G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

B&M short throw shifter install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
B&M short throw shifter install

I bought a short throw shifter from Concept Z and installed it over the weekend - I have to say I am really happy with it. The throws are shorter, although not a huge difference it is noticeable - more importantly is how it goes into gear. It really has a more mechanical feel when going into gear and I don't have any vibrations or noise from the shifter itself. The install only took about 45 minutes, mostly because I label all my bolts when I take them out.

Shifting into reverse is easy peasy - only 5th and 6th seem to get some getting used to. I actually went into 3rd on the interstate attempting to go to 6th, as they are so close now it may take me some adjustment. I paired this with a weighted shift **** - which helps the throws. I went with a longer **** Vs. the round ball - still not sure if I may switch to the ball, but so far so good.

Easily one of the better driver mods for a few hundred dollars - you would be surprised how clunky and loose my friends G feels compared to mine... Anyways - on to the next mod.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
No vibrations from the shifter? Is there some sort of bushing in there that isolates the normal driveline vibrations on these cars?

When you took yours out which part exhibited the most wear?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 PM
The bushing is similar to stock, only a much tighter fit. I can only assume this helps to absorb the vibrations - I would even hear a noise at high RPM in 3rd and 4th when hard accelerating. It was buzzy and you could really feel the car pulling. The new shifter has none of that, it just goes into place and has almost no movement. Hard to describe - but if you drove them back to back you would see.

I kept the old, will try to get a picture up - but no real wear, I just wanted a better shift feel in my G. I only have 65k on the odometer and she was driven very softly prior to my ownership.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been trying to decide which shifter I want to get. I have heard a lot of good about the torque solutions shifter, but there was a video I watched saying it can be really hard to engage when it gets cold out (which might be a problem for me up in Canada).

How has your experience with driving it been over the first week? Any issues coming up?

Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 PM
I also saw details on the TSW shifter (its actually cheaper than the B&M!) - my engagement was most definitely more sure after the install, but a weighted shift **** really makes a difference. Once I put on the new ****, it no longer seemed as much as an effort.

For the driving - this is my garage baby - but I have put on about 250 miles since the install. It is a more sure shift and shorter throw for sure - I drove a NISMO 350Z and can honestly say they really felt similar. The G35 seems to have a taller shifter position -?? but in the end - you will find you need to adjust your clutch engagement time. I was surprised at how I was in a gear clean, long before I was engaged at the clutch level - took some getting used too. Same as driving a different vehicle with a standard, takes a few rounds before you are confident on the engagement. Hope that makes sense....

All in all - most definitely a better "driver" mod than most - and relatively cheap, as it can be done easily at home!

Some of my other reasoning for B&M -

1) TSW no longer available @ Concept Z buyer, so I try to get all my points there
2) I have had a total of three B & M shifters in my life - never had an issue
3) While more expensive than the others - it is a full kit with ring adapter and bushing....