G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help again! Anyone with a car alarm!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help again! Anyone with a car alarm!

Well my local stereo shop is suppose to finish the install of my viper 791 two way tomorrow but we had alittle problem. The Directed alarm help website states that a immobilizer (I think thats what its called) is not available for a 2005 g35 coupe. Now when you search a 2004 g35 coupe, a specific model comes up. I was wondering if anyone knew what the model number for the immobilizer was for a 2005, or if you know if its the same as an 2004 G35 coupe. Thanks again y'all.

Last edited by OCxG35; 04-28-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Do you mean an "immobilizer"? We have one built in as part of the alarm system. You cannot start the car without a key with a transponder in it. Maybe Viper doesn't make one for the G because we have it already and their system dovetails with ours, presumably.

I'm interested in one of the systems, so let us know how it works out.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Andy77
Do you mean an "immobilizer"? We have one built in as part of the alarm system. You cannot start the car without a key with a transponder in it. Maybe Viper doesn't make one for the G because we have it already and their system dovetails with ours, presumably.

I'm interested in one of the systems, so let us know how it works out.
Yeah, its a small little black box that you put ur key into, but the problem is that i don't know the model number of the immobilizer needed for a install on a 05 g35c. It tells you what model you need for a 04 g35c. You think it'll be the same? If I don't get an answer from someone on the forums that knows by tomorrow morning, then my installer and i are going with the model for the 04 and goin a trial and error mentality. sigh*

Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 AM
so are you trying to add an aftermarket immobilizer? Or are you looking for the transponder needed to bypass the factory one (assuming you're installing a 2way alarm with an autostart)

In either case, I can't see why the 05 and 04 would be any different

Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by Type-S
so are you trying to add an aftermarket immobilizer? Or are you looking for the transponder needed to bypass the factory one (assuming you're installing a 2way alarm with an autostart)

In either case, I can't see why the 05 and 04 would be any different
Thanks man, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping that they didn't add anything different to the starter of a 05. The immobilizer for a viper 791 for a 04 g35c is a model number 556. I'll find out if its the same for a 05 tomorrow. If it doesn't work, the installer and i just wasted alot of time.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Once again, it looks like I am wrong. Now I get the idea. You originally called it a "mobilizer" (a word the alarm industry must have appropriated for this item) and that might be what you meant. It sounds like you are looking for a device to allow the engine to START remotely, not something to keep it from starting. I thought you were talking about something to prevent it from starting (which is added to some cars that, unlike ours, don't have them built in).

My understanding from the dealer and alarm people is that for remote starting to work, you need to have a key with the transponder placed in a special box in the dash. This is probably what they are calling the "mobilizer." You lose the use of the key. I don't think the alarm companies sell an actual transponder, but they have this device that keeps your key close enough for it to start without a key in the ignition. A new key with a transponder is very expensive-around $100-$150 I believe with dealer programming of the system.

I have no idea if 04 and 05 are different, but I would suspect they are not-but that is just a guess. Your installer ought to have a number to call to figure this out, or access to a special web site. I'm sure yours is not the first G35 '05 to get one of these.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 AM
g4s
just use the valet key for the transponder. make sure your installer cuts the majority of the metal portion off (just in case). the 556 "should" suffice.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
I've wondered what happens then when you need a a valet key-ie you want to lock the glove box and the trunk.

Can you make a non-transponder copy of a valet key and use that in the ignition because the transponder key is nearby in the box in the dash?

Are you suggesting, by saying the key should be cut, that the box could be found and removed and give the thief a valet key?

Thanks,

Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 PM
g4s
probably a late response but....

i just assumed you were part of the 99 percentile of the compulsive obsessive forum members that dont valet their car. if you frequently valet your car then you will need to use one of your master keys.

and cutting the key is just a security measure, the box is going to be attached to the brain and somewhere near the ignition. if the thief is so inclined to locate and open the box, then the car is theirs. but usually a flat bed does the trick faster.

good luck with your install, i had to go back to my installer 3-4 times to get it done right. unfortunately i was his first install. but now everything is perfect.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Isn't all this work going to render your warrenty null and void? Or at least portions of it?

Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 PM
^^Not a late response at all.

Actually, I have never given the G to a valet, but I am rarely in a place where that would happen.

I figured the box was inaccessible, but I guess not.

What about the idea of making a plain, nontransponder, valet key and using that since the transponder is nearby?

Thanks,

Old 04-28-2005, 04:40 PM
g4s
just tested it with the wallet key, and the master key sitting on the steering wheel. cranked but didnt start. the transponder box is going to be a lot further away.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok, i'm goin to try to respond to as much as I remember. First of all, I did use the Valet key for the immobilizer and actually I meant a immobilizer not a mobilizer. Like I said, when it comes to technical things, I'm a newbie. So, it looks like I lose the features of a valet key, but atleast I have two spare keys. To me, atleast 2 keys is better then 1 key and 1 valet key. Also, as one of you expressed, I also did have some problems with the alarm. For example, I had part of the alarm installed yesterday and the rest this morning. The immobilizer wasn't installed yesterday, and as a result, for some CRAZY REASON, about three times last night, my car kept trying to start itself. CRAZY HUH? But yeah, i think im going to make a thread about the problems I ran into and what people should watch out for. There are little things that can go wrong that can be avoided that I went through. By the way, the DEI 556 did work for the 05 model. thanks for all your inputs. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by g4s
just tested it with the wallet key, and the master key sitting on the steering wheel. cranked but didnt start. the transponder box is going to be a lot further away.
Were you suggesting trying the wallet key as a replacement to give to the valet? Or were you suggesting putting the wallet key in the immobilizer?

Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
g4s
i wasnt suggesting either. you were asking if a copy of the valet key would work while the chipped key was in the 556. so that test basically emulated what you were asking for previously (unless my eyes are failing me and the wallet key is keyed differently). my test for some reason, shows that it doesnt work.

*scratches head. shoulda worked tho...im not technically inclined on the workings of the chip.

glad you got your stuff to work. one of my main problems was that the auto lights would not turn off, even after the max 5 minutes. i dont know what the installer did but he got it to work correctly. make sure you test that out before you have a dead battery on your hands.

Last edited by g4s; 04-28-2005 at 11:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help again! Anyone with a car alarm!