G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

ShOuLd I gEt TeSt PiPeS?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ShOuLd I gEt TeSt PiPeS?

I know it's been asked a thousand times but I figured maybe we can get an updated discussion.

Right up front, I'm currently running:
Kinetix HFC
ISR performance y-pipe (2.5")
Exoticspeed R1t y-back (3" split to 2.5" at dual muffler)

I've had the HFC's on for almost a year now and starting to get real tired of the rasp (even though it only shows up around 3k), to the point I almost want to put the stock cats back on, but I really like the noise level, and would like to make it louder, especially since it's not my daily anymore. Obviously it's a problem trying to gain noise level without also gaining rasp.

I'm not paying 700 bucks for motordyne art pipes, and labrees basically don't exist anymore. Was thinking about getting the berk resonated test pipes (don't remember why), but after more "research" it sounds like everyone says anything berk is raspy, and HFC's are better for reducing rasp, which is what I already have. Was also considering fast intentions resonated pipes but it sounds like even they still have rasp and wouldn't be better than HFCs.

Is there any option for rasp reduction and louder sound without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money and/or replacing the whole exhaust, or am I just currently at the best happy medium I'm gonna get?

Last edited by DumpsterJedi; 05-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
There are resonated test pipes, which sounds like what you're looking for. Here's a quick two options,

https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...s-p-13917.html

and

https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...35-p-8553.html

Other sites probably have more options.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Yeah if I get anything it's gonna be resonated, but my issue is it sounds like they're gonna be just as raspy as the HFC's so might not even be worth swapping out.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
You could have a resonator or a quarter wave welded into your current HFC if there's room

Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My setup: Berks resonated test pipes, ISR y pipe, Tannabe Medallion mid pipe and muffler - I did the Berks and the ISR at first - RASP was pretty serious from 2.8 -3.5k on the tach - after it sounded great! When I added the midpipe and muffler, it really made a difference. I have a bit of RASP at the same RPM level, but it is a lower tone and not nearly as noticeable. A couple G's in the local club have the full motordyne setup, and while I cant argue about the sound, I still cant justify the price level for the full setup. Most folks really like the sound of my car and I get compliments all the time, as at idle and even low RPM I can drive the wifey around with out any discomfort - but after 3.5 she really screams... I will see if I can get a youtube post this weekend to better document the setup.

Andy

The following users liked this post:
DumpsterJedi (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Berks HFC's, not the best idea!

DumpsterJedi, with your current exhaust system you have unleashed major volume by running HFC's, then you've reduced that volume by having itflow thru a y-pipe followed by a 3" pipe again reduced to 2.5" pipe. You don't have a free flowing system, not even close! Exhaust manufactures spend hundreds of hours making sure everything flows smoothly with same size pipe and bends so rasp is reduced. Installing test pipes would only contribute to more rasp with your system! I suggest you leave it alone and live with your 3K rpm rasp or find an actual "cat back system" (no y-pipe) that flows better!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
DumpsterJedi (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. So there's really no good way to improve it without going true dual...

Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my dollar g, 05 Rev up with sport package
I had art pipes in my 37 sedan with an ark grip v2 exhaust and it had zero rasp. I know you stated you didn't want to spend the money for art pipes but they are worth every penny if you want the most power without the rasp and noise. Even with your current exhaust setup, art pipes will be your best option.