G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Newbie researching - 3 questions (for now!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie researching - 3 questions (for now!)

Well not totally a newbie, have test driven may G coupes from the first 03 automatics to the 05 6 speed.
but 3 questions -

Black console? Looking at coupes today, an 03 or 04 had an all black center console, not the silvery molded plastic one, is that a base model? It seemed to have the 18" rims. It was not an 05, I know the 05 dash difference.

Road/wheel noise - I was put off by the tire noise on almost every G coupe I have driven. Is there a way to minimize the noise, different tires maybe? I know it's a sport model but I want a quieter ride.

Manual tranny - I love shifting, I have a 6 speed Acura CLS now, but reading on some of the troubles with G clutches, noise, and the manual tranny has me worried. Should I avoid the manual? I'm spoiled cause I think Acura makes some of the smoothest manuals and I love the shifter in my CLS.

Thanks for any guidance, I enjoy reading this site. The G35 is the sweetest looking car on the road. Don't see too many in my town, Austin, TX.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:03 PM
u get the 18's, u get the titanium tinted trim inside. u get 17's, u get the black interior. this is from my experience with 04's. 17's are the 6 spoke, 18's are the 7 spoke. Road noise? i guess the smaller tires would be less noisy, but theyr not high performance like the 18's. not much road noise imo. and the performance of the 18" michelins is well worth it. The manuals are fine, especially if u dont get an 03. shifting has gotten smoother each year. its just a little notchy and annoying for me with all the traffic around tri state area so im glad i went with the 5at. hope that answers ur q's.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
hey Ron....yeah, the clutch and 6 sp tranny can have issues....I've read about people having them replaced at as low as 16k miles.....just try to find one with low miles and one owner if you're going used....but, I would wait and get an 06 if I were you...they should be out soon...and the road/tire noise is common and more prevalent depending on what tires/wheel setup you have....this car won't ride as quiet as your Acura, for sure....and I think I'd keep your CL-S....you have the best color combo for such a rare bird....6MT and Navi...only one year and like 800 made....see ya

Old 05-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're looking in the right place to get some feedback.

Black console=base model others have faux titanium
road noise- yep it's got it. lower performance related tires would help lower noise or your other option is to add dynamat or bquiet insulation like some others here have done with DIY posts too
6MT- some have had problems with clutch and mt yes. Largely these people have had their problems corrected by Infiniti. I have 5100k miles and no issues at all. Changing to synthetic fluid has made shifting smoother too.
Overall this car is great. It replaced our Acura TL.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
AustnMike, don't tell me that! You chose a G over the CLs 6MT.
I hate to give up my CLS but the G35 coupe has the looks and handling I wanted in the CLS. I like the way the G holds value better and selling the Acura now would avoid bigger price drops soon, it has 21k miles now.
The local dealer has a bunch of used G's now, 1 Silver, 2 Desert?, 2 DG, 1 new Black 04, 2 or 3 6 speeds too. I don't want to buy a new one.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Desert platinum is nice and rare....go for it Ron...wish I could afford to take the CL off your hands....that car will be worth some money down the road...Austin Infiniti didn't have any 6MT coupes when I was looking....I bought mine right outside of Houston....so get it while you can, the used G coupes aren't lasting long on the market...

Old 05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm in Austin also and bought a used '04 about 6 weeks ago. I test drove several and the road noise is less with 17" wheels compared to 18" wheels.

I bought one with 18s (not a sport suspension, though) and just finished a sound deadening project. It's still not as quiet as my Mercedes or Lexus, but it's a heck of a lot more fun to drive. And I agree - it's the best looking car on the road.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:31 PM
GBTX, Sounds like great fun to have not only a G35c but a MB and a Lex too, love your car budget. Local G drivers need to get together and meet and invite us Acura drivers!

Old 05-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by 123456speed
GBTX, Sounds like great fun to have not only a G35c but a MB and a Lex too, love your car budget. Local G drivers need to get together and meet and invite us Acura drivers!
Sorry for the confusion. The Lexus is my wife's. The Mercedes is for sale. The G35 is the replacement for the Merc.