Getting started modding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 sport coupe 6mt with brembo kit and Rear gutted
Getting started modding

Hi guys,
this will be my first post here so if im doing anything wrong please let me know! With that being said as the title says im looking into starting to mod my 2005 g35 coupe, some background info the car was aquired via a trade end of last summer so i dont know the history of it much at all from what i can tell preformance is pretty much completly stock with the 6mt trans and the brembo kit the car has been respraye a matte black with decently dark tint my guess is in the sub 35% range has aftermarket tail ligths and headlights, some sweet bronze color 20" avant garde wheels (which i may sell to go to something different to match a different color scheme in the future tho im on the fence about this) and some sort of off brand (from what i can tell) exhaust cat back that has cracked and sounds like ****, also its gutted from the seats back. My goals for this car is to run it street and track hopefully getting into the 12 sec 1/4 mile range tho i will primarily run it on road course as that is currently what interests me the most. I would also like to have a hydro setup with dual rear calipers so I can mess around in drift events if i ever get bored ( obviously with a different set of wheels and tires). so with that info in mind what recommendations for mods (and specific brands would be helpfull) do you guys have for these cars as my knowlege base on the VQ platform is slim. so far the things i know im going to do are a new exhaust (cat back for know as im unsure if im going forced induction soon or not), coil overs all around as the meaty tires rub on hard accelerating with the worn out shocks im looking at the Megan Racing® - EZ II Series Front and Rear Coilover Kit for about $750 usd. also for sure doing a new cat back for a better and loud agressive tone im looking at the invidia gemini for $950 usd does anyone know it that will do well with forced induction if i go that route? also looking at a kinetix racing manifold paired with a injen cold air intake so i guess with all that said im looking for reccomendations on what else to do to the car as well as input on the part i have picked out thus far

Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Fully built NA with slicks might be able to get into the 12 second range but on street sires I don't think it's possible, the only way it's happening is with an insanely low 0-60 time so you need to launch hard.

I recommend you start shopping for a Vortec S/C kit, much cheaper than full mods on an NA and it will get you where you want to he with less headaches.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The Injen, like most aftermarket intakes, suffer from heat soak. You will need to do a lot more weight reduction to get in the 12 second range with just bolt-ons and a tune. FI or nitrous will be required for that.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Coupe , building for FI
Hey bud Im in the same boat as you.. Getting my first G and im going to mod it out.. Here is what I have for my list so far:

1. New water pump & Timing chain
2. full header, test pipes, Motordyne TDX shockwave dual exhaust system, (headers wrapped in thermal heat tape)
3. new lower control arms with poly bushings
4. New poly motor mounts
5. new sway bar with poly bushings
6. white line rear diff bushings
7. Nismo rear diff cover (has cooling fins)
8. Aluminum Radiator
9. Exedy Stage 1 clutch with light weight fly wheel,
10. Vented oil catch can
11. intake plenum spacer
12. throttle body spacer
13. oil pan spacer
14. A arm gauge pod with glow shift gauges
15. 57 inch carbon wing
16. Full CAI (from throttle body down into the bumper)
17. A really really good tune.

That should really be a monster of an NA build right there.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:14 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you're going that far into an N/A build you should throw on a 75mm TB and an admin tuning 3.5" intake. Those two MUST be installed at the same time (or you're still bottlenecked by the other) and require tuning, but with all the other bolt-ons the extra 1/2" diameter of air volume is worth it.

If you end up with a RAS equipped '06-'07 you have to remove some of the fins on that Nismo differential cover to make room for the RAS actuator. You CANNOT use the Z1 motorsports finned diff cover though, it is much larger than the Nismo.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Coupe , building for FI
yes I have been looking at those Admin parts.. Probably have to get the intake then get the throttle body.. make do with a cheap intake until i can get both of the Admin parts to bolt on together same time.. But I want that shock wave exhaust man.. sweet sweet sounds and very well tuned to this car.. luckily, i have a g35 tuner not to far from me.. maybe 45 min drive..

the plan is get the car this year.. do a few of the smaller cheaper upgrades.. then next year my half of the tax money going to get that exhaust system and then work on getting that Admin Tuning parts.. but yeah.. i want a fully decked out NA build.. then once the motor finally pops. rebuild it with forged internals still keep it NA and just hammer on it all day everyday.. maybe get into some low key road course races with it..

Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Somebody just posted a TDX for sale in Texas for what looks to be a pretty good price....

Old 02-26-2019, 03:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only part of the rotating assembly that needs upgrading is the rods if you're going to be boosted. If you only play on N/A there's no reason to upgrade any of that stuff, stock rods are good to 400+whp