How well does stock oil cooler perform?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 05:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
G35 Manual
How well does stock oil cooler perform?

hello all,

Has anyone measured how the stock oil cooler does overall? it only comes to mind as I sit here looking at it while I was putting it back on (new oil cooler seal was put on). It seems so different from aftermarket, since I don't even see where the coolant goes to, usually aftermarket it goes straight to a secondary radiator for it. But I guess this goes somewhere else.

I'm on this part of the car right now, also fixing the oil pressure sensor I broke, and I see the wire leading down to it needed to be heat sleeved, it's right next to the alternator. And I spun on a new oil filter while doing all that as well.

Thanks for any info people might have found

Old 08-07-2022, 12:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's a coolant/oil heat exchanger, not an actual oil cooler.

The coolant loop FROM the engine feeds the oil cooler, which then feeds back into the engine loop at the thermostat, I would say it's decent for short bursts but even a cheapo aftermarket oil cooler will be SUBSTANTIALLY better.

A lot of the heat exchange will depend on your radiator, for example I put in a bigger aftermarket radiator which provides significantly better cooling. Therefor the oil heat exchanger will always be able to work as efficiently as it can because coolant is always going to be a stable temp.

Highest I hit was 247F and that was on a day when the ambient temp in the shade was 115F. Granted that's still REALLY hot oil and if I was doing that regularly I would definitely be installing an aftermarket cooler. That was my 4th lap and I was starting to lose my brakes anyways (wasn't on super aggressive pads).

The following users liked this post:
2003G35stock (08-07-2022)
Old Today, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x
Originally Posted by cleric670
It's a coolant/oil heat exchanger, not an actual oil cooler.

The coolant loop FROM the engine feeds the oil cooler, which then feeds back into the engine loop at the thermostat, I would say it's decent for short bursts but even a cheapo aftermarket oil cooler will be SUBSTANTIALLY better.

A lot of the heat exchange will depend on your radiator, for example I put in a bigger aftermarket radiator which provides significantly better cooling. Therefor the oil heat exchanger will always be able to work as efficiently as it can because coolant is always going to be a stable temp.

Highest I hit was 247F and that was on a day when the ambient temp in the shade was 115F. Granted that's still REALLY hot oil and if I was doing that regularly I would definitely be installing an aftermarket cooler. That was my 4th lap and I was starting to lose my brakes anyways (wasn't on super aggressive pads).
I guess to make oil cooler more efficient you can add something like transmission oil cooler in the coolant line between cylinder head output and oil exchanger.
It should drop antifreeze temperature for oil exchanger by 20F or so.