G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2003 G35 engine exchange PROBLEMS!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 G35 engine exchange PROBLEMS!!!

I hope someone can help me. About 1 1/2 years ago I bought a used 2003 G35. All went well until it spun a bearing on the #1 cylinder. But the engine had over 175k so i thought I'd just drop a new engine into it sense everything else was ok and the body was good.

My father-in-law said his repair guy could do it. I talked to him and settled on a price, $1400 for the engine and $1000 for labor. The engine came from a car that got rear ended and is in good running condition. This joker said it would take about a week.

week goes by, joker says just needs to get wires back together. I send him pics of my connections from my other G35. Weeks go by, months go by. After 6 months of bull I ask him what's the problem. He says it needs a wiring harness and he's looking for one.

So after waiting 10 months on a job that should've taken a week, I tell him I'm sending a tow truck to get it. I take it to a guy that worked for Nissan and said he could fix it. Within 15 minutes he had it running. Problem was the computer started doing weird things. He said it needed to go to Infiniti to have the computer reset.

So I tow it to Infiniti to reset the computer. They have it for a day. Next day they call and say they can't reset it because it doesn't run. but it won't run because it's not reset? Round and around we go. So I pick it up and take it back to Nissan man.

Nissan man says engine has to come back out and new wiring harness installed because the old wires were stretched by joker idiot yanking the engine out. That should get it....I hope? The cost is an additional $1800. So I towed it to my house where it sits now.

Can anyone help with engine install info? Think it needs a new harness? computer reset?

Old 05-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Yikes. I did my swap in a few weekends by myself for the first time for around 800 bucks and you paid some guy almost 2k and waited ten months? Sheesh I'm in the wrong line of work lol. If you need some pointers I can definitely help you out

But as far as your question goes have you heard the car running or this is word of mouth kinda deal.

What kind of weird things was the car doing?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry this reply took so long. And yes this turd scalped me. I've done a couple of engine exchanges back in my day but not a newer vehicle. I have the tools and mechanical ability just not the time to mess with it. Which now it seems I have to anyway.

Yes the car is verified running or at least starting though it is not driveable.

Once the new mechanic got it started, it drained the battery. Alternator wasn't even hooked up. After it was connected, the injectors turned off.

As the new mech explained to me, the wiring harness was stretched and the resistance on some of the wires have changed and thus causing problems. Seems like it's a logical guess so a harness is where we'll start.

Any step by step threads about engine exchanges procedures?