G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Brembos at 17k... $480?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brembos at 17k... $480?!?!?!

So I dropped my baby (well, one of them) off at Infiniti bright and early this a.m. so they could fix my suspension click... obviously my rear axle... well when "Jesse" left me a voicemail saying that the tech had some things he wanted to discuss with me I knew it was not good news... first they tried to convince me that I had to buy new tires from them immediately (as if I didn't know I'm driving on slicks) which I quickly shot down... I have other plans, thank you.... and when I refused this, he proceeded to inform me that my front brakes are in desperate need of replacing... "of course" he began, "the brembos are a bit more expensive..." mother of a.... i sighed and asked "how much?" "$480 for the brakes and to refinish your rotors" in the middle of my work I laughed out loud... "and these aren't covered under warranty?" I asked sarcastically.... "Uh no not the brembos" "Of course not!" I exclaimed... followed by "Don't touch them, I'll take care of it..."

I have 17k miles on my car...... it's 14 months old.... is this truly necessary? And if so... where do I go from here? Surely, there is a more... umm... cost efficient solution.....

Help, guys?? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 PM
as a side note....... I'm REALLY not feelin' my loaner sedan.....

Old 06-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Never enough
I just did all four slotted and drilled with pads for about 500.00

Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Booooz
So I dropped my baby (well, one of them) off at Infiniti bright and early this a.m. so they could fix my suspension click... obviously my rear axle... well when "Jesse" left me a voicemail saying that the tech had some things he wanted to discuss with me I knew it was not good news... first they tried to convince me that I had to buy new tires from them immediately (as if I didn't know I'm driving on slicks) which I quickly shot down... I have other plans, thank you.... and when I refused this, he proceeded to inform me that my front brakes are in desperate need of replacing... "of course" he began, "the brembos are a bit more expensive..." mother of a.... i sighed and asked "how much?" "$480 for the brakes and to refinish your rotors" in the middle of my work I laughed out loud... "and these aren't covered under warranty?" I asked sarcastically.... "Uh no not the brembos" "Of course not!" I exclaimed... followed by "Don't touch them, I'll take care of it..."

I have 17k miles on my car...... it's 14 months old.... is this truly necessary? And if so... where do I go from here? Surely, there is a more... umm... cost efficient solution.....

Help, guys?? Thanks!
You seem to be rolling eyes at the mech for pointing out that you are driving on slicks. WTF? do you expect....he is doing his job in pointing that out to you. You say "no thanks...you got other plans"...when do you think those plans are going to materialize? Cause driving around on slicks isnt the safest thing to do you know?

As far as the brakes go.....do the rotors even need to be resurfaced? If not then dont bother and go with a different pad this time...one that might give you some longer life, yet not comprimise so much on your stopping ability. I am running PBR pads on my Brembo's that I put on my WS6 and I spent like $100 for all four corners ummmm and the only cost efficient solution is to work on your car yourself and not take it to the dealer (I understand you took it in for warranty work this time).

Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
No I was rolling my eyes at Jesse... he's not the mech, I believe he's the service manager.... you'd have to meet him to understand, he's kind of umm.... fruity

oh, and I'm getting wheels & tires on Monday, so... no worries!!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
right now im sitting at a little bit over 32k on my odo. ive got the 6mt and i have not had to change my pads yet, and its only 10 months old; ive had volks since the day i bought the car, so wheels and diamter ect have had no effect on the wear of my factory pads..... to me it just seems like some people are riding the breaks a bit more often than some....peace

Old 06-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Oh my god... what has happened to this forum?? I can't even ask for help without getting snide remarks...... nevermind, I'll figure it out myself.. thanks

Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I say go the aftermarket route for new rotors and pads. It's about time for the freakin wheels!!!!! Pix straight away then mate!

Old 06-23-2005, 10:30 PM
hmmm, I was in my local dealer and heard them giving a 'tire class'. They were going to try match local prices and whatnot. This sounded like a great idea, but they will have to work hard on the trust angle.

Calling somebody up and telling them they are going to die a fiery death if they dont get new tires isnt going to work. They should have spoken to you in terms of wear indicators and thread depth. Same with the pads. Its quite possible you need the brake work, but they should have told you how many mm you have left and perhaps the runout on your rotors. Hard to come to any conclusions without that data.

Personally, I dont have any plans to spend any cash on any OEM brake components. For retail dealership prices, you can get better rotors and pads.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Was that quote for rotors and pads? Or just pads?

And don't get discourage by a reply or two, don't you still want an answer??

Last edited by madchef; 06-23-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cut a hole in your floor board and use your feet - flintstone style... LOL

Old 06-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by ducatiguy
Cut a hole in your floor board and use your feet - flintstone style... LOL
I think that may be the best idea i've heard yet.... at least it will save me a lot of money

Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Booooz, unless your method of braking is need of adjustment, I don't think you need to get your brembo's replaced at 17k. I went 35k on my original rotors and original pads before they needed replacing. I had 4 auto-x events and 1 light track day on them. The mechanic said I probably had at least another 4k miles left on them.

Don't have them replace anything until you get a second opinion. Take your front wheel off. Take a picture of your pads looking directly into the caliper. You might need a digital camera with a macro focus option. Take a look at those pictures and take a look at how thick your pads are.

You can also easily remove the pads and inspect them yourself. Grab a friend who knows a thing or two about cars. You can find instructions here:

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=31

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 PM
solution

I echo some of the others here. I too am looking at the cross-drilled, slotted rotors with new pad setup. Hopefully, by year end.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
Booooz, unless your method of braking is need of adjustment, I don't think you need to get your brembo's replaced at 17k. I went 35k on my original rotors and original pads before they needed replacing. I had 4 auto-x events and 1 light track day on them. The mechanic said I probably had at least another 4k miles left on them.

Don't have them replace anything until you get a second opinion. Take your front wheel off. Take a picture of your pads looking directly into the caliper. You might need a digital camera with a macro focus option. Take a look at those pictures and take a look at how thick your pads are.

You can also easily remove the pads and inspect them yourself. Grab a friend who knows a thing or two about cars. You can find instructions here:

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=31

Good luck!
Honestly, I think they were trying to rip me off because I'm a female and they expect me to know nothing about cars... they were wrong, and it made me angry... when i get my g back, i'll pull off my front wheels and check it out... worst case, I probably need new pads, I can almost guarantee that my rotors don't need to be resurfaced, they were just trying to sucker me into paying for it... and they failed...

....and i resent that! I know a thing... or two... or three about cars!

hehe, no worries... i forgive you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembos at 17k... $480?!?!?!