G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

what will it take to beat a E46 M3 (besdies TT/SC)?? sorry, newbi here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 05, 6 speed, u can get it for $35k? i thought it goes upward to bout 40+...

thanks for all the suggestions. i know the purpose of a car is not to just beat another...but like i said, M3 is the bench mark for this section of cars..it be nice to beat it, dont u think? sure u wont race it all the time, but at least i be having some bragging rights when i see my M3 buddy..lol.

still got time to think.. but i think my options are down to M3 or G35 coup.. prob slightly used for either one. buddy of mine got dealer license, so i can get a car from auction for dealer price..hehe

the APS ST is coming out soon...they are having info on the Z forum..so im waiting for that to see how it does and how much it costs. it should be somewhat cheaper than a TT and performs better than superchargers. plus people have nothin but good things to say bout APS...

Old 05-18-2005, 09:38 AM
^^^ Get the M3, that way you'll be as fast as an M3 and you can have all the bragging rights you want.

The G is much more about style, sophistication, and personal gratification than comparision to other cars to which it reasonably/loosely compares (M3, STi, EVO, 330 ZHP).

If "bragging rights" seem to be as important to you as your posts would indicate, look for a different ride, because the G really won't satisfy you, even with a huge FI system.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln
With all this concern about beating an M3, I think you have 2 realistic options:

1. Get an M3.
2. Subaru Impreza (STI) or Mitsubishi Lancer (Evo).

The G is not the car for you if a primary goal for your car is to be faster than M3's.
UMM YEA STI and EVO right

Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
how will a G35 2005 6mt stack up against an automatic M3 or SMG m3?

Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beat M3? Forget about it without FI.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
This is a good thread and I'm particularly interested because I'm shopping for something new myself. G35, M3, STi, C6 vette and the Evo are all possibilities.

The M3 does post an interesting dilemma because of its performance as a drivers machine while offering the comfort, status and amenities of a luxury car not to mention solid resale and a backseat. The G35 is an outstanding value and its stock performance is solid across the board but you're going to be left making excuses in terms of straight line speed unless you go the FI route and even then I haven't heard much about the G35 being reliable in the long run for that type of modification.

As a young professional, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of my ego that wants a certain level of status especially when you're talking about spending upwards of $30/40k for a new car. I love the STi and the Evo and either or may very well be my next car because performance is more important to me than luxury/status. But then again you're looking at a harsh drive everyday to work especially after suspension mods not to mention nobody on God's green earth cares about those cars except enthusiasts. The bang for the buck and modification possibilities are incredible though so it's a tough choice.

No matter what, most young males especially those with more than a few drops of testosterone and a number of speeding tickets on our record are going to get hit when it comes to insurance so it goes without saying. The bottom line is that there is no clear cut winner amongst these cars except in the minds of the individual. In the $30k range, you will undoubtedly have to make some sacrifices whether it's performance, luxury or going the used route which is a different monster itself.

I'm also inclined to hit the market for a gently used CTS-V which has more power than the M3, more space but less resale value which is a non-factor since I'd be buying used or new with the GM discount. Z06 engine in a four door RWD sedan sounds damn good to me.

Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me
new 05, 6 speed, u can get it for $35k? i thought it goes upward to bout 40+...

thanks for all the suggestions. i know the purpose of a car is not to just beat another...but like i said, M3 is the bench mark for this section of cars..it be nice to beat it, dont u think? sure u wont race it all the time, but at least i be having some bragging rights when i see my M3 buddy..lol.

still got time to think.. but i think my options are down to M3 or G35 coup.. prob slightly used for either one. buddy of mine got dealer license, so i can get a car from auction for dealer price..hehe

the APS ST is coming out soon...they are having info on the Z forum..so im waiting for that to see how it does and how much it costs. it should be somewhat cheaper than a TT and performs better than superchargers. plus people have nothin but good things to say bout APS...

Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
well, feels like i have to keep defending myself..haha..
no, im not getting a car just to BRAG. if so, i'll get a C6 vett instead. it cost bout the same or even less than a M3, with 400hp and all...i be bragging alright.
however, dont tell me that uall dont have the thought or wish that we are the fastest, or at least faster than most "thoughts" in us! please..who wouldnt wanna be better than others? altho thats not a "reason" to get a car..its just something that adds to it. modding cars is one way to "brag"? i dont see nothin wrong wanting to make ur car more unique and faster than others!!

anyways, i thought bout M3 cuz its got all those things listed by others already...speed, lux..etc etc..

G35coup is not to that level we all know, but its a very good overall car (like the M3 is at its price range) at a great value.

Vett is not for my age and two seater is a lil troubsome at times. tho it sure is a great car at a great price. nothin beats it in or near its price range.

STi and Evo, great performance cars for the price, and can be moded to go VERY fast..however, dont like the looks...not my style, the interior is crap. its too boy racerish.. its got no "class"..unlike the M and G!

i no G is not a stragith competitor to the M3, but dont tell me youall never try to compare. many do, and thats already a compliment to the G to be able to be compared with something that cost 15K more and is a true legend.

i dont no how me wanting to have a faster car is all bout bragging rights? sure i want to have a faster car than my buddy...dont we all?

on another G thread i read all these people hating on the E46, and saying how they beat the bmw, or how the bmw beat the G..blah blah blah. well, now if u have a FAST G, wouldnt u be a very good represantion of all of us? u never know if a M3 or something will come trying to race, and if u got a G that can smoke them..why not? i think of that as FUN..not just braggin. we all live to have a good time with our cars.

now, if i get a M3, i'll still be very happy. its a great car and sure i'll have a M3 just like my buddy..but he cant drive worth ****..lol..so i can go "brag" bout me been a better driver..right..lol.

i think there are others who would like to ask the same question that i have asked, but i dont no why my words came out to be BRAGGIN.. oh well, sorry if i did.. but hey, i dont mind brag a lil once a while.

as for G against an auto/SMG m3. first of all, i dont think there is a pure auto M3..its either manual or SMG. second, G will NOT beat a SMG m3.. SMG is no slower, in fact, it should be faster than most manual M3. why? cuz most cant drive as well as they think they can.haha. so SMG can reduce driver's error (or lack of skills) whether its going striaght line or twisties.. plus SMG is a great system that works just as well if not better than a manual. altho i still prefer the manual...like to do the shifting myself.

one lil thought i have is: an M3 with a V8 putting out 400+ hp is coming out in a year or two..hm... wouldnt it be nice to have that?

well, thanks for those who think this thread is helpful..it sure has been for me and thanks to everyone for putting in their opinions.

drive happy and enjoy what u drive!!

Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 AM
i have watched a japanese DVD video with a bunch of cars on the track....M3, SLK350, TT 3.2, NSX, 350Z track

only NSX can compete with M3 and still lose on a straight way, while the others are falling way behind

btw...350Z finished last, so i would say it's not a fair comparison in performance but they look as gd as a M3 in terms of outlook.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 AM
it will take all your money to beat a M3

and probably cost more than a M3 with the mods you are spending on

Old 05-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. G35 + $5k for APS single turbo kit + $500 for gauges and crap + $1k for exhaust = M3's for lunch.

Wait... it doesn't even cost that much. Vortech SC will do. Nevermind that equation

Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Use the search function on the forum. Thanks.

Btw from your replies it doesn't seem like you are ready to buy anyways. Might as well just wait for the new m3 and I promise, base on history, it's not going to be cheaper.

as for mods, if i do wanna go faster than M3 or most people on the road,
I hope by the word "road" you mean track. Please don't street race. If you can afford a 30k-50k car but dont want to shell out for autox/track you are ghetto. Otherwise you just have more money than brains

Last edited by CarCrazed; 05-20-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I understand what you're going thur. Yes the G is a great car for it's price range. I highly doubt there's many in it's class that I could compare it to IMPO. But if you were to save or wait a bit more longer the M3 would be the car to get. At it's price range, you are getting a car that can span in many different directions in terms of usablility. I've had a 03' M3 for sometime now and all I can say is that it's a great car for the price, it's not too bad for an N/A I6.

The G is also a great car for it's price. It can produce massive amounts of power for little $$$, in comparison to the M3 in where a F/I M3 could start at around 10K-15K. That's alot of money to spend just to get you to 400+hp.

But remember it really depends on where you are in life. I'm in my 30's and I like to drive a great GT german car that performs like a race car, hauls my family like a sedan, and looks/feels great to drive day-to-day.

Why I'm I here, well I love the G's looks and I believe it has a great amount of potential. It's cheaper to mod and it will have a lot of aftermarket parts to choose from. Plus it's got a great racing heritage. This to me is a superb Japanese super car in the making.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:14 PM
WELL , I own BOTH a bmw m3 convertable and a G35 (had a vortech) supercharger on it. Let me tell you first hand. I first bought the g35 started adding things like Nismo exhaust, Injen intake,Underdriver pulleys, Kintex plenum and still wasnt happy. Next I added the the Vortech supercharger kit. Although it had a Violent Surge of power and woudl eat the M3 alive from a roll. From a dig the M3 (intake, no cats, dinan exhaust, chip, 8lb flywheel) would eat up the G35 bad to 60 mph and still be faster inthe 1/4. I ran both cars at the same slight uphill strip of road outside of town. at about 1/4 mi m3 was going 109mph and the G35 was goign 105. Atfer that the g35 would catch up. But after owning both I decided to remove the Supercharger from the G35. WHY because the power in the M3 is so much more linear and fun to drive the a real 8250 redline. I decided that the G35 is MORE confortable, More enjoyable to make trips in. and a much Nicer car to drive day in day out. The M3 is more of a RACE car with all out handling and performance. Ruffer ride and much more noise. BTW I took my g35 back to that road and ran it after taking the Vortech blower off, (still had nismo exhaust and injen intake) and in ran the ~1/4 mi at 90mph.

The M3 performs so well with so little because of the power band. It pulls Hard from 3000rpms-8250rpms 5000rpm powerband
G35 4000rpms-7000rpms 3000rmp powerband

hope this helps

Last edited by Bingo15; 05-20-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
FD3S/3gen RX-7 will own all the cars listed above, except for some Supras.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by deepdezal
FD3S/3gen RX-7 will own all the cars listed above, except for some Supras.

this is BS if you are talking a stock vs stock

even modded still not close to M3 in overall performance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what will it take to beat a E46 M3 (besdies TT/SC)?? sorry, newbi here!