G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 coupe overheating problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 coupe overheating problems

I have a 2004 AT coupe. The car hasn't been driven since 2016 until recently when i decided to gift to a family member and we realized it was overheating.
I read up.on the forums and found out about the fan issues, which sure enough one of them wasn't working. We bought one off ebay, changed it and it worked perfect.
The car has been parked downhill on a slope for a week and I went to drive it today to get tires changed and car all of a sudden starts running hot. If i left it cool down, and drive for about another minute, the temp reader is almost at the top.

I made another stop on a slope for it to cool down. When i started back driving, it did not run hot again. I also read on the forums about the bleeding of the system. When the heat is put on the highest on idle, it blows cool air. When you rev it up, it become hot. I drove car home and it overheated again and i turned it off at a red light to let it cool down. Once i started it back, it stopped overheating and when i got home, i let it idle for about 5mins and it did not overheat.

Will this be a bleeding issue or would i need new thermometer and waterp pump? The mechanic was recommending those. The carrier will pick up the car to deliver to my sister on sunday and i want to get this fixed asap. Any help is appreciated if you have had similar issues.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sounds like air trapped in the system. Turn the heater up on full blast and go for a drive to try to get the bubbles out. Lay on the throttle good once it gets to operating temp to get that water pump spinning fast. Hopefully this will burp the air out of the heater core

Out of curiosity have to checked coolant levels and did this problem suddenly arise simply from sitting for 2 years? If so it's probably just a corroded and stuck thermostat, especially if no one followed the maintenance interval of changing the coolant every 30k miles.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Sounds like air trapped in the system. Turn the heater up on full blast and go for a drive to try to get the bubbles out. Lay on the throttle good once it gets to operating temp to get that water pump spinning fast. Hopefully this will burp the air out of the heater core

Out of curiosity have to checked coolant levels and did this problem suddenly arise simply from sitting for 2 years? If so it's probably just a corroded and stuck thermostat, especially if no one followed the maintenance interval of changing the coolant every 30k miles.
thanks a lot. Will try this tomorrow. Yes we did not do any maintenance on it. Just changed brakes and tune ups, we did not touch the fluids. I have bought an autozone thermostat, would this work fine or are the problematic? Could this possibly be a water pump issue?

Old 08-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I doubt it's your water pump. The fins are made of metal and driven directly by the timing chain, so if it goes bad either the bearings are shot (you'll hear them) or possibly the fins rust off (unlikely). There is also a weep hole where if it's leaking coolant it would probably be the o-ring that went bad.

Check the upper and lower hose when the car is at operating temp one should be slightly cooler than the other. If you swap out the thermostat just make sure you spend a good amount of time getting the air out. Usually, takes me about 45-1.5 hours to make sure everything is good and then I do cleric's suggestion. To get the final bubbles out go for a quick drive on the highway to circulate the air bubbles out.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:33 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
OEM or Hitachi sensor? Accept no substitutes! The Nissans demand it. Aftermarket sensors commonly have issues.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Lol u liek necro??

Guess the infiniscroll got you.

The following users liked this post:
G2B35AGN (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Yep, infiniscroll got me. Now that my updated phone won't run the no-longer-supported app, I'm forced to not enjoy the mobile website. I hate it. My routine is to call up new posts, read the ones of interest, then mark all forums as read to clear out the cruft for the next visit. You can't "mark all as read" on the mobile website, at least that I've been able to find.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'll pass on the suggestion to IB, how did the "mark all as read" work in the app?

Was it on the "new posts" page and you could just mark them all as read?

Old 05-16-2021, 09:01 PM
Well, the app is gone from the phone now since it doesn't work any more, so I can't check. If I recall correctly, it was a selection you could make from the drop down navigation menu that you'd get when you hit the three horizontal bars icon in the upper left-hand corner.

But honestly, it's a little fuzzy. It was so automatic, I didn't have to think about it at all. Kind of like the famous test for your powers of observation and memory--something that you've seen many many times but never really looked at too closely: which direction does Lincoln face on a penny? LOL

Old 05-16-2021, 09:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Damn, that's going to stick in my head until I find a penny, thanks...