G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I got hit lightly rear ended today, have some pics + questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if that's only damage...don't report it to the insurance

Even if it does cost a couple hundred bucks (which I HIGHLY doubt). It's not worth it. If it does end up costing a couple hundred...get cash from the guy and be done with it. Insurance will raise your rates, report it to DMV, carfax, etc. Looks very minor.

Hooman

Old 06-03-2005, 12:45 AM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB

first the ****

and now this
Im having one of those weeks man.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you got his info. On my previous car I got bumped from behind and I didn't see any damage right after the incident. But, after a few days the paint on the bumper started to get spider cracks which became more visible over time. My last car was a dark green color and the cracks picked up dirt and showed up in a light brown. I'm not sure if this will show on your gray paint though.

I've asked some friends about the cracks and they too related stories of getting bumped and having those cracks show up after a few days, but I don't know if this happens for everyone.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
the 800 dollars was for a new bumper cover ,paint, and labor.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
like everyone is suggesting, go get a couple estimates....the problem there is, most shops won't be able to give you a complete estimate until they have the car in the shop torn down....there are several components that make up our bumpers and those components can't be seen with the bumper cover on the car....and if you go thru his insurance, your rates won't be affected and they should supply you with a rental...probably a 2-4 day repair depending on the shop and their workload....It would take a plastic repair to fix those cracks (3M makes a new plastic bumper repair kit), don't let the shop use bondo/filler...and a good shop who doesn't have the 3M kit should just replace the cover....either way, you too are probably looking near the $600-1000 range for this job.....good luck

Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about the way too friendly bumper! Thankfully it's not real noticable...keep us up to date on how it all turns out.

pm me if you need a recommendation for a top notch body shop (just incase)

Old 06-03-2005, 10:56 AM
gtr proto test driver
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
care to explain what caused it to be an 800 dollar repair
entire bumper + paint, thats what It cost me in NorthNJ for my bumper, 1600 total for my body shop work this weekend

Old 06-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I hope I never get into an accident. If that little bit will cost 800-1000 what on earth would a fender cost?

Hooman

Old 06-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Front molding is 528$ to replace, painted =\ can't imagine what a bumper would cost

Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 PM
► Matt ◄
*Update*

I've been talking to the guy every day and he called me today and decided he is going to pay out of his pocket for me to get a new bumper. His words went something like "I decided I'm just going to write you a check for it. And I dont want you to just get that bumper fixed, I want you to replace it. I am aware its a really fancy car and should be about $900 to $1000 dollars. Just go get the estimate and ill write the check for it." He said he has felt like s^it all day. He began telling me this story about how his brother owns a trans am (old one I premume) and hes just like me and keeps it really nice and all that and he just wants to make sure that is will be back to the way it was. He seems like a really nice guy, I wish their were more of him in the world.

Anyways, my only issue is if Im going to get a new bumper cover, I would either have to order another one of bats rear valance overlays (which i prefer not to, its a bi*ch to install.) Or I could ask the shop to paint that piece black (OB black, or JDM flat black havent decided) but the only thing is that will cost more and I dont want the guy to have to pay for that becuase hes been so nice. So what do you guys think I should do? Im going to a shop Madchef recommended on Monday for an estimate and see what they say about it all. But id love your opinions to.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 AM
If possible, I would just keep the money and not repair.

It doesnt look that bad, plus no matter how good a body shop is, it still wont be factory painted.

I would rather have factory paint on my car and some minor damage, rather than having to deal with the bodyshop if they dont do it right.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:36 AM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
If possible, I would just keep the money and not repair.

It doesnt look that bad, plus no matter how good a body shop is, it still wont be factory painted.

I would rather have factory paint on my car and some minor damage, rather than having to deal with the bodyshop if they dont do it right.
Ya, I have been seriously considering this.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd agree...if it's not too bad just keep the money. It's good you ran into a nice guy.

My friend with a A4 was in a similiar situation before...it was ironic because my other friend was the one who did it. Anyway, a buddy of mine gently tapped the A4 in the parking lot and the license plate holes went into the rear bumper. It was $400 to fix so he just paid it. My friend with the A4 just used it for Ski's or something.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:44 PM
gtr proto test driver
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
Ya, I have been seriously considering this.
naa.. hes a nice guy use the money for a new bumper.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 PM
► Matt ◄
I just got back from one shop. The details for repair:

Replace rear cover and refinish $601.20
Replace bumper clips $15.00
Color sand and buff $45.00
Total due $767.51

Only thing is $45 kinda seems low for paint doesnt it? And that also includes painting the bottom valence black. What do you guys think? I called 2 other places but their closed for the weekend and both are estimates by appt only. (Well one is for sure, I talked to a secretary who happened to be their).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got hit lightly rear ended today, have some pics + questions