G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tank overflowed at the Gas station today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:17 AM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickwong
Within 5-10 Working Days.
So what the gasoline has saturdays and sundays off to not eat at the paint or something..

Old 06-20-2005, 03:18 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
So what the gasoline has saturdays and sundays off to not eat at the paint or something..
yeah, its true... 5-10 working days... its cause on the weekend and holidays theres more smog in the air from all the commuters and it slows down the degradation of your paint cause there is less oxygen in the air, hence less oxidation from the paint...

its true

Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by mc2
What do you mean? The little gas tank people have to see when the level is full and when it is theyre supposed to send an email over to the little pump people inside the pump and tell them to stop pumping.
the server must have been down when they overflowed... dang microsoft!

Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Dude,
Your Paint Is Phucked. The Gas Is Going To Eat Up The Area And You'll Start To Notice A Discoloration Within 5-10 Working Days. Once The Gas Touches Your Paint Job, It Automatically Soaks Into The Finish.

Wow, Sorry Man. Better Luck Next Time......
You make it sound like it's the end of the world. It's not... and why do you write like that?

Old 06-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by ChazM
I ran my fuel real low this week to see how many gallons I have left after my navigation unit say's I am at empty or "****". I drove about 5-10 miles after the " **** " was displayed and while I was filling up my gas the fuel stopped at about 7 1/2 gallons! So I took the handle out and put it back in the tank and it started refueling. It got to 15, 16, 17 gallons and then I heard the gas getting close to the max and I thought it would stop....nope....it started gushing out all over the side of my car and my tires! I hurried up and turned off the nozzle as I had the clicker leverer thingy locked in.

I then took some of that gas station liquid and squeezy and washed the side of my car. My car was just washed today too and I know the gas can mess up my paint.......I don't know if i should get it re-washed again and why did this happen? Has it happened to anyone else?
You'll be fine.. As long as you didn't let the gas soak in.. Just spray/soak it with water. You did right.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by vstypicals
You make it sound like it's the end of the world. It's not... and why do you write like that?
write like how? It's horrible having gas spillage on your paint job. He might as well trade the car in for a new one.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 AM
It's not that bad if he washed it off immediately. Not bad at all.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Lex
Oh phawk..... that happened to me and I just wiped it with napkins... no water.. and haven't washed it since... It's been a week or so now... Am I going to see discoloration? I just got the car 3 weeks ago It's Ivory Pearl...

Old 06-20-2005, 06:25 AM
haha my god, some people on this forum are so dramatic. Your car will be completely fine with a bit of gas on their if you forget to wipe it off. Alot of waxes and stuff stop bad chemicals and stuff from the road from damaging your paint. Not to mention your car has plenty of clearcoat.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Nothing is going to happen to the paint. I had that happen to me in my first (2001) Mustang and I didn't even wash the gas off. No discoloration...

Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Modern Vapor Recovery systems in almost all gas stations by now are the reason you are dissuaded from "topping off" as in the past.

If you look closely down the dispenser nozzle, you will see a straw-sized tube within the larger nozzle tube. This is to allow the displaced gasoline vapors a way to exit your gas tank as liquid enters without dissipating into the atmosphere.

This vapor recovery tube sometimes gets clogged with liquid gasoline upon "topping off" and can cause failure of the automatic shutoff. Environmental contaminants and recovery system malfunction can also lead to the same occurence. Then we see spilled gas and angry customers!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just wash the area that was doused in fuel, dry it, and rewax. You'll be fine.
C.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
write like how? It's horrible having gas spillage on your paint job. He might as well trade the car in for a new one.

Ok, this makes sense.....let me trade my car in on a new one.....take about a $3k or more loss over a gas spillage????

My car is a lease, if it does discolor, i will just return my lease in 36 months and let the dealership worry about it

Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude,
Your Paint Is Phucked. The Gas Is Going To Eat Up The Area And You'll Start To Notice A Discoloration Within 5-10 Working Days. Once The Gas Touches Your Paint Job, It Automatically Soaks Into The Finish.

Wow, Sorry Man. Better Luck Next Time......
I didn't know gas had magical properties that allowed it to bypass all other layers and attack the "finish"...

Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Just light a match to make it evaporate quicker.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tank overflowed at the Gas station today!