G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How useful is the NAVI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use it few times per week. It's a feature that you don't really need, but you really appreciate it if you have it.

For me, it's really useful since I'm not all that familar with roads here in Columbus. In VA, I don't really use it. Maybe once a week if that.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all depends on how much you're gonna use it. Some people on the forum don't need it at all, and others use it very frequently. You need to decide under which category you fall. I personally like the fact that it gives you info like the nearest gas stations and other similar info.

As for the touch screen, I've heard they don't last too long. I've heard many bad things about touch screens losing sensitivity and going bad from all the pushing and oils from your fingers. As convenient as a touch screen is, I would prefer to use a joystick.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 AM
i think does matter if you use it or not you should have it lol, for its price it come with onboard computer too why not ? and it's nice to have it better then when you need it but you dont have it, for me it's useful when traffic, i can take all the small street by look at the map on screen much safer then reading it on map

Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
C'mon....it's only $2000!

Seriously, I enjoy the navigation. It's not the best I have seen or played with (I am in the automotive industry), but it's does a good job.

I think you'll like it. However, if you want an aftermarket system though, I can hook you up with whatever you'd want-just PM me.

Take care,
LC

Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Nice to have. Also gives you car information besides directions. I just wish it was touchscreen and you could change that lonely womans voice.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't think I wanted it but it came with the car. Now that I have it, I love it. Do I use it every day? No... But the times I do need it, it's well worth the money. And like someone above said, it's great to have the fuel / Maintenence information.
Bottom Line - If you live in or near a big city and don't know every inch of it, I would say get it, it saves alot of frustration.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:46 PM
well worth it and you can add 2k when you resale it easily. So very good for resale and the best of all the girls like it.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
My opinion on the use of my factory nav is up in the air. To be honest it has gotten me lost more than one. As far as entering an address and letting it guide you there is nice if it is a area with some history. Even now with my car more than a year old now it still bugs out on me in areas that have been around for decades.

It has guided me to desitnations that are completely wrong, and not even in its database. How can you guide me to the destination that once we reach the so called destination it gets lost and the gps arrow goes off into the damn black abyss on the screen.

That being said it has helped a few times so like I said I am up in the air as to its usefullness. The real value in my opinion is actually just having the screen up so that displays the area. I use this feature if I have a sense of the destination already and can find my way as long as I have that continuously updated map of the immediate area.

The most exclusive feature of the nav is that it warns you if your trunk unlatched. If you have a coupe without nav, there is no warning light! Don't know about the sedans. My .02

Old 05-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the navi in my G. Even when I'm just tooling around in the city, I managed to find new ways home from the mall and such, even though I thought I knew the area like the back of my hand.

Aside from that, I really like the points of interest feature. I don't know how many times I've looked up the phone number to a bunch of stores or restaurants, to figure out who's open, or to call ahead to make reservations or something.

And on the counter side. Yeah, the joystick may be a pain. I personally don't like how the thing won't let you operate it when you're in motion. I mean, why can't the passenger fiddle with it?

But I guess you can't have it all. My wife has an 05' TL with Navi. Yeah, you would think her's would be easier to use. But the touch screen on the Acura navi is an utter piece of crap. Whenever I try to use it, the navi locks up randomly, or spends a long time thinking about my key presses. (It's so slow). I end up using the joystick on her navi too, because it's faster.

But then the Navi itself. The points of interest on the Acura navi is also an absolute piece of crap. 99.9% of the time, when I look up a store, restaurant, or lodge on the Navi on my G, it is in there. The exact opposite on my wife's navi. I punch in a store, lodge, or restaurant, and about 90% of the time, it's not in there, or it shows me one that is like 2,000 miles away. I end up having to punch in something that is somewhat nearby. But that sucks, because then you don't get the phone number to the place you want to go. On a particularly funny occasion, I was supposed to meet my wife at some sort of reception at a lodge (that is still in the city). It wasn't in her navi, and she actually called me on the phone while I was on my way there. The lodge was in the navi on my G. I had to read her the physical address, so she could enter it that way. The only pain, was that I had to pull over, because my navi wouldn't let me pull up the address of my destination while I was moving

But anyways, either that or Acura decided that the Pacific Northwest is unimportant, and didn't bother populating it with anything, and Infiniti decided to pay special attention to the pacific northwest

But all that aside, I've still decided that every car I buy from now on, has to have navi

Old 05-23-2005, 12:34 AM
There is no monthly fee. The GPS system doesn't update itself; you have to buy new DVD's from Infiniti. They release an updated DVD every year. You don't really have to buy a new DVD if you don't live in developing area.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 AM
How are you guys connecting PS2's and DVD Players to the stock navi? Are you getting sound too?

Old 05-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am about to by my g35
if I dont get thr navi can I buy later and self install?
Can I buy the unit, how much?

Old 05-24-2005, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by mario24601
I am about to by my g35
if I dont get thr navi can I buy later and self install?
Can I buy the unit, how much?
You can't do it. Well, maybe you can but it will cost sh!tload of money and you will be better off buying aftermarket Navi, which you can also use to play DVD's, connect rear view camera, and crap... the Navi itself will be better as well. If you want the stock Navi, then your only logical option is to buy it with the car.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Teo
I thought it was not neccessary initially but I wouldn't go without it now. learnt new faster ways to get to my destination ...new york city and around is no problem anymore...plus u drive and u r able to see where u are...on the map in birdview ...
the best feature by far....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How useful is the NAVI