G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Brembos at 17k... $480?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Booooz
....and i resent that! I know a thing... or two... or three about cars!

hehe, no worries... i forgive you!
HAHA... I didn't even pick up on that it could be read that way. Mah bad. What I meant to say was that it's always easier working on cars with another friend that knows how to do things. I've tried to get my friends who are clueless about cars to try to help me. It just makes it more frustrating!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afr0puff
HAHA... I didn't even pick up on that it could be read that way. Mah bad. What I meant to say was that it's always easier working on cars with another friend that knows how to do things. I've tried to get my friends who are clueless about cars to try to help me. It just makes it more frustrating!
I know you didn't mean anything by it, I was just giving you a hard time

Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i apologize if my comment came across as snoodey, that was not my intentions. moving forward, any pad, be it factory or aftermarket, wears down differerently, no 2 are the same, with this said it is very plausible that your pads just wore down quicker than normal, when it is time for me to replace my pads, which should be pretty soon here, i will probally be goin with the Projct Mu pads, i have heard many good things about them as well as personal experiences that my friends had when they used them on there own 240's, i think you should look into those, i have also heard good things about the hawk hps pads, ....but as far as bang for the buck, i would go with the project mu, i am, however undecided if im going to change out my rotors

Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Thank you very much, Rob!! That was very helpful!

Old 06-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kelly your breaks are fine! unless you went autocrossing since ive been gone your brembo's are fine and will be fine till i get home.. dont touch them.. you do need tires tho.. i wonder where you can get some

Last edited by paranormal; 06-24-2005 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM
BOOOZ - any info on that clicking rear axle? I seem to have the same exact problem. WHat did they have to say about that at Infiniti? It really annoys me...plus im wondering if it isnt real good to be driving the car around like that

Old 06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by G352NV
I just did all four slotted and drilled with pads for about 500.00
Where did you snag that deal? I'm running up on 40K and seems the brakes are getting pretty "whimpy".

Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Keep in mind that many aftermarket pads, like Hawk HPS and "low dust" pads will not have the same cold stopping performance that the OEM Brembos do. They are higher temp pads than the Brembos which makes them slightly better at reducing fade and they will likely last longer, but it comes at the expense of cold (initial) braking performance. You have to decide what's more important to you and what kind of climate you live in. If the temp drops below 40-50 degrees where you live during part of the year, you'll want to think carefully about going with a Hawk HPS on the street. Not sure about the Project Mu pads, but the basic upshot is - there's no free lunch with braking!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Boooz: There is nothing worse than having someone try and take advantage of another person.....especially dealerships. The nice thing though is that you are car-saavy AND you have paranormal watching your back. I am concerned of all of these threads that I am seeing regarding dealerships saying that the Brembo's need these high dollar fixes especially at such low miles. I have had several Brembo equipped cars and none of them required anything more than pad replacement and that was after a reasonable mileage......I never had to replace the rotors or even resurface the rotors once. Unless the rotors are warped......you would feel a shake in the pedal when stopping or unless you let the wear indicator strips dig into the rotors, there should be no reason to 'turn' (refinish) the rotors. I'm thinking that your dealership is approaching the end of a slow month and the techs are trying to find things to bump their paychecks up a bit.

I did laugh at your use of the "mother of a..." line. I use that all the time.

What did the dealership say about the rear axle issue?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:29 AM
btw, on sale.. Great to have..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47257

or the smaller 4" version (easier to work with on the car but too small for many other household uses)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47256

Old 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Booz I agree with you for thinking that the devilship err....dealership was trying to take advantage of you i've heard it countelss times from my friends that work as service advisors or techs in other dealerships....It almost happened to my parents one time...fortunately they called me to meet them and question the problem....All in all unless you're doing some F1 type racing with the some of the other G drivers i don't think your brakes would be worn down to that extreme!

Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
well boooz, i just brought my car in today for an oil change and some other service
they called me saying i need my brakes replaced too
i have 18k miles on my brembos and they said it was 95% worn down in the front and 90% in the back?
i'm not too saavy when it comes to brakes but i do remember hearing a weird squeal from my brakes the other day in my apt's garage. not the brake ddust squeak either.
i said screw it and they're resurfacing it and replacing the pads.
now i need to look for a beater car, and aftermarket brakes for future reference
also i don't downshift so much when i slow down, i use the brakes...
just never knew it was gonna come out to so much
it's a little short of a grand they said...
fkin ridiculous in my opinion

Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Changing the Brembo pads are very easy. I've done my fronts twice and my rears once. At 17k miles, you don't need to get your rotors resurfaced. What he can do for you is tell you how many mm you have on them and keep that figure in your head for future reference. OEM Bremo rotors are exspensive, but there are good quality alternatives when the time comes. The dealership will 99% of the time resurface your rotors even if they don't need them. It's all part of the $450 price tag. My dealership charges $120 an hour, so it's a $700 job for me. Ha!

Old 07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Booooz
I have 17k miles on my car...... it's 14 months old.... is this truly necessary? And if so... where do I go from here? Surely, there is a more... umm... cost efficient solution.....

Help, guys?? Thanks!
you were wise to tell them no to both.

if your brake pads truly need replacing, you can get replacements from tirerack (non-oem though). if i remember right it would cost around $100 for hawks. to know if the rotors are good you could measure their thickness and compare it to the recommended minimum. if they really do need replacing, you can buy replacements at tirerack and other places such as performance nissan, which sells stuff for brembos on both G and Zs (theyre the same).

in all probability though, you could just change the pads and be ok. if you want to stay oem, i would contact grubbs infiniti and see what they charge...
i dont know who else will sell oem pads for a reasonable amount.

good luck

Old 07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
If anyone is reading this thread that has had to get their brakes done at around 20k miles...just out of curiosity what the heck are you guys doing?!?!

I guess tracking it or autox I can see, but it seems like I've seen a lot of posts from just normal street use where people need their brakes done. I wasnt even planning on having to think about this until around 35k or so, and that is with spirited driving.

Are the Brembos that soft? Is the car just that heavy? Is this one of the issues with "sport" brakes? Are dealers just trying to rip everyone off that bad? Just curious 'cause coming from driving a Civic where you go 40k+ before even worrying about the brakes I'm just confused.

Plus I just got my tires at 20k and guddamn I dont want to be worrying about a brake job

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembos at 17k... $480?!?!?!