G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Queston on Z-tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rookie84
I heard some issues about OEM Z tube and AC lines... anyone got some info on this?
There are many threads on this issue. When installing the tube, make sure that there are no clearance problems with the A/C lines. If there are, make the necessary adjustments. No biggie.
I used the OEM Z-tube with insulating wrap.
C.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
G'z 6MT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my awhile ago, so I think there are better prices out there.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I have had both the OEM Z-tube and the polished aluminum Z-tube from UTR on my 6MT. I already had a Stillen intake and I also have replaced my plenum with the new casting of the Crawford Z unit. I trimmed the engine cover with the help of a friend's Dremel tool. Of course the OEM fits perfectly but the clamps must be just right, the Nissan way. My brother recently bought an '05 6MT sedan and I upgraded to the polished UTR tube for appearance. The fit was a little bit of work and I would suggest making the attachment at the plenum first. The engine/exhaust note remains sedate when you need to be quite but open it up and the growl is awesome. I still have the stock exhaust and headers. When you compare the two tubes it comes down to looks. I'm not much of a fan of carbon fiber under the hood. The end product is definitely better looking with the UTR tube. The price difference between OEM and UTR is about $25, a lot less than a billet oil cap from Nismo.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey guys so what exactly is a Z-Tube? is it the same as an Intake System? I need to learn these stuff..

as well as JWT-Popcharger.. if i want to get an intake system, can i still get the z-tube and Popcharger? or what's the situation here?

thx

Old 05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Asianicboi
Hey guys so what exactly is a Z-Tube? is it the same as an Intake System? I need to learn these stuff..

as well as JWT-Popcharger.. if i want to get an intake system, can i still get the z-tube and Popcharger? or what's the situation here?

thx
I hate to differ on the opinions here but the Z-Tube sounds much better at wot than the CF does. We installed my buddie's CF Z tube and the tone became actually softer than the stock..WTF!?!? As far as the clamps are concerned, no issues whatsoever with the Z tube...perfect fit; thus the beauty of O.E.

Asianicboi, I'm not going to be an @$$ like some people are; but try doing a search on the Z tube and you will a lot of threads on it. To answer your question, yes you can do either or...

Z-tube + popcharger
Aftermarket ztube (CF or Chrome) + popcharger
Z-Tube + stock airbox w/ K&N drop in filter
or
Cold Air Intake (CAI)

HP gains I think are pretty much the same across the board...6-8HP (according to mfg. specs) Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:22 PM
i see, thanks man

so which selection is better?

JWT Pop Charger & Z-Tube COMBO! G35 & FX35
or
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake G35 Coupe
or
INJEN G35 Coupe Automatic Cold Air Intake
or
NISMO Cold Air Intake V2 350Z / G35

please help guys~

Old 05-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i see, thanks man

or
or
or

please help guys~
Bang for your buck....K&N and Z tube...as far as CAI are concerned, I think they will all pretty much give you the same overall result as the air filter position will be about the same place for all because of the limited amount of space in the engine bay. And yes, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on such. Personally, you're really just paying for the brand IMHO...NISMO V2 is a rebadged AEM CAI. The nice part is the both AEM and NISMO have the bypass valve which will help you eliminate any type of hydrolocking (injesting water through the intake). There are many threads on this as well.

Pop Charger - Mixed feelings (see other threads) More air injestion compared to the stock air box or even the Stillen box but then again...you're injesting "hotter" air so thus any HP gain are negligible I would say....

Last edited by JD_AND_DA_G_RIDE; 05-23-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 AM
i have the oem z-tube and the stillin cai it makes my car sound like a monster at 4000 rpm's and up. And by what i have seen on this fourm the others may look better but do not sound as good.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm sorta resurrecting this from the dead, but here goes. There's a guy on eBay selling a 350Z OEM intake (tube + airbox). I'm interested in replacing the plenum->airbox tube with the Z's. Is there any noticeable sound change? I'm confused based on the different threads I read.

Thanks in advance.

Piece in question:

Last edited by TheG35Guy; 06-04-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:09 AM
i see, thanks man

or
or
or

please help guys~
I got the K&N Typhoon CAI with polished tube. Looks great and sounds awesome. When you gas is abruptly or pass 3000 rpm, it makes this cool psst sound. That added to an agressive growl at WOT! Only reason why i didn't go w/ JWT plus z-tube combo is that I don't like the idea of having a 350z part in my infiniti and also the z-tube is plastic and probably isn't as good as a mandrel bent aluminum tube with regards to keep the air cold even tho the air doesn't sit there for long. Injen one looks almost exactly the same, design and function wise besides the bypass valve. I didn't really want the bypass valve so went w/ K&N. just my 2 c.