G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

350z/G35 basically samething right? Then why Auto G35 runs high14-low15?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350z/G35 basically samething right? Then why Auto G35 runs high14-low15?

So alot of 350z/g35 owners in this one forum I know are claiming
that automatics on them are "very fast", and that difference
between 6-spd and automatic is minimal.

Told me that 6-spd 350Zs run high 13s, and 5spd autos run low 14s.

G35 and 350Z is very similar right? just a little heavier?
then why is auto g35 so slow? I see people running low 15s and high 14s.
thats slower than my damn honda that Im trying to "upgrade" to(g35).

I need some answers to this..

I am looking at purchasing auto g35 this summer and this sucks.
Its not like im buying a auto g35 to be a dragstrip monster,
but hey, if its got VQ under the hood, it should at least be in 14s
stock very easy.. this is so disappointing.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can run low-mid 14's easily, why do you ask?.....the G will have more DT loss than the Z's anyways.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:05 AM
where did you hear auto G's run low 15's? my old 04 accord v6 auto coupe should be in that range but not the G...

Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 AM
If you are so concerned about performance I would recommend you get a 6-speed 350Z. If you want a little luxury then go with a 6-speed G35. Slushboxes are slower than a manual gearbox. However, a bunch of German manufacturers BMW/AUDI have those neat Sequential Manual Gearboxes that will shift faster than a standard/clutch based tranny. If the G35 came with that you would have the best of both worlds.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:09 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Auto G's can run mid 14's. 6M/T G's run low 14's. The Z is 200lbs lighter so it should be a little quicker at high 13's to low 14's.
C.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you don't plan on tracking your car, then you won't ever see that big of a difference between .5 seconds in the quarter mile in street driving of a G35 vs a 350Z.

Get the car that you like better and suits your needs. the difference between the speed of the 2 cars is not drastic enough to base your decision between the 2 cars on.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Also, remember manual gearboxes have more advantages than just being able to accelerate faster. For example, downshifting 2 gears before you hit a corner so you can power out of it. Doing that in Manumatic mode would take much longer than just shifting gears in the 6MT.

You are sacrificing performance by getting the automatic. The question is how much are you willing to sacrifice? Are you sacrificing a lot by getting the 5AT? No. But there are drawbacks.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are so worry about performance, go buy a Porsche or a Ferrari. How fast do you need to go from Stop sign to Stop sign?

Old 06-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
Also, remember manual gearboxes have more advantages than just being able to accelerate faster. For example, downshifting 2 gears before you hit a corner so you can power out of it. Doing that in Manumatic mode would take much longer than just shifting gears in the 6MT.

You are sacrificing performance by getting the automatic. The question is how much are you willing to sacrifice? Are you sacrificing a lot by getting the 5AT? No. But there are drawbacks.

Just as there are drawbacks with the 6MT. Do a thread search on clutches and transmission replacements, noise, clutch engagement and excessive vibration. You may decide to sacrifice two-tenths of a second for smooth operation and better reliability.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
The 5AT is pretty fast already. The good thing is no clutch in bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Just as there are drawbacks with the 6MT. Do a thread search on clutches and transmission replacements, noise, clutch engagement and excessive vibration. You may decide to sacrifice two-tenths of a second for smooth operation and better reliability.
Smooth operation, yes.... The rest of this statement, I disagree with.

In most cases, manual transmissions last a lot longer than automatics, and the cost to replace a clutch and maintain a manual transmission pails in comparison of the cost to replace and maintain an automatic transmission.

The only case this might not hold true for, would be if you are excruciatingly harsh on your clutch(riding the clutch, extensively slipping it, etc). Someone who does this, might be replacing a clutch every 20k miles, but I imagine most people will be changing a clutch every 60-120K miles.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
It's funny to find someone who's complaining about tenths of a second driving from stop light to stop light. You need to make some sacrifices. Either get a car with a manual transmission or less luxury as in a 350Z.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Well I don't think any manual version of a car will be as smooth as its automatic counterpart. I think most people who buy a 6MT want to have that added dynamic to your driving experience that a manual transmission gives you. You are right in saying each type of transmission has its advantages and disadvantages.

Also, I do not think you can say that the majority of 6MT owners are experiencing problems and that the transmission is not as reliable as the 5AT. This is a message board on the internet which is a small population to begin with. A lot of people post only when they have problems. You would need a much larger sample of G owners and some hard statistics to backup that claim

Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for some awesome advices.

I hear that I should get porche or ferrari and stuff like that.
I'll take that as sarcasm, and I already said that I know its not a drag car,
so please don't be ignorant. I just want to feel safe in my car when im on the highway
and not worry about little 4cyl honda smoking me.

I know I am sacrificing alot..
I drive a honda and this is my 2nd manual car. And I just can't deal with it anymore.
Yes, I know I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I guess im not that kind of person
who can just shift all day even in traffics and feel comfortable.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Don't worry about the 4cyl honda's or the 6cyl for that matter. The whole basic gist is YES technically you can go a little faster in a 6mt, but the G's auto is damn good and you will find that unless someone is really good at manual the auto will beat them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350z/G35 basically samething right? Then why Auto G35 runs high14-low15?