G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

any surfers with a coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any surfers with a coupe?

Any surfers that own a coupe? I'm thinking about starting to surf and want to know if there is a product out there that will safely hold the board on top of the g without damaging the car or the paint. I looked around and found a soft rack but I want to know if there is something better. Thanks

Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 AM
A true surfer can’t afford this car

Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Love Poker!!!
sorry not a surfer, but a bodyboarder

Old 06-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Just put your board in the passenger's seat.

Step 1 - Recline the passenger's seat
Step 2 - Put the board in with fins up and nose toward the rear window. (Use a board bag or sock to keep the wax off of the seat)
Step 3 - Put the seat belt around the board and secure it in place.
Step 4 - (With slack still in the belt and the passenger window down) carefully and gently close the passenger's door.
Step 5 - Snug the seat belt to keep the board from sliding around.

If you need to take someone else to the beach with you, just get a set of removable hard racks and put them on the other persons car. (Me, I throw my boards into the wife's Sequoia if I go w/ the family).

Oh, and after 6 trips to Costa Rica, 2 to Barbados and 1 to Hawaii, who says a "true surfer" cannot afford a G? One of the best surfers/shapers in Florida, Randy Richenberg, owns a late 90's model E36 M3.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:23 PM
surf board

Hey thanks for the help. How long is your board? Could a 8-9 ft board fit inside the g? I'm 6'2 so I need a longer board

Old 06-29-2005, 01:06 PM
That's not a surfboard... anything over 6' 8" is classified as a canoe.

Me, I'm 6' 0" and ~180 lbs. and waves head high or under I ride a 6' 0" fish. Anything up to about 4' over head and I'm on a 6' 5" speed board (mini squash tail) and if the winds are REALLY HARD OFFSHORE and/or if the waves are larger, I've got a 6' 8" mini gun (pin tail).

Going big is good but droping in LATE is better!

Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Don't drive your G to the beach to surf. I drove mine to the beach for a while, got out of the water one day and there was a nice 3x3 dent on the rear fender wheel well. People at the beach don't respect cars at all. I picked up a beater and that's my beach car now.

If you must drive the G, put the board in the car. Get a boardbag regardless. If the board goes inside you save your interior from wax/sand/sal****er. If outside you save your board from any errant rocks being kicked up. I could fit my shortboard(with boardbag) in the trunk, rear seat folded down. Racks are an eyesore. People may think you're a kook (deragatory term for bad surfer) if you put a rack on the G. As if you're some yuppie trying to surf to look cool.

But if you really must rack it, I used Dakine soft racks on my rental in Hawaii. Good racks. Didn't seem to mess up the car, held the boards well.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 PM
You're crazy if you're using the G as your beach car. Man get a cheap used car and put some racks on that. You don't want salt air damaging the G. But then if you were a surfer you'll already have a "beach car".
Man just imagine all the sand and having to sit on the leather seats with the salt water. It's a chance I wouldn't take.

I currently have some softracks from T&C they're different from the typical soft racks because they're square not rounded.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Naahhhh, just take a huge plastic 5 gallon container full of tap water and shower off after a nice session or two. Do the quick beach towel-board short change (all surfers know what this is) and then throw on some baggies and you're off. That's right, free ballin' baby! You feel clean, the inside of the G is 100% clean and when you get home wash the car like there's no tomorrow.

There's nothing better than getting out of the water after a very good session and having the ladies see you hop into the G. Aaahhh the good life.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by CHIZELD
sorry not a surfer, but a bodyboarder
sponge 4 lyfe!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Softracks on the coupe... i don't know... but even if you had the sedan, the softracks will scratch up the clear coat (it did on mine...). :-(

Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw this at Torrance a couple months ago. Looks like a clean install and functional. The slope might give your car some rear end lift and moderate speed though.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain
I saw this at Torrance a couple months ago. Looks like a clean install and functional. The slope might give your car some rear end lift and moderate speed though.

Oh no...

Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Thumbs down

aw man that looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 AM
surf board

that does look like disaster waiting to happen. I could see how that could go wrong in so many ways. Neff I never surfed before so people have been suggesting a fun board for me which I believe is around 8ft range so will that still fit with the back seat down and front seat tilted back? I think I'm going to try putting the board at an angle and seat belt it which would probably work. I also thought about getting a beach car but I got the coupe at a very early age of 18 and I don't think my parents will approve the idea of me getting a separate car just for purpose of going to the beach. Even if I got enough money together and paid for insurance and everything they would question why I have a g35 then. I go to school in nor cal and live in so cal so I could try and argue that I can use the beater car for making trips up and down from school to home but having a 35,000 dollar car sitting in the garage for most of the year seems like a big waste. I was actually thinking about trading down for like a cheap small suv or a small truck but then everytime I hear the purr out of the exhaust of the G I just can't think of trading it in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: any surfers with a coupe?