G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Horsepower + torque doesn't always =faster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sillyhenry
Gearing also plays a major role in 1/4 mile times...

Two changes that comes to mind. Gear change to 5.15 final drive and a set of sticky "Slicks" 3450 LB car 336 rwhp. IM feeling 11s and about 120 mph 1/4 mile. Ouch" How could somebody do that to a G35. The Gs just are not set up for drag racing. 50% of the gearing is reserved for above 100 mph speeds. Not bad at all for a 3.5 liter engine.

Drag racing!! I still hear" the parts breaking.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G's are just too darn heavy imho.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this talk about speed, horsepower, torque has got my head hurting. I say if you don't live for the drag-strip/auto-X etc....then get over it! Tenths of seconds make no difference on the streets. How often do you take it to redline from one stop light to the other?

Its a quick car and if you drive on the streets, then we don't need to be talking about this. But again thats ONLY my opinion.

I bought the car because it is overall quick, elegant and Im not part of the general crowd (i.e. MB, BMW, ACURA, etc...).

This is more of a topic for people who race thier cars on straight aways...LEGALLY.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:12 PM
What I donot believe is the skill of the drivers of Road and Track. I usually watch the movies made by Best Motoring. GT500 racers have ever tested 04 stock 350Z with the 1/4 mile result of 13.86-14.1 in the wet condition. Sometime the test results really depend on the driving skill.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neffster
True story... I rode in Gspot35's Vortec S/C'd sedan and we raced an early 2000 model year corvette. He smoked it in his G35 Sedan. He did not spent $10,000 and he smoked the vette, and for the record the vette was clearly racing him because when the 2 lanes merged into one Craig slowed down and the vette was all over Craigs butt when we slowed down.

The problem is the initiall traction when you're at a stand still. If you're at a roll of 5-10 mph, you can still get major acceleration and not spin the tires too badly with FI on the G35. It's the dumping of the clutch from a dead stop (with steel belted radials) with the additoinal 100rwhp that's killing all of the 1/4 mile times.
Neffster has it right. The Vortech and ATI superchargers are not the best choice for quarter mile type performance. They are centrifugal type turbines, and that means you don't really start producing power until after 3000 rpms. They are best for road course racing, which matches up nicely with the way you performance drive an NA car as well...you want it up there around 5500rpms+. When you are rolling and get into the throttle the FI power advantage gets put to the ground and you scream forward. Their advantage over the turbos is the spool up from exhaust gas, though the advances in turbo design are helping a great deal in the lag department, and of course their disadvantage is the parasitic loss from the belts. But "right now" power that is seamless is what you want when you are timing your moves and control inputs in fractions of a second. A quarter second hitch in predictable throttle response while dive bombing into a curve inside an opponent is not only totally unacceptable...it feels like forever. And any turbo "kick" as you are at the edge of adhesion in the turn is sufficient to have you express yourself in sailor blush terms. If you spool up these types of FI cars to get the power off a dead stop...you are going to spin tires. Theoretically the roots/eaton type blower, or if you can get one a lysholm/bell twin screw blower, will do much better off the line. The roots will be all finished by the time you get to 3500rpm. The lysholm will keep on putting out increased power until 6000rpm at least. The centrifugals will keep going up until 6500rpms....thus their reputation for being "lazy" or "relaxed". The challenge is not that increased hp and torque somehow do not result in more power...they absolutely do. The challenge is in dealing with putting it to work rather than wasting it in wheel spin and not translating it to forward motion. Brain dead driving never helps either.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Z2G
i find that almost unbelievable....why would nissan make an "anniversary edition", market it with "more" hp and power, and have it actually slower than the previous 287 hp 350z's? that would be a serious marketing blunder. you would think that the developers would access if the increase in hp would increase performance. if it does not, would just being able to advertise 300 hp be a good move if it's actually slower? previous car and driver mags report the 03 350z running at 5.4 sec 0-60. that's a serious downgrade if true.

It will sell them faster.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
True story... I rode in Gspot35's Vortec S/C'd sedan and we raced an early 2000 model year corvette. He smoked it in his G35 Sedan. He did not spent $10,000 and he smoked the vette, and for the record the vette was clearly racing him because when the 2 lanes merged into one Craig slowed down and the vette was all over Craigs butt when we slowed down.

The problem is the initiall traction when you're at a stand still. If you're at a roll of 5-10 mph, you can still get major acceleration and not spin the tires too badly with FI on the G35. It's the dumping of the clutch from a dead stop (with steel belted radials) with the additoinal 100rwhp that's killing all of the 1/4 mile times.

I was just about to post what he said ^.

Neff is exactly right. The extra hp puts a new dimension on taking off from a dead stop. I can't really do any better 0-60 times with FI than when it was stock.

1/4 mile times you will see somewhat of a better time due to the fact that you have a longer distance to make up what you have lost starting off.

If all the cars tested were on Drag Slicks you would have seen a vast difference in times.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Well.....my question is....

Who the hell buys (or cares about) a G35 for 1/4 mle, straight line Drag Racing?????

For me....it is all about the curves, corners and handleing in the twisties!!!
My mod money is going to wheels, tires, springs, shocks and sways!!!

Old 03-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Who the hell buys (or cares about) a G35 for 1/4 mle, straight line Drag Racing?????

For me....it is all about the curves, corners and handleing in the twisties!!!
My mod money is going to wheels, tires, springs, shocks and sways!!!
I so agree. Everyone is always so obsessed about putting power down on a dyno or how fast they run the 1/4. When in reality, a dyno can only simulate so much of daily driving environments, and different dynos put out different numbers. Going fast in a straight line equates to how much money you're willing to dump into your car, stripping the thing down to the bare bones, and spending a lot of money on slicks. IMO I'd rather spend a day at the track where things get a lil more interesting than driving in a straight line all day.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Straight-line acceleration requires a lot more than just hp and torque. They keys to quick acceleration are:
Traction
Weight
WHP
WTQ
HP Curve
TQ Curve

A number of modifications increase peak HP and TQ at the expense of the HP and TQ curves. In other words, they restrict all of the power to a very narrow band in the rev range. Unless you really know how to drive only in that range (assuming your gearing even allows you to do so) you are likely to see a decrease in performance. While this is much less intrusive in straight-line performance, it is often plainly obvious in the twisties.