Gangster Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear, my prelude got stolen

Old 05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I heard our G is hard to steal. Feel really bad for you. Good luck

Old 05-10-2005, 03:48 PM
You probably dont want the car back so, you live in WA and the car was in Canada? Its your insurance gonna freak about that? I've read that can be an issue when something happens out of the country.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:50 PM
SweetNlow,

How can they locate the car via the chip? I didn't have Sat Nav on the car. I'll ask the dealership anyway but I don't know how a chip could be located. Thanks for the input.

Z2G,
Yeah, there was video surveilance. I've left a message with the building manager to see if he can see anything.

KidG35,
Alarm was to be installed in several days. I bought the car then had way too much on my plate to leave the car with anyone for very long. Next time, I'll make the time.

TimW,
Insurance company says they've had cars in Canada stolen before so no biggie. I was told the biggest headache is getting cooperation in a timely fashion from the Vancouver Police Dept.

All,
Thanks for the well wishes and input. This really is sickening. The really bad part is that the insurance company doesn't just replace it. They pay off the loan balance which means I lose the $5K I put down as a deposit and will need to put up some more cash. ARGH! A friend recently had his BMW stolen and Progressive was going to simply replace the car with as close to an exact copy as possible. Not only have I lost my car I am going to be out $5K!

The good thing is that I just put a deposit down on an exact replacement but with SAT Nav in case my car is not found. Oh, and the rental is a Kia. Someone shoot me now

Old 05-10-2005, 03:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear that Joe. Keep your chin up....better days are ahead.
When you get the new one, negotiate a good alarm system into the deal.
C.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG... Rental Kia... I would throw a fit. Get the video, you will see your car leaving. If not, it was loaded into a Ryder/UHaul truck and driven off. Do what you can to get the video. If you can't see the person driving out, you will at least be able to know what time it was taken. That just sucks.. How is your insurance company really going to be about the value of the car? You have had it for 3 months... Don't let them screw you. How did your insurance company feel about it being in Canada? I know that if you take your car into Mexico and it gets stolen you get to deal with it yourself.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Gsedanman,
Will do. Good advice.

ashadiow,
Insurance co. says they will pay the value of the car but if the payoff is more than the value they'll pay that too. The car was only 3 weeks old, not 3 months. They have no problem with it being in Canada. I'll keep everyone updated as I learn more. This should be interesting,( and painfully miserable).

Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm hopeing you got the "gap" insurance, it will cover the value difference in case the insurance company wants to go by blue book.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
gizsf,

I do, thanks.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
whether they go by value or invoke GAP, youre not going to be out a penny. If you negotiated your 05 really well, you might even make money. There's no way, none, you'd lose 5K. They cant make up a mythical sum to pay you. Tell the insurance company to find you the same car and mileage for that amount. They will say they arent in the business of buying cars.... well, neither are you.. so tell them just pay what it takes to go pick out another car. They will *try* to shaft you, the less they spend is more money they keep.. but you can fight it and will probably come out quite well.. And again, you have GAP. I just dont see you losing here.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Tim,

I wouldn't say I got a "deal" as I paid just a bit under MSRP. With GAP, from what I've been reading today, only the difference between the value of the car vs. the actual payoff is taken care of. If my overall payoff after tax, tags, title etc. is 40K but the value after three weeks dropped 5K then GAP pays that extra 5K so I don't have it left over. In other words, it pays the higher amount owed to the lending institution between the two amounts. Meanwhile, I still have to come up with a new down payment. Am I mistaken?

Old 05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
yeah man i am really sorry for your loss. i know for a fact that a lot of like third world countries rich folks buy their cars from the black market. these people have got to be pros if it was a secure parking lot. e.g. my uncle's hosue was broken into, and before his security system could call the cops, the thieves went in,stole the jewelry and left. they had obviously been surveying the situation b/c they went on sunday morning when he goes to church. these guys seem like they know what they were doing and unfortunately your car is probably on it's way to dubai or someplace where some rich man will buy it for 55-60 grand. it sucks, i'm sorry.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car Joe. Good luck with your insurance and a replacement.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres A Tip On Stolen Vehicles

Hey man im sorry but there are ways around they have tools that copy the number, so it can be driven away. Just HOPE YOU DONT GET IT BACK BEFORE THE MONTH OVER FROM THE DATE IT WAS STOLEN, BC YOU WONT WANT IT BUT IF IT HAPPENS THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL MAKE YOU KEEP IT. THEN YOUR SCREWED ALL YOU CAN DO IS HOPE YOU DONT GET IT BACK BEFORE A MONTH. YOU WOULDNT WANT TO HAVE A CAR THAT WAS STRIPPED DOWN, AND THEN HAVE THE INSURANCE COMPANY, PUT BACK TOGETHER BY SOME IDIOT IN SOME BODY SHOP . THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL SCREW YOU IF THEY FIND IT, USSUALLY THEY FIND IT RIGHT BEFORE THE MONTH IS OVER. MAKE SURE IF THEY FIND IT THAT YOU FIGHT WITH THEM CASUE THEY WILL GIVE YOU A HARD TIME ON KEEPING THE VEHICLE.

GOOD LUCK.

JUST PRAY

GOOD LUCK WIT HALL THAT.

Last edited by mwarsh1; 05-10-2005 at 07:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 05 6MT was stolen!!!