G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

oil change at pepboys?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mc2
well the biggest factor is $$$. the reason that bothers me is because i know how easy an oil change is.. i
As easy as it is they will mess it up.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 AM
I'd be most worried that the pep boys teenage employee would not be careful and put scratches on the door sill and/or behind the door handle. I once got my Accord serviced at pep boys for $38. I didn't know it would be such a ripoff. My G costs $31 at Infiniti.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:57 AM
It was the first time I attempted to change the oil on my Supra TT so I went to walmart to buy the oil,jack,stands etc and I figured what the heck, I'll just do it in the parking lot in case I need more stuff

Worked out just fine...probably just got a few weird looks.

There's a nice writeup of how to do the oil change. It's honestly not hard and I'm pretty bad with mechanics and can do it. I've had great success with scissor jacks.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really hard to f%^c up on oil changes... I wouldn't take it to Pepboys though...

Old 05-22-2005, 06:48 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i bring my own oil and filter anywhere i go to get an oil change.

pep boys is 16 for labor

Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I continue to be amazed that folks who own a car worth nearly $40K want to save a dollar or two on routine maintenance. Take it to Infiniti and try to develop a decent relationship with your dealer. It will come in handy if you ever have a serious problem. Get a loaner from them if you one.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:47 AM
The closest infiniti dealer to me is an hour away but i have a nissan dealer right down the street... would it be ok to take it to the Nissan dealer for an oil change???

Old 05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
mc2
Originally Posted by jgainnm
I continue to be amazed that folks who own a car worth nearly $40K want to save a dollar or two on routine maintenance. Take it to Infiniti and try to develop a decent relationship with your dealer. It will come in handy if you ever have a serious problem. Get a loaner from them if you one.
Why is that? I see nothing wrong with trying to save money on something so simple.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Originally Posted by mc2
Why is that? I see nothing wrong with trying to save money on something so simple.
Not to be mean, but if you spent that much money on a car, why would you be worried about saving a couple of bucks on an oil change. You might end up losing money if they **** things up over at Pepboys. The way I look at it is its better to spend the extra money and make sure it gets done right. I don't mind taking my corolla to places like pepboys and jiffy lube, but as soon as I get my G I will make sure no one else except the dealer touches it. Just my .02

Old 05-22-2005, 03:52 PM
mc2
Originally Posted by geioushi
Not to be mean, but if you spent that much money on a car, why would you be worried about saving a couple of bucks on an oil change. You might end up losing money if they **** things up over at Pepboys. The way I look at it is its better to spend the extra money and make sure it gets done right. I don't mind taking my corolla to places like pepboys and jiffy lube, but as soon as I get my G I will make sure no one else except the dealer touches it. Just my .02

Because i don't mind paying for something if it's worth it. The car is worth the 40K that i paid for it, and i paid for it happily. But IMO an oil change is not worth the 40 bucks that the dealer is asking. So i would reluctantly pay for that.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
where do u live MC2? i'll do it for some in&out if ur in so cal..

$22ish Mobil1 oil at walmart
$6 Filter at Nissan dealer
$2 double double at in&out

$30 total

Old 05-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I do at the dealer to be certain it is done right, and if it is not done right, I know they will correct the problem (they have always done it right as far as I can tell).

It also, as jgainnm said above, helps to establish a good relationship with the dealer. They are people who, like everyone else (mostly), respond well to being treated nicely. If they think you are fair with them, they may be more than fair with you. I have 2 examples that I have given on other threads. The most recent was the $230 tire they replaced when they didn't have to (and they may have had to eat the cost). If the service dept. had not known me as a good customer in service and the showroom, I would have had to find a Goodyear dealer and paid a prorated fee for a new one. On another thread, someone pointed out that in a business everyone should be treated the same. While I agree in general, I imagine a dealer who has seen you a lot (and done your service, etc.) will be more likely to go out of the way to help you. Sometimes we need people to go out of their way for us.

Besides, bringing it to the dealer gives me a chance to sit in the new cars!

Old 05-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokedhen
where is there a DIY on oil changes?
There is a writeup on this forum or another g35 forum. Its very detailed and
very useful.

As for everyone debating taking it to the dealer or not, I personally just think
it's preference. For me, I know I wont screw up a oil change so I do it myself.
I dont know if by bringing in the car you build a relationship with the dealer or not since Ive been to dealerships and have been able to build relationships during my 1st visit. Some places are just easier to deal with than others.

Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
Do you guys think it's okay to get an oil change at pepboys?

I've just reached the break in period and wanna take my car in for an oil change but don't really want to bring it to the dealer for this service this time.
Some stories I heard from people who went to quick lube/pep-boy shops.
1: over-fill the oil.
2: over-fill all fluids
3: stripped the nut for the oil drain plug.
4: cross threaded the oil filter.
5: put tranny fluid in the oil by accident.
6: scratched the fender and hood.
7: Over inflated the tires.
8: Tore a radiator hose on a car? **Don't know how that happened.**

Buy the way I seen 1-2-6 & 7 happen on friends cars. The others I heard from people i used to work with or had conversations with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil change at pepboys?