G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys...just want to say that I've gotten some really great information from this forum. I've been researching the G35 for months now and have read just about every article or review published on it. I stumbled across this forum a while back and probably have read every post on it....all kinds of good stuff in it (mods, maintenance, comparisons, cleaning, shifting, etc...). I finally decided to purchase last weekend and went to a dealership in Salt Lake City. I defn wanted a coupe (no wife, kids, dogs), but hadn't decided on a color. The only coupes on the lot were a black 6MT with willow, and a CB/5AT with Nav. Being in SLC with HOT summers and snowy winters I knew the BO wasn't for me (although it looked absolutely gorgeous!) After seeing some different color sedans on the lot, I decided that BS was for me. As it turned out, there was a BS coupe en route from California...but it was a 5AT. After reading so much about the 5AT and how it simulated driving a manual so much, I tried out the CB/5AT on the lot. It was actually very responsive and a lot of fun. Then I drove the BO/6MT. OMG!! After driving it, there was NO QUESTION that I wanted (needed) a 6MT. As we scoured the inventory...there were no surplus cars expected except another black 6MT. I decided to take the night and think about options. The next day I found out that a BS was coming from California on a dealer trade, BUT...it was a 5AT. It had all the options I wanted (loaded minus the NAV) and was due to arrive TODAY. I started to talk myself into being happy with a 5AT (it was STILL an awesome drive). I decided to call a dealership in Las Vegas for the heck of it. The gods must have been smiling down on me. IN STOCK...a BS, 6MT with premium package and no NAV (just don't need one of those in a city like SLC that's already on a grid system). I immediately did a credit app and put down a deposit. To save time and expense I'm flying down to Vegas this weekend to drive it back. It's also getting 43% tint on sides (lowest allowed in Utah) and 30% on rear. So, now that you have my story....I have my first question to the group:

I probably shouldn't be driving it 450 miles in one shot during the "break-in", but any advice on mixing up the revs? Do I need to keep the speed under 50MPH or 60MPH the entire way, or under a specific RPM? I'm sure I'll be tempted to cut her open once or twice....any guidance on how long/far would be fine without any lasting negative impact? The good thing about driving it back is that I'll only have 750 miles left on the break-in!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!! 4 more sleepless nights!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Newbie

Congrats on the new ride.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is what I followed (posted previously) and closely mirrors the Infiniti recommendations.

<font color=green> From driversedge.com:

The first 2,000 miles is the single most important period in your car's life. This is what determines if the car is a 90,000 mile car or a 190,000 mile car. Remember this! The break-in period is split into three parts.

1) For the first 1000 miles, don't run the car over 3,500 RPM, and don't depress the gas pedal more than half-way to the floor unless absolutely necessary.

***NOTE***
If you have to get onto the freeway, or you need to pass a slow moving truck, STAND ON IT. But don't make a habit of running the car hard during the first 1000 miles. Also, if your car has cruise control, don't use it during this time. You want to vary the engine speed and load as much as possible.

2) During the second interval, which is only 500 miles, you can slowly start using more and more of the engine's power.

3) The third interval is also 500 miles. During this time, use the car HARDER than you would normally. If you only drive 35MPH in the city, and after 50,000 miles move to Boulder Colorado, the car will be working harder than it ever has before, and will NOT be a happy camper! And by harder, I mean both RPM and load. Cruising along at 55MPH in third gear doesn't count! The best thing you can do is to run it full throttle 0-60, shifting above 5,000 RPM. (It is also a good idea to do this twice a month for as long as you own the car.) This keeps the soot out of the exhaust pipe, cleans the catalytic converter, and evaporates the water that is made there. If you do not do this, the exhaust system will rust from the inside out!

4) After the break-in period, you may return to your normal driving style, and the car will be prepared for any changes it might see down the road.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-03-2003, 07:27 PM

Glad to see someone else on here from Utah, besides, my salesman at Dahle that is. I'm in Brigham and have yet to see another coupe on the road in Utah.

I promise you will get plenty of stares and looks of admiration while cruisn around here.

Hoot

Old 06-03-2003, 07:58 PM

Welcome to the G35 owner's club! Generally, you could probably drive the wheels off the thing the first time you got in it but you are much wiser than that.

I'd say keep it under 4K rpm for the first 1200 miles. Speeds under 70 mph will do that easily. Varying rpm's is very good and you can do that even on the highway at a steady speed. For instance, 70 mph in 6th gear is about 2500 rpm or so. Shift to 5th gear and the rpms jump up, but not above 4K. I'd also vary speeds as well. It's going to be a slow, enjoyable trip back from Las Vegas, or you could stay and enjoy the lascivious sights...

BONDg35c

Old 06-03-2003, 08:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for a hoot, check out this dude's idea of break-in:

G35Break-In

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Congratulations on the new Car and welcome to the forum! I think it’s great that the 6MT was available since you may have second guessed a 5AT after your test drive in the 6MT.

I agree with gordgee's post, you should keep the RPM under 3500 for your trip back. I also second the idea of varying the RPM on your drive back.

As for Boulder, Colorado I would have to say stay away from down town and all the want-a-be worly-gig’s (traffic circles). Good way to scratch up the new rims! It was possible to do 90+ in town 15 years ago. Now you would be more likely to hit 35+ on a bike rather than in the new coupe! lol

G35C 6MT CB Willow Aero Prem

Old 06-03-2003, 10:12 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Break-in: watch your foot, the gas pedal is very light on this car, so dont mash on the gas pedal the entire way home.
Oh, and keep it under 4,000 rpm, meaning you can go about 100mph [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-03-2003, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!! Maybe I'll spend a day in Vegas just to cruise the Strip in the new wheels. Good way to put a few miles on the car on a Saturday night. It's gonna be tough driving it back to SLC...but I'm looking forward to all the head-turns on the ride back. I got a taste of it during the test drive....I have yet to see a G on the streets of SLC!!