G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Single pc aluminum drive shaft + foam fill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Single pc aluminum drive shaft + foam fill

I purchased a single pc aluminum drive shaft from inland industries off CZP this week. I paid for the option to have it foam filled, it stated that it reduced vibration and noise. My question is if anyone has any experience with the foam fill and if it does indeed make any difference. Also - if you have installed a one pc drive shaft, what are your experiences? Improvement for the car? Extra torque? Better response? etc..

Thanks guys - ANDY

Old 07-18-2019, 05:45 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Never used a foam filled one, faster revs due to less rotating mass.

You generate the same POWER you just do it in less TIME.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The aluminum, even foam filled, will be an improvement over stock but how much and are the gains worth the cost? That's the eternal question plaguing G owners, if I could do our G all over again I would have just slapped a supercharger and a tune on it. More gains, less money in the long run.

My 2010 MKS Ecoboost picked up over 70HP/65TQ from just replacing spark plugs with 1 step colder plugs, a CAI and a tune, total cost for that power add-$750. Now that's what I call an efficient, cost effective mod.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 AM
I like the light weight idea as well as ditching the 2 pc special we have, I agree the gains are terrible Vs. money spent. I will report an update on it when it arrives - hoping for a butt dyno improvement if anything...

Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
I've been running an aluminum 1pc for the last several years. There definitely is a resonance frequency at certain sub 2000 rpm , no experience with foam filling, but it seems that to get the entire inside filled and maintain perfect balance would be difficult. I'm also using a lightweight flywheel and aluminum crank and accessory pulleys. RPMs drop very quickly in between shifts, but she spins up very quickly. Good thing I love to rev match and heel toe. I had a blast on the Tail of the Dragon with it a few years ago

The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I've seen people take duct tape and make a couple of wraps in like 2-3 places on the driveshaft to mellow out the bad. Not a perfect fix but they've said it helps.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EPiK
I've been running an aluminum 1pc for the last several years. There definitely is a resonance frequency at certain sub 2000 rpm , no experience with foam filling, but it seems that to get the entire inside filled and maintain perfect balance would be difficult. I'm also using a lightweight flywheel and aluminum crank and accessory pulleys. RPMs drop very quickly in between shifts, but she spins up very quickly. Good thing I love to rev match and heel toe. I had a blast on the Tail of the Dragon with it a few years ago
Kinda off topic but do you get any vibration? I’ve had a lightweight flywheel for almost a year and I just put a one piece carbon shaft in and I’ve been getting some vibration through the pedals when I’m flooring it throughout the whole rpm range, especially in low gears. Trying to find the cause.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:49 AM
So the verdict is in - almost 16lbs lighter and a 3.5" diameter. The install was so easy - I did feel like the length was not perfect as there seemed to be a bit of play back and forth prior to bolting down. For performance, I could feel a bit of difference, nothing life changing - but a bit reduced lag between shifts. Sound and vibration wise I can not tell a difference -until about 120mph - then she vibrates like hell. I think the foam may have not been the best idea - but I don't often travel at those speeds, so not sure if it will be a long term issue or not. I like to take the random fast speed pass and noticed the vibration immediately at that speed - not enough to make me change it though.

For drag racing and autox - its a good fit, quiet and instant torque feel... For high speed runs, not so much.. but then why the hell are we doing over 120mph with these cars anyways!

If I had to do again - I would.. A lot of folks telling me I am throwing away my money, but considering I don't smoke, drink, and have had the same wife for 15yrs - I think I have made much better financial decisions than them!!@

Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ArkansasG35COUPE
So the verdict is in - almost 16lbs lighter and a 3.5" diameter. The install was so easy - I did feel like the length was not perfect as there seemed to be a bit of play back and forth prior to bolting down. For performance, I could feel a bit of difference, nothing life changing - but a bit reduced lag between shifts. Sound and vibration wise I can not tell a difference -until about 120mph - then she vibrates like hell. I think the foam may have not been the best idea - but I don't often travel at those speeds, so not sure if it will be a long term issue or not. I like to take the random fast speed pass and noticed the vibration immediately at that speed - not enough to make me change it though.

For drag racing and autox - its a good fit, quiet and instant torque feel... For high speed runs, not so much.. but then why the hell are we doing over 120mph with these cars anyways!

If I had to do again - I would.. A lot of folks telling me I am throwing away my money, but considering I don't smoke, drink, and have had the same wife for 15yrs - I think I have made much better financial decisions than them!!@
I've only been above 120mph a few times since I've had the drive shaft installed, but I don't remember noticing any vibrations.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by ArkansasG35COUPE

The whole point of driveline weight reduction is to spool up revs faster. Getting you to peak HP faster. That's where you notice it most!

Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 PM
I think the vibration is most likely coming from the foam filling - it sounded like a good option, as I take the wife on road trips occasionally and she is has completely stopped riding in the NISMO due to noise and ride quality. So if I would have opted to NOT include the foam filling - the vibration issue may have not even been a concern.

It does seem to spool up the revs a bit faster - a local 350 owner said it is almost identical to his light weight fly wheel in terms of the spool up time. I only had two solid reviews on YOUTUBE - both seem to give it a bit more credit for the butt dyno than what I am actually seeing. Don't get me wrong, I think its a good option - especially since I plan to change out the gear ratio eventually. That final drive may be the next mod...