G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speed Channel: GTO vs G35 vs 330ci vs Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
I have a cable box from comcast digital cable with over 600 channels to choose from, but can you believe that they dont even carry speed
Isn't Speed the reason to get cable in the first place????

Old 06-19-2005, 03:56 PM
What was the conclusion to the show?

Old 06-19-2005, 07:21 PM
The G did not have the 19's and I'm pretty sure it was an auto by the sound of it going down the track. I like the GTO for the power train, but the conclusion I came to after watching the show is.......The G 35 is the best! I'm glad I ordered one.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hayaku
I don't think the 3 cars are in the same class or sell to the same market. A GTO buyer would probably be considering a Mustang Cobra rather than a BMW or Infiniti.
I don't necessarily agree with that. They are all all around the same price, and are performance GT coupes. When I bought my G35, the GTO wasn't out yet. But if I was in the market for a coupe today, I would seriously consider the GTO. While I think the G35 Coupe is the better all around car (excels in more areas than just acceleration), has more features, and looks better, its hard to say no to 400hp for only $32k.

However, I think the GTO competes more with the Mustang GT rather than the G35 or 3 series. I would say the GTO is an indirect competitor to the G35 and 3 series, and a direct competitor to the Mustang GT.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by hayaku
I agree. I don't think the 3 cars are in the same class or sell to the same market. A GTO buyer would probably be considering a Mustang Cobra rather than a BMW or Infiniti.
This is my first post so I don't want to cause uproar but I think the GTO is more in the class of a BMW/Infiniti rather than a Mustang. First the GTO has independent rear suspension just like the Infiniti and BMW while the Mustang has a solid rear axle. The GTO actually handles very well it's not just a straight line car. Second I am currently in the market to purchase a new car to replace my 2002 Audi TT roadster the cars I'm considering are the G35 mt6, GTO, and the BMW 330 so at least in my mind all these car are in the same class. I recently test drove the g35 and I think the car performs great and looks sharp. However the interior is in no way Audi or BMW quality it lacks the fit and finish and material quality that the Germans have. The GTO and G35 both have nice interiors but they’re no Audi or BMW. I'll give one example from each car. The G35's cheesy plastic lever on the side of the seat that tilts the seat forward so somebody can sit in the back seat. The GTO's HVAC control **** feels like it was taken directly from a KIA. If you want another example just compare the glove box or HVAC vents on the G35 to any Audi or BMW they feel very low quality in comparison. The reason I bring this up is because every car has its advantages and disadvantages while the GTO may not be the best looking car it has no real downfalls for $33,000, almost everything about the car is high quality. Yes, Audi and BMW have higher quality interiors than the G35 like it or not that's the way it is. I didn't say this just to make everyone here mad but I said it to prove a point. The Germans have nicer interiors but the BMW and Audi equivalent will cost about $5,000+ additional when you add options and their not as quick as the G35 (BMW 330 coupe, Audi 3.2 DSG TT.) The GTO is much faster and handles just as good as a g35 but the g35 has many more features and options that’s why it costs more. You get what you pay for and that's all there is to it. The last thing I want to address is a geopolitical point. I've been reading around this forum for the last couple weeks and have noticed that many people believe products made or engineered in Japan are the best thing in the world and that products made or engineered in America are crap. If you are of this opinion you are an idiot. High quality products can be made anywhere in the world and we can buy which ever ones we want; this is the advantage of free trade. We must however remember that "anywhere in the world" means America as well. GM and Ford are doing great things with the quality of their products and if you don't see that you need to open your eyes. I work for a very large Japanese imaging corporation and I know all things that come from Japan aren’t as high quality as you think. Many times the Japanese cut corners when they shouldn’t. The 2003-2004 g35 interior is an example of this, they used silver painted plastic instead of aluminum and after all the complaints about the interior quality they decided to use sheet aluminum to make it look more upscale which is still does not. I hope a lot of you guys will start to look at products more fairly in the future and not just call a product junk because it’s made here or not made there.

-Justin

Old 07-05-2005, 12:16 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unbelievable. If you compare the GTO to the 3 series and Infiniti, might as well stick in the STi and GT stang just to show a true comparo between all cars in the price range. We all know the STi would have won the performance category hands down and the BMW would have won the luxury aspect. The stang would have easily been the best bang for the buck and the Infiniti...well its just plain sexy Fact is the GTO is a miserable sales FAILURE because it completely misses its target audience. Its like the last CLS which tried to do everything well but had no attribute which truly appealed to a market segment.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:00 PM
The g interior is not all the perfect? Wow where has this guy been. I thought it was the best ever until I was so aptly informed. Where do these guys come from. All cars have thier flaws that's why they get discussed when comparing. The only car I can think of that I would want badly and not want at all at the same time: GTO.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
So if I was looking at a car (hypothetically of course) with a 12.0l W12 putting out 300hp, it wouldn't matter compared to a 3.5l V6 w/ 300hp? Well, I'm not sure about you, but efficiency (aka weight) matters to me

Oh, and you really think a 6.0l engine with 400 torque is not going to get worse gas mileage? The listed mileage is granny driving, not 400 ft/lbs of torque driving (aka normal driving). <shrug> I dunno just seems to me like that's not going to be the case...
According to fueleconomy.gov the G35's combined gas mileage (city+highway avg) is 20 mpg (which most people here seem to get on average), whereas the GTO's is 18 mpg
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21556.shtml
Check the exterior dimensions and weight of the VQ and LS1. I'm betting they are a lot closer then you would think. Bottom line, the LSX motors are ancient in terms of pushrods, but its the only combo I can think of that can throw down 340+ RWHP and get decent mileage....

Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by GBousis
Guys who cares anyways. Its a freakin PONTIAC thats all you gotta keep in mind. In my opinion GTO is for guys that think they are the sh** and they are ontop of the world. Some guy I know thinks hes Andretti with his GTO and the funny thing is that I beat him every time cause he cant drive for sh**. I know im 18 and I can be a little nieve, but think about it we have so much more pride in our cars. If you gave a lady the choice I gurantee you our car would come ontop 10/10 times every single time. G35 vs gto wow who cares, slap a turbo or sc on our car and well see who talks espcially with a 3.5 liter engine! In my opinion PONTIAC is a bunch of losers, my friend has one and we all rip on him all day. We tell him its like buying a "poor mand ferrari" or look I think i own a vet but i dont!
Nice post....experience, intellect, and ignorance owns you....

Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by SAL9000
You'd think that Ford and GM would want to keep this under wraps what with such lovely attributes as a pushrod motor, solid rear axle, 5 sp manual tranny, 4 sp auto tranny, FWD and an iron engine block or two. All engineering abominations in a 2005 model year car.

Too bad the GTO doesn't have a solid rear. 5 speed manual, FWD, or an iron block....Other then that you are batting 1000.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws824
This is my first post so I don't want to cause uproar but I think the GTO is more in the class of a BMW/Infiniti rather than a Mustang. First the GTO has independent rear suspension just like the Infiniti and BMW while the Mustang has a solid rear axle. The GTO actually handles very well it's not just a straight line car.
I wouldn't say the GTO is BMW/Infiniti quality. I wanted to buy a GTO, before I got the G35. The sticker on a GTO is 34k. (Nevermind the MSRP+10k the dealer wanted at the time). For that price you can't even get a sunroof, heated seats, or climate control. Nevermind about navi, heated mirrors, side airbags and curtain airbags, etc.

As for the handling. I actually heard that the GTO doesn't really handle all that great, and it was blamed on the iron suspension components that were designed to withstand the australian outback. At least that's what Car and Driver TV said. Either way, I remember it's skid pad was in the low to mid 0.8's, which is significantly worse than the G35.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
I wouldn't say the GTO is BMW/Infiniti quality. I wanted to buy a GTO, before I got the G35. The sticker on a GTO is 34k. (Nevermind the MSRP+10k the dealer wanted at the time). For that price you can't even get a sunroof, heated seats, or climate control. Nevermind about navi, heated mirrors, side airbags and curtain airbags, etc.

As for the handling. I actually heard that the GTO doesn't really handle all that great, and it was blamed on the iron suspension components that were designed to withstand the australian outback. At least that's what Car and Driver TV said. Either way, I remember it's skid pad was in the low to mid 0.8's, which is significantly worse than the G35.
I was a total GTO hater when they came out. Too heavy, bland styling etc. Then my wife wanted a daily driver and was looking at Accords, Camrys etc, all boring cars. The incentives on the '04 GTOs in late '04 made them very attractive. Sticker on ours was somewhere around $32 or $33k and we paid less then $27k for it. For $27k its a lot of car.

Heated seats I don't care about (now living in NC) but a sun/moon roof would be nice. Stuff like heated mirrors and navi is useless to me. I just wish the trunk was bigger and rear seat access was easier.

As far as handling, it handles well for its weight. But the weight is always apparent. Bottom line, the car needs more rear sway bar and a little stiffer spring rate wouldn't hurt either. Then again, that would stiffen up the ride and I'm not looking for an auto-X car either....

G35 is a better car then the GTO in every way except straight line acceleration. The GTO was also a whole lot cheaper, hence its in my driveway....Funny thing is I think a G sedan will join it soon....

Old 07-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
...And then she was like "shut up", but then he was like "no, you shut up", and then she was like, "no, YOU shut up" and then he was like, "no, you shut up" and then she was like "well, you started it" and then he was like "did not" and then she was like " did too" and then he was like "did not" and then she was like "did too", and then he was like " shut up"...
Well said