G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Does anyone else ever think this?......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
There are many atmospheric variables that can affect performance- it's not your imagination. Hot dry days, your perfornance is off a little from cool damp days.
Altitude affects it too, sea level being the best.
Only other thing I can think of is gasoline variances and brands. (within the same grade- ie 91 octane). Some brands seem to run better than others in our engines.
C.
what gas brand do you guys use?

i just fill with 93 exxon..

Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
call me crazy, but in addition to the variance in the feel of performance, sometimes i feel like my manual tranny is smoother on some days than others.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
call me crazy, but in addition to the variance in the feel of performance, sometimes i feel like my manual tranny is smoother on some days than others.
Same here.....I m glad it wasn't just me.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
There are many atmospheric variables that can affect performance- it's not your imagination. Hot dry days, your perfornance is off a little from cool damp days.
Altitude affects it too, sea level being the best.
Only other thing I can think of is gasoline variances and brands. (within the same grade- ie 91 octane). Some brands seem to run better than others in our engines.
C.

Well noted, but on the same day in the same conditions, I can feel this? I thought about the gas as well, I usually use Unocal 91, or what ever it is here in Ca. and I know there is a difference in the gas when summer time arrives.

I am glad many here feel the same way, I will ask the master tech when I take my car in next week?

Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Call the Cops
YEs! its not only me!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:16 PM
good...now i know i'm not going crazy. me too!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by geioushi
I agree, my physics professor mentioned this before...even though the atmospheric variables may be only slightly different, they have a significant affect on performance. Its not just the G, but all cars. Maybe some of the mechanical engineers can elaborate more.

When your engine draws in air, it fills the cylinder with air at whatever properties the outside air is at, such as temperature, pressure, and humidity (neglecting changes due to it traveling through the filter, intake, etc.). The more air you can cram into the cylinder, the more gas you can add (keeping the air/fuel ratio the same) and thus the more power you can make. What happens is that the colder the air, the more dense it is. For those not scientifically inclinded, this means that you will have more air molecules within a given volume, the volume being the cylinder in this case. At a higher pressure (this is where altitude changes come into play), the air will also be more dense. With humidity, the water molecules take up part of the space within the volume that in 'dry' air would be where more air molecules would be. So the dryer, higher pressure and lower temperature you can get, the more air you can put into the cylinder, thus making more power.

This is the basis for turbos and s/cers, You compress the air, making it much, much more dense, allowing more fuel and resulting in more power.

Last edited by msd3075; 04-24-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I XP'd this today actually. My G ran like a dream today. I think its just because I warmed it up correctly, I drove it for about 4-5 miles, 10 minutes ish, very conservatively, then ripped it open, and its never felt better!

Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Same experience here. I also noticed the cleaner mine is the faster it goes.
I live on the east coast at sea level with a lot of cooler and damp weather so I'm probably getting max performance most of the time.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by depechek
car motors run more efficiently when the air is cool and moist. That is y your car runs better or "faster" in the morning or just after it rains.
Dry air makes more power, as another poster mentioned.

Water only displaces oxygen molecules needed for combustion.

Our cars are very susceptible to heat soak and environmental variables. Fluid/air temps play a large part in how much power the ECM makes in any given moment.

This is why dyno operators need to keep an eye on oil/water temps when making a pull. An unscrupulous operator could manipulate final numbers easily by choosing when to make the pull based on temps.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 04-25-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:54 PM
G SQUAD
Damn this has been on my mind for a while and up to yesterday I was thinkin about this cuz my car was flyin. Some days those it just drags.... So I m glad I m definitely not the only one feelin like this...

-Vin

Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
i always thought it was my full take of gas... I hate putting a full take of gas, thought it slows down the G.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by jsan
i always thought it was my full take of gas... I hate putting a full take of gas, thought it slows down the G.
hows that?

Old 04-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by player
hows that?

The extra weight os a full tank of gas will slow you down. If a gallon of gas weighs about 6 lbs. (from a Google search ), then a full 20 gallon tank of gas will make your car weigh 120 pounds more than it would when you are next to empty.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:14 PM
you think it could be that? i just went out to go grab some food and it was very nice, and my gas is close to E

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else ever think this?......