G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04' G vs 03' vette

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Z06ified
...While the G35 does handle well, it can't touch a C5 in the handling department. If you think your G35 handles better than your '99 C5 did, then you must have had something seriously wrong with your '99 or you had some really bad tires. Look up the handling specs on both cars, and you'll find the C5 can pull higher skidpad g's, runs the slalom faster, and has better road course times on almost any road course or autocross.

I ran my G35 at Willow Springs with a bunch of C5's (non-Z06), and I couldn't hang with them in the turns, and they pulled away hard from me in the straights due to the obvious power difference. The only thing I could hang with them on was in braking. While the G35 had great handling potential, the weight of the car and its smaller tires compared to the C5 kills it. Weight is brutal on handling, and the C5 is 300 lbs. lighter.
If you will look closer, I said "real world roads"...and I stick to that statement in real world roads. Sure at Willow Springs the Vette will out handle a G35, but never will it out handle a G35 on roads with bumps mid-corner, ruts, potholes, etc. No way. The G35 suspension deals with these mid-corner surprises way better than a Vette can. A Vette's rear end can easily be coaxed out when it encounters a mid-corner irregularity, while the G35 absorbs the irregularity and hangs on. Surely, you know this.

I do completely agree with your fit and finish assessment. My thoughts exactly, although the '05 G35 has far fewer rattles than my '03 G35 did, the Vette only rattled when I turned up the stereo.

Last edited by Renegar; 04-05-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I went from a C5 Corvette to a G35. To tell you the truth, I love the G35 a lot more. I hate having 2 seats, and while the vette handles better and is slightly faster, the thing I hate about the corvette (besides only 2 seats) is how you have the huge hood when you are driving and it makes it hard to judge some times. The G35 feels better and more luxurious when you are driving, and is also very quick.

Overall, I like the G35 better than the Vette, allthough the rear seats probably plays the biggest factor in my position. Also, the vette has the worst traction in the snow/rain than you will ever imagine. Your better off walking then taking a vette in the snow.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Renegar
If you will look closer, I said "real world roads"...and I stick to that statement in real world roads. Sure at Willow Springs the Vette will out handle a G35, but never will it out handle a G35 on roads with bumps mid-corner, ruts, potholes, etc. No way.
OK - I see what you mean now, and to some extent, I agree. The Vette's rear suspension tends to kick out the entire rear of the car when taking a corner hard with bumps, which can be a bit unsettling feeling / alarming, although I have yet to have the car spin on me from that. IMO, it's a characteristic of the transverse mounted rear leaf spring. From what I've heard, coil over kits eliminate that Vette trait. The G35's rear suspension does stay planted better in a bumpy corner. However, driving anywhere near 10/10ths in a corner with road conditions you described is a recipe for death in any car.

The G35 suspension deals with these mid-corner surprises way better than a Vette can. A Vette's rear end can easily be coaxed out when it encounters a mid-corner irregularity, while the G35 absorbs the irregularity and hangs on. Surely, you know this.
Of course, as I just described. However, most rear end coax out issues with the Vette are cause by too much throttle in the turn. Throttle induced oversteer can be wicked in the Vette, and throttle discipline in the turns is much more crucial in the Vette than it is in the G35. That's just driver experience and skill though.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Also, the vette has the worst traction in the snow/rain than you will ever imagine. Your better off walking then taking a vette in the snow.
People who drive Vettes in the snow should have their heads examined. A Corvette should never be the only car for a daily driver in cold weather snowy climates. Same as any other RWD sports car.

The G35 coupe isn't really any better in the snow than the Vette is - ask anyone who attempted to drive their G35's with the Pilot Sports on. The only difference is the G35C can be fitted with snow tires much easier than the Vette can. But without snow tires, both the Vette and the G35C are like fish out of water in the snow.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by GZire
If you can go without the two back seats and afford the higher insurance, I'd go for the Vette.
Check the insurance rates for both cars - you may be surprised. I pay much more for my G35 than I do for my Z06. I pay $2,000 a year for my G35, and $1,200 a year for my Z06, same coverage. The G35 has a higher accident rate because of its younger average owner age, and has a higher average repair cost.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Hmmm... really interesting. I thought I'd find a lot more pro G35 responses. And I just assumed that the infiniti was much quieter and rattle-free than the vette. but it seems it isnt so...?

now this would be a daily driver (that sounds ridiculous for the vette....) also. as far as a back seat, do you ever really put anybody in the back seat of the G35? maybe kids or someone really short. I dont use my back seat now in the Z28 except for throwing junk back there.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Z06ified
Check the insurance rates for both cars - you may be surprised. I pay much more for my G35 than I do for my Z06. I pay $2,000 a year for my G35, and $1,200 a year for my Z06, same coverage. The G35 has a higher accident rate because of its younger average owner age, and has a higher average repair cost.
Do you report one as your daily driver and the other as a pleasure vehicle?

Damn who's your insurance guys, I might need to check them out.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm the primary on the Minivan, the wife in the G.

I just work from home the days I drive the ody minivan.

Our insurance is around $1000 on the G, and 800 on the minivan. G would go to ~1200 if I were the primary. We use American Express insurance (got them before Costco started offering it)

-T

Old 04-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the great feedback I am surprised about how many guys would take the vette besides the power reason. Z06ified thanks for the great comparision. The insurance is another reason I was suprised how much it is for the g. Probably swinging more towards the vette

Old 04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
juinorcool -

me too! over at the vette forum they love it (obviously) but told me that the vette is a very solid and quality car.
as far as performance and fun to drive....vette easy.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I am suprised by the amount of pro vette comments, The insurance for me will only be $21 more a month than my 00' Honda Accord. The G35 was about a $130 more a month. I'm keeping my accord so I am not worried about the back seats too much.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Currie
now this would be a daily driver (that sounds ridiculous for the vette....)
It doesn't sound ridiculous at all - lots of people use Vettes as their daily driver, especially the C5 and C6 since they are the most daily driver-friendly. The only issues with it as a daily driver is its useless in the snow, and it only has 2 seats. If you live in a no-snow warm weather area, and you don't care about the lack of a back seat, then the Vette makes a fine daily driver. Aside from these two issues, it actually has several advantages over the G35 Coupe as a daily driver including:

1. Better highway gas mileage
2. Larger trunk
3. More comfortable ride

Both are great cars, and you can't go wrong with either, but if you can swing it, you'll definitely have more fun with the Vette, and sacrifice little.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I considered buying an '04 Vette before I got my '04 G. There were awesome deals on the last of the C5's before the C6's starting showing up at dealers. The C5 is a great car and the hatch is very practical. I went with the G because I've had great luck with the previous 3 cars I've had, all made by Nissan in Japan. Also, I chose the G because it's better looking (IMHO) and more unique, has a back seat, better interior with Nav (and DVD movies in my setup), smooth ride, better handling in my opinion, better safety features, sits up a little higher than a Vette does for better visibility and safety. I park my Caribbean Blue G next to Vettes at work and when we go out for lunch I always ask whoever I'm with "which car is better looking?" and they say mine every time. Vettes are great cars and maybe I'll get a C6 someday.