G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19s could be bad?

ive got the 19s on my g and i hear that its bad to drive in the snow? but this is the only car that i have and considering im still in high school and i need to drive to school...in the winter....where it snows pretty much every year...maybe couple inches average....should i start saving up for maybe the all weather tires or 17s or something? or should it b all right for me to drive in the winter? thanks for the help i really appreciate it
sue cho

Last edited by ChO.trAiN; 07-06-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:29 AM
your a girl? and still in hs?
is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people the this forum seem to be under 20 years old?

Originally Posted by ChO.trAiN
ive got the 19s on my g and i hear that its bad to drive in the snow? but this is the only car that i have and considering im still in high school and i need to drive to school...in the winter....where it snows pretty much every year...maybe couple inches average....should i start saving up for maybe the all weather tires or 17s or something? or should it b all right for me to drive in the winter? thanks for the help i really appreciate it
sue cho

Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Hyun83
your a girl? and still in hs?
is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people the this forum seem to be under 20 years old?
Your reply is useless.

The 19's won't work for the snow, that is very unsafe. Get some 17's with snow tires... you should be able to do this for about ~$600 total or so.. check ebay for the rims.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:48 AM
17's with snow tires are the safest bet. www.tirerack.com is a good place to get ideas on pricing and what's available. you can select the model car you have and their site will only show you what fits and is appropriately rated.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
you definitely need dedicated snow tires... last year, I bought a set of OEM 17" rims for $380 plus blizzak lm-22s for like $700... I'm sure you can find cheaper snow tires but better safe than sorry... never had a problem at all in the snow but I was very cautious. Don't take a chance and think you can go without them... spend the money now so you don't mess your car or yourself later on...

I suggest looking at the classifieds here or other forums for members selling their OEM 17s... then you can get the tires from tirerack or somewhere else and just have them mounted...

Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Don't bother... the tires won't help you... the G is a nightmare in the snow, you will get stuck everywhere

Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Booooz
Don't bother... the tires won't help you... the G is a nightmare in the snow, you will get stuck everywhere
Thats not really true......I purchased 17" rims with Dunlop M3 snow sport tires. I had no problems driving in inclement weather with the exception of one major storm, and I didn't even attempt to leave the house that day.
I drove my wife to work a couple of snow storms....6" or more, and I trucked right through the frozen stuff with no problems.....

Believe me, Snow Tires Are Necessary if you plan to use your G in the snow belt areas.....

They will not turn your G into a 4 wheel drive, but if you use common sense and a conservative driving style, you will get around better than alot of other cars on the road.....

Attached Thumbnails driving in snow?-winterpicfrt2rev.jpg   driving in snow?-winterpicsiderev.jpg   driving in snow?-winterpictreadrev.jpg  

Last edited by GR8TG35; 07-06-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
Thats not really true......I purchased 17" rims with Dunlop M3 snow sport tires last july. I had no problems driving in inclement weather with the exception of one major storm, and I didn't even attempt to leave the house that day.

Believe me, Snow Tires Are Necessary if you plan to use your G in the snow belt areas.....

They will now turn your G into a 4 wheel drive, but if you use common sense and a conservative driving style, you will get around better than alot of other cars on the road.....
I agree. It will drastically improve driveability but it won't turn your car into a snowmobile... as with anything caution and common sense should be used. I wouldn't expect to be driving at the same speed I usually drive... Probably less then 4 inches of snow is ok if you have snow tires... for anything above, you're better off staying home...

Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Everybody saying 17' - would I still get the same reliability in the snow with 18'? I have the 19' too, and they're a pain, but they look cool. The coupe looks better with bigger rims, it's just that 19' do not give you much of a choice of tires.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Russ has got it...I picked up 17" wheels with M3's from tirerack last fall and had no problems here in Chicago. You probably want to put them on around Thanksgiving and leave them on until the beginning of April.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Where did you change the tires? and where do you store your 19's?

I got 19s so I wanna know what to do with my 19s when I get 17's

Old 07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RealFadil
Everybody saying 17' - would I still get the same reliability in the snow with 18'? I have the 19' too, and they're a pain, but they look cool. The coupe looks better with bigger rims, it's just that 19' do not give you much of a choice of tires.
!8" snows are available, but usually cost you more, and if you have an 05', you will need rims also, which will cost more than the 17's.

The idea with snows is to have a taller tire and a narrower tread width. This will enable you to achieve maximum traction in snow and ice.

That is why I went with 225X55X17's for my car. They maintain the same rear diameter as my 18" Pilot sports, and is still within 3% of the fronts.....I had no issues with the VDC/ABS systems, and it allows me to rotate the tires front to back each year for a little longer tread life....

As far as changing them out, I purchased a low profile jack from SEARS. It fits under the car no problem, and is good for 3,000 lbs. You can find them cheaper at Harbor Freight, But I stuck with the SEARS jack. Makes changing out the tires or headlight/fog bulbs a piece or cake.

Attached Thumbnails driving in snow?-carjackpicclearrev.jpg   driving in snow?-winterpicflrjackrev.jpg  
Old 07-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Booooz
Not true at all.

Get a decent pair of 17" snow tires and a set of wheels (I recommend the ASA JH3's) from tirerack.com and you should be able to get around just fine.

I drove around in my G just fine this winter....and that includes the worst New England blizzard I've seen!

Attached Thumbnails driving in snow?-snow.jpg  

Last edited by madchef; 07-06-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 AM
thanks for the help everyone now just to get my parents to go get me some tires...and rims...hopefully they will unless they want to drive me to school every morning lol...
sue cho

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by GR8TG35

As far as changing them out, I purchased a low profile jack from SEARS. It fits under the car no problem, and is good for 3,000 lbs. You can find them cheaper at Harbor Freight, But I stuck with the SEARS jack. Makes changing out the tires or headlight/fog bulbs a piece or cake.
with that profile jack, don't you also need jack stands?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: driving in snow?