G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

gas question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you put in lower quality gas the car's chip will adjust for it; it won't hurt the engine. You could just get less power or gas mileage from lower quality gas. I would like to hear one person who "destroyed" their engine by putting in regular. Most people tend to be too paranoid to try it, but you can ask anyone in a good Infiniti dealer who knows what they are talking about. I personally put in premium to get the most power, but I wouldn't freak out if someone put in regular by accident.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
If you put in lower quality gas the car's chip will adjust for it; it won't hurt the engine. You could just get less power or gas mileage from lower quality gas. I would like to hear one person who "destroyed" their engine by putting in regular. Most people tend to be too paranoid to try it, but you can ask anyone in a good Infiniti dealer who knows what they are talking about. I personally put in premium to get the most power, but I wouldn't freak out if someone put in regular by accident.

Have a read of the owners manual. The manufacturer says don't put in regular on the coupe unless you have to. if you have to make sure to mix it with premium as soon as you are able. Clearly there is potential to damage the engine if that is the recommendation. I doubt it would "destroy" your engine for a 100 or 200 miles or so but would you want to risk having a few burnt valves so that your performance (engine power and smoothness) is potentially diminished?

Old 03-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by MrElussive
In New Jersey, 93 octane is our premium fuel. When I go to the gas station (95% of the time it is my local BP station) I always just say "premium" or "super" - usually premium. I wish we were allowed to have 100 octane fuel in the US instead of the donkey **** we call premium.
Yeah, I know you can buy higher octane "race" fuel from specific gas stations, but cars will not take advantage of it. If it was the standard, a Subaru Impreza WRX, for example, would put out 265-270hp stock and would be just as reliable (if not more) than the 227hp it comes with now.
im from jersey too, looks like ill have to buy super, i still have a full tank of the gas the dealer filled yesterday

so regular is like 87, plus is 89 and super is 93? right? will have to take a look at those when i go out tonight, never looked at the octane ratings before

Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrElussive
In New Jersey, 93 octane is our premium fuel. When I go to the gas station (95% of the time it is my local BP station) I always just say "premium" or "super" - usually premium. I wish we were allowed to have 100 octane fuel in the US instead of the donkey **** we call premium.
Yeah, I know you can buy higher octane "race" fuel from specific gas stations, but cars will not take advantage of it. If it was the standard, a Subaru Impreza WRX, for example, would put out 265-270hp stock and would be just as reliable (if not more) than the 227hp it comes with now.

That stuff you call donkey **** would be rocket fuel here. Our best is 91.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Talking Everything You Wanted To Know About Octane Ratings

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding this chemical. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline. Unfortunately, the side effects of adding lead to gasoline are:

* Lead clogs a catalytic converter and renders it inoperable within minutes.
* The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans).

When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline, and octane ratings of 115 are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines (jet engines burn kerosene, by the way).

Old 03-26-2005, 11:23 PM
The reason some areas have higher octane is because of altitude. You should use whatever is premium in your area. Weather it is 89 91 or 93 makes no differance. Go to the mountains and premium might be as low as 87. The air is less dense thus effectivly lowering compression thus lowering octane requirements. Sea level may require 93. Don't get cought up in the numbers use premium.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I find that it is best to fill your engine with half 87 and half desil fuel. I find that when i start it it revs very fast and accelerates fast. I also find that when i put Nitro Model Fuel in to the engine it acts as nitros. With this **** in my tank i can smoke all the ferraris and lambos in 1st gear.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:01 AM
WRAH
Get this:

When I use OHIO shell v-power (93) I get 16-17mpg

Yet when I use Kroger, or Mobil (93) I get 20-22mpg

I've tested this several times, and get the same results..... Why?

Old 03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
are you mixing the desil in?