G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Aftermarket bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket bulbs

Ok all, this has been sitting on my mind ever since I bought the car. I love it, except I feel that the stock H.I.D. aren't bright enough and don't light up the road like I'd expect them to. At times, it appears that the fog lights are better aimed than the H.I.D.s.
So the question is, am I better off getting a brighter H.I.D. system where the stock one is, or should I convert the fogs to H.I.D. as well? I noticed someone posted pics of the fogs with H.I.D....and I think it might be too bright (if such a thing exists). For the guys who have done this mod, I know it makes the appearance brighter, but does having both low beam and fogs with H.I.D. light up the road any better?
This would really help me in making a decision. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Re: Aftermarket bulbs

First of all you need to make sure that your lights are properly aimed. I had to readjust the lights upwards because they were aimed too low. Therefore I could not see too far. Now they are much better almost equivalent the the HIDs on my BMW 328.

I also changed my fogs to the Sylvania's 9003 STs which are much brighter and whiter than the OEM fogs. They are quite close to the HIDs colour. If you change the fogs to HID chances are you will lose the high beam function. There are some HIDs that claim to have low/high in one unit but I do no thrust these units since they have to move the bulb. As far as I know there are no high/low HID bulbs.

Also if you want a brighter HID bulb you can cange from D2R (2800 lumens - OEM) to a D2S (3200 lumens) but you have to do some mods for it to fit. Check out the websites below to learn more about HIDs.

http://www.suvlights.com/

http://lighting.mbz.org/home.html

Old 06-10-2003, 04:00 AM

Although, I haven't done a conversion on the G's foglights, I've done it for many cars (GS300, IS300, Toyota Spyder, Honda CR-V, Sentra Spec-V, and a few others I cannot remember). Yes, using HID foglights really do illumintate the road much more..........however, most of the light is directed towards the gravel, since the foglights are sitting so low (may be adjustable, but I'm not sure about the Gs since I don't have fogs on mine). I have two cars with the HID conversions and for the other cars listed above, I would have to say, if it's brighter you want, then it's brighter you'll get.

As for changing the stock HID, yes, aftermarket HIDs are brighter, but not by much. Why change it if it's not really necessary. Many of my customers change it just because they love to take the "stock" part out of their cars and make them different (too much money in their wallets I say). The one reason I say to get aftermarket HIDs to replace the stock HID and foglights is to match them up in color.

As for just changing your foglights to aftermarket bulbs, you may or may not get a brighter light depending on who you talk to and how much you want to believe it actually improved (human nature). But in GENERAL, aftermarket colored bulbs are not as bright as the yellow stock bulbs.........they just seem that way to the human eye because of color distortion (white/blue vs. yellow). Much of it is in their marketing when they state, "Xenon Bulbs" or "95watts & 3 times brighter than stock". I sell aftermarket bulbs as well, but I'm knocking on them because of the ethics behind this type of marketing.

Kinda long, but hope this helped.

Wil
wil121@hotmail.com

Old 06-10-2003, 10:33 AM

Well, I've only had my car for a month. I can't see how the alignment for the headlights can be off...unless there was a goof-up at Infiniti. I might take it in to have it checked when I get my first oil change done.
So I suppose changing the stock bulbs to a higher "K" rating just changes the color that the bulb emits. It doesn't have a great affect in brightness at all?
Has anyone ever done a conversion to projector HID? How much work is involved? Is there a lot of cutting? The cost, and is the end result worth the effort?

Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 PM

Check out the following freshalloy.com forum re adjusting xenons and why most of them are adjusted too low.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...e#Post67318055

Old 06-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where'd you dig up that old thread? I contains my old post on aligning the lights![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>