G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I got hit lightly rear ended today, have some pics + questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll make this short. I was in stop + go traffic today and was stopped. The car behind me hit me lightly and it felt exactly like i let my foot off the clutch whe the car was in gear. Anyways we pulled over, I examined my rear and their was no scratches (and I looked hard). So anyways I got home and examined it again, and their is no hint of it on the visible part. However I looked underneath where the licence plate lights are and their is a 2 cracks underneath, and my licence plate will not come off. The right screw seems to be stuck. Also the licence plate feels loose on the right side. Here is a pic of the only real damage... now for the question. Should I look anywhere else? Could anywhere else be buckled like shown in the pics? And what should I do, go through insurance for this? Just get it fixed myself?

Here is the right side, the left side looks a bit like this as well but this side is worse.

Last edited by IS300TOG35; 06-02-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
► Matt ◄

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56112

Sry double posted.

Last edited by IS300TOG35; 06-02-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dang, sorry to hear about your little bump.

I've had cars in the past that got tapped a little bit like that with
similar damage where the clips or mounting hardware was lightly broken.
I didn't repair it because unless you looked REAL hard no one would notice
the damage and functionally it was still well intact.

I would look under the bumper area a little close check exhaust pipe to
bumper clearance, if any brackets under there gotten knocked out, etc.

It's up to you. I'd probably just leave it like that although it sucks.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I had the same thing happen (little bit less damage) I took the insurance info anyway, glad I did, because it was a 800 dollar repair....

Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by ballinG35
I had the same thing happen (little bit less damage) I took the insurance info anyway, glad I did, because it was a 800 dollar repair....
care to explain what caused it to be an 800 dollar repair

Old 06-02-2005, 07:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you get the name and or plate # of the guy that hit you? If so go after him and tell him there's more damage than you thought.
If not and you go thru insurance, it will change your rate since it's a claim.
Check out what the costs are first and go from there.
The licence plate frame (and plate) are held on by a bolt that goes into a little clip fixed on the bumper. Either the clip is broken or it's missing. Your dealer will have some.
Get someone to inspect underneath the rear to make sure there's no other damage there.

Sorry to hear of the problem, but if it happens again, get names and numbers to contact until a proper evaluation the damages can be done.

G/L
C.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Did you get the name and or plate # of the guy that hit you? If so go after him and tell him there's more damage than you thought.
If not and you go thru insurance, it will change your rate since it's a claim.
Check out what the costs are first and go from there.
The licence plate frame (and plate) are held on by a bolt that goes into a little clip fixed on the bumper. Either the clip is broken or it's missing. Your dealer will have some.
Get someone to inspect underneath the rear to make sure there's no other damage there.

Sorry to hear of the problem, but if it happens again, get names and numbers to contact until a proper evaluation the damages can be done.

G/L
C.
The guy have me his name, number, where he worked (he had his name tag still on) and his license plate number. He told me to call him if I found more damage and when I did I called him and left a message on his machine.

I am gonna have someone inspect the whole thing, if more damage is found then Ill go through insurance. If its just a few broken clips, then Ill fix it myself.

Overall im relieved their is no scratches or blemishes becuase Im **** and would want the entire rear of my car re-painted. Im glad I dont have to deal with that s^it.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
► Matt ◄
Oh and the ironic part, I was on my way home from the shop who installed my new brake pads and SPC camber arms, and was happy I was all done with bringing my car to shops for the summer... I guess I jinxed it.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:54 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
Oh and the ironic part, I was on my way home from the shop who installed my new brake pads and SPC camber arms, and was happy I was all done with bringing my car to shops for the summer... I guess I jinxed it.
Don't stress it too much bro. Like you said, it's minor damage (probably) and easily fixed.
It's good you got the guys name and number just in case it's expensive.
I'm not surprised there's no damage to the outside of the bumper. As you found out, they are very forgiving in such situations.

Have it checked out but I doubt there's much more damage than you've already found. See what the body shop will charge to fix up the cracks and L/plate holders.

G/L with repairs. and look at it that you got away with little damage.

Take care,
C.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happend to me a year ago in my acura. The guy didn't want to use his insurance so I got the quote at a respectable shop and told him the price. It was $550, they had to replace the bumper cover and it looked brand new.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just call up the guy that hit u and ask him to repair it.. if he refuses.. IMO i would just fix it myself.. just a few $100 and nothing goes on record

Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm by no means an expert on this, but it's my understanding that it's possible to have damage to the impact-absorbing material under the bumper cover that may not readily be apparent. The problem being that it may look okay but you may not be properly cushioned should you have a future impact on that spot. I'd have a good body shop write up an estimate and give the guy the option of paying it outright or through his insurance.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Carry a weapon with you next time, Take none who touch the G in a offensive manor shalt not be taken alive, for the G has lost its holiness. Its like the freaking qur'an! didn't you sign that paper when you bought your G?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Gangster Member
go get a estimate of the damage at a bodyshop, bring it to him he can pay cash, or you will claim his insurance, of he doesnt want points he will pay you cash and just go and get it fixed

Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Call the Cops

first the ****

and now this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got hit lightly rear ended today, have some pics + questions