G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I went for a test drive today.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 04:19 PM
|
I went for a test drive today.....

After shopping and driving various brands of cars to replace my C5, today I went to my local Infinity dealer. Here are some random thoughts and ramblings.....

In the Showroom:

My first thought at seeing the G35 coupe in person was nicer in person than in pictures. I like the look of the 19" wheels on the 6MT. The trunk seemed very small, wonder if I can get 2 sets of clubs in it. When I sat inside my head hit the roof ( I'm 6'2") but I was able to adjust the seat so I had plenty of room. The headrest seemed like it was a foot away from my head, just like the C5, and I don't like that. I didn't spend a lot of time with the seat so I don't know if the headrest can be adjusted closer.

The drive:

The salesman started the car and backed it out of a tight spot. It sounded pretty good standing behind it. I got in and adjusted the seat so the clutch takeup was in my range of what I'm used to. Adjusted mirrors. Seems to have a good view out the back and sides without much blockage. It was a very windy day and the car was real quiet at speed. No noticeable wind noise over the bodywork. Cracked the window to different positions and the wind never beat me up like some other cars. Wondered what the 8000 was on the gauges right below the odometer and so did the salesman. He pushed what looked like a reset button a few times and the number changed. My guess was an adjustment for the rev limiter. He set it a 5500 or 5200, I forget, and I gave it a run. Yep, lights flashed. I wonder if you can turn the numbers off under the odometer? The ride was much smoother than what I'm used to. The brakes seemed weak to what I'm used to, but everything I read is the car has short stopping distances. Power. Hmmm. Where is it? Except for the one run to 5500 to check the rev limiter I kept it under 3500 rpms or so. Does this engine really wake up in the upper ranges of the powerband? Shifter felt very long and light. Do they make a shorter throw with a much higher spring tension in it? The car had the premium package so I was expecting a killer stereo. I didn't crank it too much but it didn't sound so hot. The car had one of the dealer installed satalite radio thingys. Does this affect the head unit in the car? Pulled back into the lot and had to squeeze it between two other vehicles and up against a tall curb. It was nice that I could look out and see the front of the car.

Those were my first impressions of a car I had high expectations for. Some it lived up to and some it didn't.

Old 04-13-2005 | 05:00 PM
EZZ
Sounds like a fair review. I'd get a c6 over the g35 anyday.

Old 04-13-2005 | 05:01 PM
2 sets of clubs do fit (in fact I think there is a diagram of how to do it)

The head rest can be solved for $160 - a fully adjustable one can be put in - I did that

Old 04-13-2005 | 05:13 PM
There's no such thing as a great factory car stereo in my book, unless you buy a M45 or M35 with the 14 speaker system. I'm planning to replace my stereo in the future and it will run at least $7000 for it to meet my expectations! The satellite radio tuner is a separate unit in the back of the car which connects to the head unit, so it could be removed or even changed from XM to Sirius or the other way around. If you're coming from a C5, the G's V-6 simply doesn't have as much HP and torque as the Vette's V-8. The G is plenty powerful for me and I'll be happy with it having 300 HP after a few mods such as an aftermarket exhaust, etc. The G handles better in my opinion and is built better. It's a true GT than an all-out, ***** to the wall sports car. The G eats up long interstate miles with ease and is still a blast when you get off the interstate and take the side roads. The G won't beat you up as much as a Vette will and you arrive at your destination fresher and can drive farther. The C5 is a great car, in fact I almost got one when they were giving great deals on them when the new C6's were starting to come in. The G is a safer car and your woman would like it much better than a Vette (more luxurious and comfortable), I'm willing to wager. The G is also better looking in my opinion than a C5- more sophisticated and classier. It gets compliments where ever I go. There's a diagram inside the top of the trunk that shows how to get two sets of golf clubs in there. The G Coupe has one of the very best resale values around also. I would be tempted to get a C6, but the G was the best car I could afford.

Last edited by gspotter; 04-13-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2005 | 08:24 PM
My Mercedes has a Logic 7 Harmon/Kardon system in it. It sounds absolutely fantastic. BOSE just sucks..

Anyway, I went from a 1997 Vette (still have it) to an 04 G35 Coupe. I prefer the G35 coupe any day, maybe basically because I like the feel of the G35 more, and allthough its not quite as fast, there still something I like about the G35 much more. Also the back seats are a must for me.

Also that is very true - Gs have amazing resale values. I was looking into a used G for a little while, but they have ones on ebay motors selling for 28k+ with anywhere from 25-40,000 miles on them. I payed just about that for a brand new leftover 2004 model.

Old 04-13-2005 | 09:25 PM
mrb
Where do you live. When I l was leaving the dealer today to drop off my deposit and order my car, a C5 pulled in, a droptop. Probably not you, was just curious.

The Bose system does suck. If you decide to buy one, skip the premium package and put your own in.

Old 04-13-2005 | 10:03 PM
|
I'm in southern New Jersey. Electron blue metallic hardtop with a smoked glass roof.

Some of the comments have me thinking. I don't know what it is. Sometimes I can make a decision in a split second and other times it takes forever.

Old 04-13-2005 | 10:20 PM
You have to keep in mind that all of your comments are things that can easily be modified just the way you want the car to look and feel.

Infiniti just like all car manufacturers make these cars for the masses. It is up to us to make the car fit your personality and budget.

It's like buying a house. New houses don't have a swimming pool in the backyard. I owned a BMW before I bought my G35, and I never thought I would leave the BMW brand. I love this car (sedan) so much that I'm buying a coupe next week for the summer. They are fun to drive and modify.

I say go get the car. You won't regret it.

Old 04-13-2005 | 10:23 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
ehhh.........get a C6, I think you will be dissapointed with the power of the G. Don't get me wrong, its good enough for me, but I didn't come from a 400hp car, or whatever they have

Old 04-13-2005 | 11:20 PM
The C5 has more power of course, but is cheaply manufactured with a low-tech push rod V8. Don't get me wrong, I love muscle car technology (I have a custom 65 chevelle too), but the G is a much different car. It is a Grand Touring car. Enough power for some fun, comfortable yet sporty ride, nice interior (05) especially compared to the low rent GM plastic, sexy body, and affordable pricing for what you get. If you are looking for an all out sports car with gobs of power, look elsewhere, but if you want a really nice, comfortable yet sporty car with good looks, good resale value, and over all value, look no further. For the same price, you can have a BMW 325 coupe with 187 HP, faux leather, halogen headlights, 17" wheels, and not much else. Yeah, great buy .

Old 04-14-2005 | 03:32 AM
our car is fast. u dont need insanely fast speeds unless u wanna kill urself.

Old 04-14-2005 | 04:17 AM
never driven anything other than family sedan 4 cylinders. so to me the g35 is a speed demon.

Old 04-14-2005 | 11:33 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by blazed54
never driven anything other than family sedan 4 cylinders. so to me the g35 is a speed demon.
Don't you drive the TSX right now? I think anything is a speed demon compared to the TSX

Old 04-14-2005 | 02:41 PM
I have a good amount of experience with mobile audio and I feel the bose sound out of my G is excellent from the mid to upper range. The low range just doesn't have the clean fill some of my previous cars have had. So I installed a clean amp and 10" to fill in the missing low range. I have it turned down as I'm not looking to shake my car apart, just complete the excellent sound the bose speakers already provide.

Old 04-14-2005 | 02:42 PM
|
Wink

An update on my story...

I went ahead and called my local broker to see what he could find for me. He found an 6MT Ivory Pearl with Wheat interior, premium package, aero body kit, and sirius radio.

I've never had a white car before but what the heck. He is giving me a good deal on my trade in so I said do it. It will be delivered to my office tomorrow afternoon.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me more often after tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I went for a test drive today.....