G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tuning question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tuning question.

I want to get a tune, but Is Uprev really worth it? Theres a shop that will do a tune in the Los Angeles area that quoted me $650, seems like alot, and almost the price of the Uprev, already spending that much, why not a little more, you know? And if Uprev is that much better, would the Standard be sufficient? These cars are not new anymore, they've probably had a ton of cars with my same setup and they can just email me the software update with the proper specs. I'm not running forced induction, or I would definitley go to a pro tuner no questions asked. My current setup is a z-tube w/ k&n filter, Motordyne 5/16 spacer, NWP 75mm throttle body, Stillen catback, and currently waiting om high flow cats. Thanks everyone:confused

Old 01-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Members spend $1200 on an exhaust system and get 6 to 10 WHP and they're satisfied. Get a Osiris tune for $400+ and get 25+ WHP along with 19 lbs. torque, those are results that will keep you smiling for years! Don't mind driving to Canoga Park in the Valley, give SpecialtyZ a call (818) 703-6272 ask Seb what he charges for a tune on your G35. He tuned SLICK 10 years ago and I call on him for issues no one else can resolve.
Gary

Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,461 Likes on 2,153 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wait until you have the HFC and then definitely get the tune. A tune is what brings the whole package together and dollar for dollar will be the most cost effective WHP gain. Plus it's a substantial gain in both performance and driveability.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 PM
I want to get the tune, but getting it done at a shop vs doing the e-tune thing Osiris offers. They send you something that downloads your cars stats, you send it back to them, then they do there thing and send you an update in a few weeks, and its a third the cost. I get what your saying though, I spent $1500 on my exhaust, but will get more out of a tune tjays cheaper. Makes me feel dumb when you put it that way, jk. Thanks for the quick replys.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Members spend $1200 on an exhaust system and get 6 to 10 WHP and they're satisfied. Get a Osiris tune for $400+ and get 25+ WHP along with 19 lbs. torque, those are results that will keep you smiling for years! Don't mind driving to Canoga Park in the Valley, give SpecialtyZ a call (818) 703-6272 ask Seb what he charges for a tune on your G35. He tuned SLICK 10 years ago and I call on him for issues no one else can resolve.
Gary
Joe, SpecialtyZ does the Osiris tune on his dyno! Nothing in the mail, call make an appointment and get it done the right way...after your HFC's are installed!
Gary

Old 01-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As I understand it the Osiris etune is not a stand-a-lone solution. It is only a fine tune on the map that a dealer has already constructed using data logged from your engine.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's literally what an engine tune is yes, fine tuning the fuel map to fill in holes where you are lean/rich. It makes a big difference on ANY vehicle. Uprev tuning also removes the throttle position restriction at low rpms, top speed governor, rev limit if you have built the motor to handle higher rpms, etc. One of the users here Seymore4 does e-tunes and you can PM him for details.

You can also run multiple fuel maps and switch between them, separate map for fuel economy, performance, valet mode, etc.

You can tune an engine that's 100% stock and pick up an extra 10whp with much better overall driveability. The gains on a modded engine are much higher.

Also, the dealership doesn't offer map tuning like you're thinking, as far as I'm aware they only do up to +\- 2 timing advance adjustment based on knock conditions as reported by the customer. The ECU makes a broad range of adjustment based on engine conditions which is good enough at the dealer level but there is still a LOT of room for improvement.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If this is a reply to my post I apparently didn't make myself clear. Let me try again. My comments were regarding the $150 Osiris e-tune comment in post #4 as being a cheaper alternative than a full tune by a Osiris dealer.
What I tried to explain was that the e-tune option was only for use after you had already received a full Osiris tune and something had changed on the vehicle requiring minor adjustments. My reference to dealer was a Osiris dealer not a car dealership. Sorry for any confusion.
This is from the Osiris web site.

eTune Steps
1.Additional eTune(s) can be purchased if you have purchased UpRev Standard drectly from our store. If you purchased UpRev Standard from one of our dealers, you will have to purchase a BASE Tune as well.
2.Data Log your vehicle while running the Base Tune (or Map) that is to be changed. (Usually your 91 or 93 Performance Map)
3.Email the Log (.csv) to the eTune@uprev.com mailbox.
4.Wait 1-2 weeks for us to review the logs and make the necessary changes to your tune.
5.When your response email arrives, your new tune file will be attached. Save this file to your Uprev/ROM Editor directory or another location you can easily find.
6.Flash the new tuned ROM file onto your ECU.

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
That's literally what an engine tune is yes, fine tuning the fuel map to fill in holes where you are lean/rich. It makes a big difference on ANY vehicle. Uprev tuning also removes the throttle position restriction at low rpms, top speed governor, rev limit if you have built the motor to handle higher rpms, etc. One of the users here Seymore4 does e-tunes and you can PM him for details.

You can also run multiple fuel maps and switch between them, separate map for fuel economy, performance, valet mode, etc.

You can tune an engine that's 100% stock and pick up an extra 10whp with much better overall driveability. The gains on a modded engine are much higher.

Also, the dealership doesn't offer map tuning like you're thinking, as far as I'm aware they only do up to +\- 2 timing advance adjustment based on knock conditions as reported by the customer. The ECU makes a broad range of adjustment based on engine conditions which is good enough at the dealer level but there is still a LOT of room for improvement.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There is the "base tune" which are presets based on which modifications have been made to the vehicle which are then refined using datalogging for a custom tune. Any further changes to the engine and you should retune yes.

There are two types of uprev tunes, one is done at an uprev authorized shop and is the full dyno tune. The other is done remotely via data logs and is referred to as an "e-tune" which usually gains you about 80% of the potential that a full dyno tune gets.

Some folks simply opt for the base tune and never even have a custom tune done but I dont really recommend it, spend the money and at least get an e-tune.

E-tunes are a standalone option which is great for folks who don't have an uprev tuner nearby.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM
I was looking into the e-tune because you figure they have to have the maps ready to go with so mamy people having almost the same bolt ons, should be the same tune but half the cost. However, I did find a shop, thanks to Gary, with a good price. And reading the previous response, it looks like the e-tune is an adjustment to already tuned car, I thought it was standalone. Hell, maybe its both. Of course a tune specifically set to my car is gonna be better, and I can't wait to see what my bolt ons were able to add. Or I might end up writing a "broken heart" thread, lol.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
Etuning is the same thing as dyno tuning, just that it is done remotely over email and based off of datalogs that you record while driving instead of on the dyno. The SAME EXACT tuning software is being installed on your ECU.

Whether you're getting dyno tuned or etuned both of them will start with a base tune that the tuner creates based on their personal experience tuning similar setups, then is refined and customized to fit your car based on the data that is captured.

The main difference is price; when you get tuned on the dyno you typically pay $600-800 for just the ECU reflash and tune, and do not receive the reflash cable. Etuning is around $600 and includes the reflash cable ($225 value).

As long as the guy doing the etuning knows what he's doing the tune will be 95% as good as a full dyno tune, and is a very popular option for simple NA builds. Only downside is that you don't get the dyno sheet to brag about online.

Feel free to PM me directly if you have any questions, not everyone on here knows what they're talking about...

Last edited by seymore4; 08-22-2021 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sure wish we had Uprev for my GTO. HP Tuners is the most used software for tuning those cars but I like Uprev a lot better.

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (01-24-2018)
Old 08-22-2021, 04:52 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Joe, did you ever get around to the tune? We have very similar mods, just wondering how you felt the car behaved before and after.