G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

About to take the plunge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking About to take the plunge...

Well after researching for about 2 months, I'm ready to finally pull the trigger and buy my G. I'm going on Friday for an '05 G, AT, with Premium, Aero, and Sport Suspension package. Athens Blue for color.

I do have a quick question though. I know the tires that come stock are not the best in snow (to say the least, from what I've heard). And living in Pennsylvania, the winters can sometimes be a little rough. So I'm considering buying a set of winter wheels. Probably some 17's with Bridgestone Blizzaks on them. It will be a bit expensive, but should help out immensely in the snow. Has anyone done this? I'm curious as to how much it improves winter performance.

Thanks for the help folks!

Old 05-25-2005, 12:53 PM
If you are getting the sport suspension do not even consider driving in the snow with them, it is downright scary. I had to drive my 04 coupe with the performance wheel/tire (Michelin Pilot Sports) up the hills and back roads to my house (NJ). With just an inch or snow the car would lose control very easily, I could not get up my driveway, about 25 degree incline without flooring and spinning the tires all the way up it with the TC off. I have the LSD, i think yours does too which helps, but definitely get some winter rubber. The Blizzaks are the best way to go, 17" is a good size, with rims it will prob run about $1200-1300 mounted from tirerack. Do a search, this has been discussed in more detail in other posts.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
how bout a g35 with the sports susspension and stock 19 inch tires

how bad is it in snow??

Im talking just on the side streets the main road's are always clean in chicago.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shift81
Well after researching for about 2 months, I'm ready to finally pull the trigger and buy my G. I'm going on Friday for an '05 G, AT, with Premium, Aero, and Sport Suspension package. Athens Blue for color.

I do have a quick question though. I know the tires that come stock are not the best in snow (to say the least, from what I've heard). And living in Pennsylvania, the winters can sometimes be a little rough. So I'm considering buying a set of winter wheels. Probably some 17's with Bridgestone Blizzaks on them. It will be a bit expensive, but should help out immensely in the snow. Has anyone done this? I'm curious as to how much it improves winter performance.

Thanks for the help folks!

I don't know what to tell you. I live in LA where it snows every 11 years...

Old 05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gmachine
If you are getting the sport suspension do not even consider driving in the snow with them, it is downright scary. I had to drive my 04 coupe with the performance wheel/tire (Michelin Pilot Sports) up the hills and back roads to my house (NJ). With just an inch or snow the car would lose control very easily, I could not get up my driveway, about 25 degree incline without flooring and spinning the tires all the way up it with the TC off. I have the LSD, i think yours does too which helps, but definitely get some winter rubber. The Blizzaks are the best way to go, 17" is a good size, with rims it will prob run about $1200-1300 mounted from tirerack. Do a search, this has been discussed in more detail in other posts.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of the Blizzaks myself after reading a lot about them on various forums. My only other option would be to drive around a winter beater, but then my beatiful G35 would be sitting in the garage, and I'd be making payments on a car I wasn't driving. I don't want that. The only other concern I have is tire life. I'm thinking I can hope for 15k out of the OEM tires, and tires for 19" wheels are not cheap...

Old 05-25-2005, 04:12 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielEshaghian
I don't know what to tell you. I live in LA where it snows every 11 years...
Dude...water coming from the sky isn't considered snow. Maybe you meant every 111 years?

Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 PM
After doing some more research on the stock tires, I'm getting a bit more concerned. I've been reading horror stories left and right on how bad the high performance summer tires are on ANYTHING other than a warm, dry surface. If I'm going to be in bad shape with even some rain, I may decide to opt out of the sport suspension package and just get the 18"s with all-season tires.

I've searched both this forum and www.6mt.net, and I've just seen references to how bad the tires are in anything approaching inclement weather. Can anyone give me some more info? I'm not expecting it to drive like it's on rails all year round, but I at least want to be able to drive it in the rain...

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
It works on my machine
My 2 cents. I live in the Chicago area and just bought the 6MT 2 weeks ago, which has the sport suspension. I drove it through a MAJOR downpour the second day I had it, I was a bit disappointed because I did NOT even get little tire spin. Now granted this was only the second day with 50 or so miles and I was not driving like a crazy man either. I also plan on getting some winter wheels and tires.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Call the Cops
would snow tires and 17's really help that much?

i would say just get a "winter beater"

it doesnt have to sit in the garage, it doesnt snow 24/7...
my car sat in the garage for only like 15 days this past winter