G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

need 2 vent !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 06:17 PM
G SQUAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: need 2 vent !!

The more important issues with the ticket are your license plate number, VIN #, your license ID #, name, signatures, etc. A technical fault can sometimes be remedied before the hearing and the ticket may be thrown out. That's what they do here in NY with faulty violations. It goes to the credibility of the author and his ability to perceive facts and events correctly. If he can't fill out a ticket correctly, the court will wonder why they should uphold the ticket.

Dressing appropriately is subjective, but when in court, showing deference to the ALJ is ideal. I'm not going to argue it, because this is what I do. When judges see fools, they have a way of ruling against them. I would STRONGLY recommend a suit if you have it. If you don't, I'll defer to Judgedog and say that you shouldn't go out and buy one, but atleast wear dress pants a button up shirt, tuck it all in and make sure you're squared. If you dont' have dress pants or button up shirts, well, go buy yourself a suit, you'll use it at future weddings and funerals! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not sure if JD has had any experience with speeding tickets, so I'll correct his info. Judges that hear these cases usually ONLY hear these cases. This is traffic court, that's what they do. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about with "most judges are not too keen on hearing a bunch of speeding trials." That's what they do! That's why the "more important" cases will be more failure to signal and speeding tickets.

And he's definately wrong in presuming that a suit is too much, because I'm telling you flat out, that it is not! And I've NEVER heard someone questioning the credibility of a defendant who wore a suit to court. I'd question the credibility of one who did not take court seriously enough to dress up!

Think rationally about it....the police officer basically has the day off to offer testimony about his previously written tickets and to support them. He shows up in full uniform. Why? Because it lends credibility to his testimony and shows his deference to the court. That's his "show." Then you walk up to the bench, what will the ALJ see on you?

If you need any help in formulating your questions, just let me know. I'll revise what you have and help you determine what else is needed if you'd like. Just im me!

2003.5 - G35 6spd - Diamond Graphite/Graphite leather, prem, aero package/kit

Old 06-07-2003, 09:16 PM

Every place is different with regard to traffic laws...being a former Louisiana "pig" (I hate that term by the way...it's so left-coast sixties), I know how it works here in La....

1) If you know FOR A FACT that he won't be there, the ticket will get dismissed...however, "pig" vacations don't mean they're going anywhere and since they draw court pay, he'll probably show up...

2) Request calibration docs on the speedo...they need to be current (last month, if memory serves me correctly). Even then, a good traffic lawyer will make it hell on the department to prove the certification...

3) As long as they get their money, DAs love deals...meet with the DA before appearing before the judge and ask that it be reduced to a non-moving, plead guilty and pay it...never shows up on your driving record...

Just my $.02...I'm offshore and can't go in to much detail...since I am working...lol

Drive it like I stole it?
Hell...drive it like I'm making payments on it...

Old 06-08-2003, 01:36 AM

I do hear traffic cases, misdemeanor criminal, felony criminal, juvenile, domestic relations cases, among others. I am a state circuit judge, and have the power to hear many different kinds of cases. Prior to taking the bench, I was in private practice for 13 years, mainly practicing criminal defense. I'm not sure what Balzac's credentials are, and I'm sure that he is just trying to help. Neither he, nor I, are right or wrong. . .the "wear a suit" or "not wear a suit" is certainly subjective. . .but I can tell you in my experience, those guys wearing brand new suits (obviously, just for their Court appearance) were the butt of many a joke at the counsel table. I ALWAYS, instructed my clients NOT to wear a suit or sportscoat, no matter how minor or serious the charge. Again, this is subjective. Obviously, I appreciate it when the people in my Court show the Court the proper respect.
Practices vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. . .some have a"traffic docket", which probably only includes minor traffic violations. I have a "criminal docket", it usually includes traffic violations (no seat belt, speeding, DWI and everything in between), assaults, drug cases, rapes, murders, etc. Trust me, even if the docket is light, we "are not too keen on hearing a bunch of speeding trials". We will hear them all if necessary, because that is our job, but it doesn't mean we want to hear them.
In the end, dress "appropriately". If you feel comfortable in the suit, wear it. . .if not, don't. The most important thing, is that you tell the truth, and do not be evasive when asked direct questions. If the judge IS hearing your case, the sad truth is, he/she would probably rather be doing something else (playing golf, surfing the internet, or driving his/her G35!!!). Tell the truth, keep your case as short as possible, but do so thoroughly. Be pleasant, make the judge want to rule in your favor. The prosecution seldom will go to the effort of appealing a "not guilty" speeding verdict. Too much time and energy to take it to the Court of Appeals. If you can make the Judge want to rule in your favor, he/she knows that there is little risk of appeal (i.e. being reversed) in doing so.
We are all lucky to have places like this where we can share our own opinions. Listen to everyone's advice, use your best judgment, and good luck.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Judgedog, Thanks you for taking the time to answer our thread and give us a 'judge's eye view' of the situation.
Sometimes these legalities can be frustrating, and it sure helps to have a 'G brother' on the bench to help out... Much appreciated.......[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 06-08-2003, 04:06 AM

I 2nd that! Thanks to both of you (Balzac & Judgedog) for you insight inot this topic. I personally have been there and done that. Got called speeding on the Interstate going .......well, let's just say he got me at 120MPH.. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I remained very calm and polite.which I think confused the Officer....the whole while he was hollering at me (something about keys and don't move my arms, and stay in the car...i think) I was completely cool, calm and collective. The bottomline was I pleaded down with the ADA and had it reduced.basically a slap on the wrist.
The moral of this story is to keep your cool and you'll have a better chance at acheiving your desired outcome.
Nuff Said!

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 6/03

Old 06-08-2003, 04:06 PM

I live in CA too and I feel for you. CA is an expensive place to live and one of the ways the city makes money is to hand out speeding tickets, assuming no one will fight it because we're all so busy trying to make a living.

Just appearing in court looking smart and business-like will at the very least get you a reduction in fees. I've heard before that if you appear you lose the right to traffic school, but the judge can rule for you to go to traffic school, so don't be afraid to try.

Also, if this ever happens again, don't argue with the cop. Don't say anything about appearing in court. That way, when you do appear, he will have forgotten about it. That's the advice I got in traffic school. Say nothing, sign the ticket, get out a pad of paper and write down everything that was done and said and sign and date/time it. Bring that to court with any other evidence.

If this is your first ticket it may not cost you anything in insurance. Most insurance companies will allow one speeding ticket and still give you the good driver's discount. Farmer's Ins. does, anyway.

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 06-08-2003, 06:22 PM
G SQUAD

My apologies to the Judge! However, like I said, things differ by area of the country and the way our courts operate is one way. Long Island traffic court is just that - traffic court. Basically the judge has nothing better to do than hear speeding ticket cases all day!

Anyway, just make sure you don't wear a "20 Reasons Why a Beer is Better Than a Woman" t-shirt!

Old 06-08-2003, 09:45 PM

i once got pulled over in NY and went to fight it. court date is out a couple of months. i get to court only to find cop pulls a no show. am told each of us is entitled to a no show. date is now couple of months later. 2 weeks beforehand, i call court and cancel.

pushed back another couple of months. week before, he cancels. two months later another date. week before i cancel. this tennis match goes on.

next thing, i get letter it is dropped.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
G SQUAD

Yup, that's about the way it works! You got lucky though, usually they don't no-show or reschedule twice AND usually they don't allow two reschedulings on your part.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:09 AM
My 2 cents...

I've fought two tickets and beat them both (cop didn't show). You have most of the good tips down, I bought this online manual on how to beat traffic tickets for pointers before fighting my tickets. The first ticket I fought my friend and I were riding our gixxer 750's. Of course we were speeding....but not where the cop stated we were. I also knew I had a good chance to beat the ticket since the cop pulled us over 8 miles from where he stated we were speeding. I decided to fight the ticket whereas my friend decided to go to traffic school. Cop didn't show.

FACTS: 75% of those who fight tickets get off completely (In 50% in cases in which a ticket is contested the cop doesn't show....in half of the other cases, the case is ruled in the defendant's favor).

You will ALWAYS at least get a reduction in fine.

The system BANKS on the fact that the vast majority of tickets will NOT be contested since the public is so uninformed/apprehensive about the court proceedings.
If you have someone in the car with you....BRING them...it can only help your case. Writing down info...taking notes will dramatically help your case. Also ASK for copies of the cop's notes...most of them will not have notes and exposing this to the judge will benefit your case.

You are absolutely right, tickets are often given just to generate state revenue....and speed traps are a CHP's best friend. NOONE goes the speed limit (65 mph)...the state should get real and realize this, cars are more capable now and raising the speed limit to 75 should be instilled nearly everywhere.

G35C 6MT BS/G/Nav/Prem/Aero

Old 09-09-2003, 03:44 AM
RKG

I personally think that cop did a number on you by age discrimination, or maybe he was jelous that you were driving such a nice car. Personally i look like a 13 year old and i get into movie theaters at kid's prices and there thave been hundreds of times where i drove right beside the cop or was followed by a cop and they never pull me over.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry that happend to you...

i live in CA, i got 3 speeding tickets, 1 carpool ticket, 1 driving w/ suspended lis... my judge dismissed 3 of them, 1 speeding, 1 carpool, 1 w/ driving w/ suspended lis... i went to court for all of them, no matter it was my fault or not... tell the judge the truth... dont bs...

for speeding... like everyone said... wait for the mail to come, set the court date... by just settiong a court date, you have chance to get it dismissed or cut down the price of the ticket... few days b4 the court date, call the court and ask for continuence (setting different court date)... this messes up the cop's schedule, higher chance of him not showing up... since the 50 that caught u is gonna be on vacation... i guess hes not gonna show up? ticket dismissed?

if he shows up... i hope you read what every1 said haha

oh make sure u say "ur honor" after you say something to the judge... n b4 you ask nething to the judge... BE NICE to the *** that gave u the ticket at court... hes not ur enemy nemore...