G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

crappy mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pointman1
damn it. this is ridiculous, i need a solution.
Double check your math first. Second go to another dealer if your math is right. There is no way 12 is normal. You would be seeing steady improvements and be a lot better than now if breakin had something to do with it.
It's interesting about what others have experienced with their mileage as the car broke in. I can't understand it but my best one ever was my very first tank full and I haven't matched it yet in the city(same) conditions. Before any replies about why- it has nothng to do with how easy I drove in break in or afterwards. I've tried babying the car at times and can't coax more than 19 (US) out of it in combined driving. I now get about 21mpg avg. combined driving and 32 hwy in Canadian gallons driving easy. That converts to 16.8 city and 25.6 highway factoring in your smaller US gallons.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

You are not just going by what the Nav system tells you are ya? (if you have Nav)

How many miles do you normally get to a tank before the light comes on?

I don't really keep track of mine that close but....

My car just hit 17K miles and for the past year...I don't think I have ever gotten less than 300 mi. before the light....even driving it hard.

Then when I fill it, it normally holds right at +- 15 gal.....so that is right at 20 mpg.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 05 Coupe and drive 50/50 Freeway & Streets. I'm using 91 and I'm getting an average of 20mpg since day 1. I've had the Coupe since Feb 16th with 2k miles on the Coupe so far

Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 AM
That does sound suspiciously low, getting only 12mpg. I have a 3 month old Pathfinder that does better than that.

Early on, I saw 14 mpg in my G, when doing mostly stop & go driving, but that was about the lowest I would get. Now that it's broken in better, I average 16-18 mpg in the same kind of driving (far, far better on the highway), and I admittedly have a leaden right foot.

But it also didn't take me 5000 miles to start seeing those improvments. Your G should already be broken in enough to be doing better than that.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't think you ever mentioned what type of driving you're doing. How much of it is stop and go in city traffic?

Old 03-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by sherwooa
It's not unheard of to get lousy mileage until the engine breaks in more, perhaps more than 5-7k, although it seems unlikely that you would see a big spike at that point. And 11-12 does seem low. Are you sure you're counting correctly? Are you dividing the number of miles on the odo by the number of gallons it takes to refill the tank? Also, what kind of driving do you do and how far do you go? For instance, my daily commute is 6 miles of stop and go backroads, and I get about 15-15.5 mpg. I only have 1800 miles on my 04.5 6MT coupe.
i am definitely doing my math right. i do a variation of city and highway driving. i do not drive my g that much.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:08 PM
my car has almost 15,000 miles on it...i have never gotten over 300 miles..fuel light goes on at about 240...

Old 03-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have a little over 1000 miles.. on the pervious tank i got 14mpg but i was doing alot of street driving (more stop and go) and i was not soft on the pedal.. On my first few tanks when I was breaking her in I got 17, 18, 19 mpg.

i have 6MT coupe btw.. gas saving driving = under 3,000 RPM on a flat road.. exceptions would be on the freeway, going up hill, downshifting...

ways to save gas:
1. when your on the freeway try to NOT step on the brake pedal see if u can get all the way from point A to B (assuming traffic is minor)
2. NEVER step on the gas all the way down especially at low RPMs.. for the manual ppl , downshifting helps your milage alot
3. manauls: when your slowing down do not just shift to neutral but learn to heel-toe or whatever method u can come up with and downshift.. keeping your rpms between 1k-3k this will actually HELP your milage and its alot safer.
4. think to urself if your foot is ever OFF a pedal, when my friend drives his foot is always on the gas, if not the brake..
5. Drive with the A/C off? A/C = power, power = gas
6. roll up your windows when you drive.. its stupid but you'll save a bit.. less drag on your car, less power it'll need to stay at speed... sounds stupid but it helps a LITTLE bit.. probably not noticable in short terms..

but seriously tho 12mpg -.- my dad's 1998 5.something liter chevy SUV could do better then that on a city.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:29 PM
i am with you on all of that. and i am so gentle on the throttle, it upshifts at 2500rpm.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pointman1
i am with you on all of that. and i am so gentle on the throttle, it upshifts at 2500rpm.
i've seen people that dont downshift as their road condition changes.. IE: going up a hill.. they're still in 6th gear at 45-50mph.. they just step further down on the pedal

Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I honestly think it is because you are not using high enough octane. You need to run at least 91 or higher. If you use 87 or something its going to run like crap. Especially if you are at a lower elevation. Also, "pinging" comes from using too low of octane. You can go fill up with 112 octane race gas and you will be fine, but if you go fill up with 80 octane then you're car is going to ping like a SOB. I have built high compression and low compression F/I cars and higher octane is ALWAYS better. My 400+ acura integra wouldn't run on anything less than 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster.

All I'm saying is try it for a few tanks and see if there is an improvement. Also, you need to get your car up in the rpms a few times. I dont' know exactly how you drive but if you don't rev your car when it is fairly new it won't run the way it should. HP speaking of course.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Import-Tooner
I honestly think it is because you are not using high enough octane. You need to run at least 91 or higher. If you use 87 or something its going to run like crap. Especially if you are at a lower elevation. Also, "pinging" comes from using too low of octane. You can go fill up with 112 octane race gas and you will be fine, but if you go fill up with 80 octane then you're car is going to ping like a SOB. I have built high compression and low compression F/I cars and higher octane is ALWAYS better. My 400+ acura integra wouldn't run on anything less than 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster.

All I'm saying is try it for a few tanks and see if there is an improvement. Also, you need to get your car up in the rpms a few times. I dont' know exactly how you drive but if you don't rev your car when it is fairly new it won't run the way it should. HP speaking of course.
he is running 93 octane gas stated above. I would suggest you take a long trip on the freeway and see if you still get crappy mileage.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Buddha
he is running 93 octane gas stated above. I would suggest you take a long trip on the freeway and see if you still get crappy mileage.
thanks for letting him know Buddha. i think i just might try going on a trek.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2. NEVER step on the gas all the way down especially at low RPMs.. for the manual ppl , downshifting helps your milage alot
3. manauls: when your slowing down do not just shift to neutral but learn to heel-toe or whatever method u can come up with and downshift.. keeping your rpms between 1k-3k this will actually HELP your milage and its alot safer.
Klumzyee,

I'm curious to learn more.
Care to explain the logic or research behind these suggestions?

Old 03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... somethins is definately wrong. My NAVI says that my mpg is about 20-21.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: crappy mileage