G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer want $629 from me for 30000 service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SinG35c
DON'T DO IT!!! It sounds like a dealer scam, they sound like they're full of sh*t. The coupe can't get tire rotation. The other services you can do it yourself and buy your own genuine parts. I do all my own services according the owners manual's recommended miles. Don't get rip off!!!
Actually you CAN rotate the tires. My friends over at Discount actually unmount the tires from the wheels and swap them across (rt rear to left rear), etc. The tires are semi directional for lack of better terms. This helps increase the life of the tires especially since they're prone to some cupping on the inside for the rear. Cost= Case of beer....

Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimF
I just have them do stuff ala carte if it is in for other items, oiil changem thay have a flat $40, the rear diff fluid was a quote of $89 but charged at $69. I'l probably have them change the manual tran fluid the next time I'm in 32K miles. You can do the cabin filter yourself. The odd thing is when I brought the car in for service once they tried to sell me on the service that included tire rotation when I had staggered snows on the car that were on for two weeks (new tires), they didn't really push the issue when I mentioned it. Do what you can yourself and have the other items individually done as needed.
Any instruction on how to replace the in-carbin filter?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Never enough
Just drop the glovebox. Its easy!

Old 05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I just went thru this with our Pathfinder. As mentioned before, I asked for ala carte service. I got a radiator flush, trans flush, and belts for $380. The same service as 60K service was $675. I even took some competitors coupons in and they honored them.

At 30K in the coupe, I will do the in-cabin myself, belts are needed at 60K. I would let the radiator flush slide til 60K and just have the trans flushed. I think the trans sees alot of stress. You could easily extend its life alot with a flush every 2 years.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of that crap can be done by YOU. Really, you can do it with very basic hand tools. If you don't want to do it, take it to Jiffy Lube. Flushing fluids is cake, and that is what lube places like Jiffy Lube or Q-Lube do day in and day out.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Call Zcargarage in San Jose and ask for Rob. They are a specialty Z and G car shop and will charge you much less for this service. Their number is:

408-452-0350

Their website:

http://www.zcargarage.com/

Dave

Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by WhatUpG_35
Call Zcargarage in San Jose and ask for Rob. They are a specialty Z and G car shop and will charge you much less for this service. Their number is:

408-452-0350

Their website:

http://www.zcargarage.com/

Dave

Thank you WhatUpG_35
I will call them to see how much will cost me to do it by them. Thankyou

But my order question is, does anyboyd have an instruction with pictures that can show me how to change the carbin a/c filter?

Thanks again guys

Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 PM
"But my order question is, does anyboyd have an instruction with pictures that can show me how to change the carbin a/c filter?"

There is a DIY thread somewhere here that has the instructionswith pictures (or it may send you to a site that has that). I'm not sure where it is, but a search or two will turn it up.

The price for those services seems high-but I'm not near there yet (6600 miles). My dealer charges $40 for an oil and filter change (with loaner car).

Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Sig
You can't even rotoate tires on a coupe.......that's retarded

Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sig
You can't even rotoate tires on a coupe.......that's retarded
you can't rotate tires on almost every sports car on the market...as long as the rear tire sizes are different from the front....it's impossible. Moreover, the G's tread is directional which makes it impossible to rotate between same sizes (unless you unmount, swap, and remount)

Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eddie914
but the question is do I really need to do those- carbin filter change, fuel filter change
Well, hopefully they don't charge you for a fuel filter change, as according to the owner's manual, the G35 has a permanent in-tank fuel filter which never requires replacement or servicing.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Never enough
I have a question, does this void warranty if you do it yourself? What if you buy all the stuf yourself and keep the receips?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dgbos4
My dealer just quoted me $639.00 and called it 'a major service' that takes at least 5-6 hours to complete. Make sure you shop around as another local dealer quoted me $379 - what a difference!!

This is what the $639 quote includes (looks liek there are some scams on this list):
engine oil and filter,
replace the automatic transmission fluid - not needed for me (6mt)
replace differential oil,
replace the engine air filter - not needed (K&N)
replace the engine coolant and flush the system,
replace the drive belts - what is this??
replace in-cabin micro filter
replace radiator cap - why?
replace transfer case oil
replace wiper inserts,
rotate tires,
check-rest tire pressures.

In addition we also inspect the following all lights,axle & suspension parts, brake lines and cables, brake calipers, pads,rotors, check the cruise control vacuum hoses, drive shaft boots, exhaust system, front suspension ball joints, fuel lines/connections, fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, headlights/adjust if necessary, check the sterring
gear and linkage and ball joints.
I don't think you need the transfer case oil changed as well unless you have converted yours to a 4x4.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont mean to jack the thread, but on a semi related note, a very reputable shop that i am sure has done a lot of great work on G/Zs in so.cal quoted me 450 for 15k mile service. is this also pretty high???? thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:29 PM
slz
Look at it this way. If you are really talking flush and replace coolant and brake fluid, along with the tranny fluid, along with the filters you're looking at 4, maybe 5 hours of work. Dealers in my area (Baltimore-Washington) charge $95/hour. Independents maybe $65/hour. So, $400-$500 for labor at the dealer, $100-200 for parts. You can save yourself maybe $150 by going to an independent (the difference in labor rate). I would say that your dealer's prices prices are competitive. Not fair, maybe. But competitive.

It comes down to this. If you like working on cars and have the time, you can save a pile of money (the labor cost) by doing it yourself. Have at it. If you don't have the desire or time, give it to someone else.

Personally, I cough up the extra $150 to the dealer. I've not yet found an independent I feel comfortable with.

My two cents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer want $629 from me for 30000 service