G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Does this look or sound bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I have my undercarriage protector off and I daily drive my G regardless of road conditions in the Maine winter, sometimes I go out in the snow just to play. The aluminum parts of the front of my engine look just like that, but no harm done. If the oil pan is okay, I don't think any problems can be caused by a little salty water getting onto the engine unless all the grease in the electrical connectors is missing.

My oil pan was rusty but when I bought it I sanded and repainted it and now it's all good with yearly touchups. However it's a nightmare to work on anything in the undercarriage because of the rust, every bolt is corroded, and stripped threads are the norm. If you have access to non-rusty cars don't put yourself thru that.

What I'm most concerned about is all the rust around the front strut mounting points and on the struts itself. That's not going to happen unless someone left the car outside in the rain/snow for a long time with the hood open (mine are perfectly clean and my car's a rust bucket). What other abuse has that poor car suffered?

Hard pass!
Yeah that one in the video im definitely passing on. But I saw another one that wasn't nearly as rusty but still had the weird pattern on the engine bay. But I agree with you guys, that that's not a huge issue. But obviously rust is lol. Definitely not uncommon for old cars to have that bottom plastic sag/get ripped out. I think its happened on half the cars ive owned and they're all 2004 and older. Including my current IS.

Thats very shitty to hear about the underside being so rusty. Thats how my old integra was. The big plus about my is300 is you could actually work on things. With the integra, everything was a big project. Brakes, a bushings, control arms, exhaust, etc. because every single thing was rusted to ****. I couldn't even align the toe anymore because it was seized in place. For some reason though my is300 is just perfect under.

I think ill just keep on the lookout for both 350z and G35's and whichever one I find that's in my price/mile/year range and in good condition ill go with that one. I like them both. Like I said though, huge shame about the underside. not looking forward to that.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Actually, despite the fact that both my rear QPs were completely rusted out and I had/have a giant hole in my rocker panels the only bolts that really gave me trouble were the transmission cross member bolts (they all stripped out and are now larger sized), front crossmember bolts (they all stripped out and are now larger sized), the exhaust bolts (well duh), and some of the suspension bolts that hadn't been touched in 15 years. When I get around to rebuilding the rear suspension I'm expecting to break every bolt on the rear K member as well, although the member itself looks savable with a wire drill and some POR15

Pretty much everything in the suspension that would rust on a more typical car is made of aluminum except for a few key points, which seem to be pretty well isolated from road salt given that my rusted out car is completely spotless in all the suspension pickup areas (thankfully, otherwise I'd be back to driving a Corolla and would have to unlearn all my ******* driving habits.... I love my Brembos)

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-29-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Actually, despite the fact that both my rear QPs were completely rusted out and I had/have a giant hole in my rocker panels the only bolts that really gave me trouble were the transmission cross member bolts (they all stripped out and are now larger sized), front crossmember bolts (they all stripped out and are now larger sized), the exhaust bolts (well duh), and some of the suspension bolts that hadn't been touched in 15 years. When I get around to rebuilding the rear suspension I'm expecting to break every bolt on the rear K member as well, although the member itself looks savable with a wire drill and some POR15

Pretty much everything in the suspension that would rust on a more typical car is made of aluminum except for a few key points, which seem to be pretty well isolated from road salt given that my rusted out car is completely spotless in all the suspension pickup areas (thankfully, otherwise I'd be back to driving a Corolla and would have to unlearn all my ******* driving habits.... I love my Brembos)
I mean that sounds like a pretty big pain in the *** hahaha