G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just another "why no more Brembo" thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just another "why no more Brembo" thread...

Not really. I am doing a industry paper on Auto parts manufacture's and found this article about Brembo.......
Dateline: MILAN, Italy —

Brake manufacturer Brembo S.p.A. is closing three factories in Italy and shifting production to Poland to cut costs.

Brembo said it would keep three plants near the northern Italian city of Bergamo to focus on research and development as well as braking systems. Only one of its four disc plants will stay open, with the rest moving to Poland.

The company would not reveal how much it will save by shutting the Italian factories. But Brembo did say it was being squeezed by a jump in prices of raw materials, including steel.
Damn steel prices!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChazM
Not really. I am doing a industry paper on Auto parts manufacture's and found this article about Brembo.......

Damn steel prices!
Yep, a lot of it is the huge demand by the burgeoning economy of China and their insatiable appetite for various commodities including steel and oil. They are building the equivalent of the city of Toronto every 3 months.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Yep, a lot of it is the huge demand by the burgeoning economy of China and their insatiable appetite for various commodities including steel and oil. They are building the equivalent of the city of Toronto every 3 months.
Tell me about it...even what we are getting paid for scrap is through the roof. The fluctuating prices are both good and bad for the industry and companies alike. The buying binge China was on has slowed some, which has helped prices level off a bit (still quite high), but who knows how long it will be until they are back at it again.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002ap1
Tell me about it...even what we are getting paid for scrap is through the roof. The fluctuating prices are both good and bad for the industry and companies alike. The buying binge China was on has slowed some, which has helped prices level off a bit (still quite high), but who knows how long it will be until they are back at it again.
The big build boom that drove the steel prices up is supposed to have let up, so near the end of the summer we should be seeing the steel prices drop back down to sane levels.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotors are cast grey iron [in various quality grades] not steel.
Steel is significantly more non heat conductive.

Raw materials are less than 16% of finished rotor cost --------labor cost in Italy.

Why Chinese rotors sell for $22 delivered in US.......no SS, no pensions, no health, 64 -88 cents per hour factory wage.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9/b3911401.htm

Poland is 1/4 of Italy in factory wages still 3 times more expensive than China.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Why Chinese rotors sell for $22 delivered in US.......no SS, no pensions, no health, 64 -88 cents per hour factory wage.
They also make crappy rotors. Almost all replacement rotors are made in China now and they warp very easily.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by GZire
The big build boom that drove the steel prices up is supposed to have let up, so near the end of the summer we should be seeing the steel prices drop back down to sane levels.
i doubt it ... but let's pray. i'm in the stainless steel industry... and it isn't the price of steel so much as the surcharges that pisses me off. they seem to be hiking them up month-by-month. our manufacturing plant has had to shut some of our product lines down and import from china/taiwan/thailand. our raw materials now cost more money for each part then the finished good we recieve from asia.... and this price includes all shipping, duties, etc for each asian part. how's that for a wake-up call in north america!

Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Steel is made from iron.

I went to China last fall and there was construction everywhere. The streets are mad chaos w/ all the cars and crazy drivers. I think the world is doing a very bad thing by investing all this money into China. Sure, they make crappy quality parts but they are cheap, so everyone makes their products there, but it's just part of their plan...once they have the world in their grasp, they are going to take over by raising their build quality and becoming the next Japan.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Lets all not try to think tooo much, biz is biz is biz, it has always been

Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i doubt it ... but let's pray. i'm in the stainless steel industry...
Another G35 member in the industry? Nice.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2002ap1
Another G35 member in the industry? Nice.
can i ask what u do? we manufacture sanitary stainless steel fittings.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Check my profile!

We are a distributor of any and all stainless steel products (pvf, sheet/plate, fittings, etc.).

Old 03-17-2005, 01:24 PM
maybe not for car parts, but the overall quality of products made in china is very good these days. it used to be very bad, but quality has improved greatly in the past several years.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by uclabruins
maybe not for car parts, but the overall quality of products made in china is very good these days. it used to be very bad, but quality has improved greatly in the past several years.
haven't seen much quality in our industry... most of the fittings we bring in spark a lot when welding. sometimes i have problems getting material test reports... because they (asian side) themselves don't know what the material is made of. probably from a lot of *wink wink* recycling they do with their waste.

2002ap1... sent u a pm

Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I think instead of moving to China, and paying people pennies, they should

A. Pay the chinesse a fair price
B. Raise prices of their product

I guess that would be ideal... sometimes I guess you have to take advantage of people to stay in the market =\

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just another "why no more Brembo" thread...