G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Learn How to Drive Stick Just to get a 6MT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learn How to Drive Stick Just to get a 6MT?

I just put down a pre-order for a new 2004 g35c. At the moment and at the urging of my parents (i'm 21), they advised me to get the 5AT.

I grew up and learned on automatic cars, I have seen both my parents drive standard, and I know how it works, how to do it, but never have actually done it.

I won't be in areas of heavy traffic and the car will be used as a primary vehicle, but probably not daily.

Should I learn how to drive Standard on a friends car or something and change the order to a 6MT or should i play it safe and keep my order for the 5AT.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:58 PM
G SQUAD
Re: Learn How to Drive Stick Just to get a 6MT?

Never owned a manual transmission or drove one before? Only watched people do it? GET IT! Its an easy car to learn on and you'll have tons of fun. You'll regret it in 5 years from now when you look back and pussied out because you wanted to be "safe." (FYI - I'm not saying that 5at drivers are pussies, well, unless you got the auto to be "safe!")

2003.5 - G35 6spd - Diamond Graphite/Graphite leather, prem, aero package/kit

Old 06-17-2003, 04:01 PM

Try to find a friend that has a MT car (preferably a Honda, pretty easy to learn with) and just practice then it will become second nature to you and be a lot easier to drive the G35C MT. It’ll probably be harder to learn with the G35C MT cuz it has that drive-by-wire thing.

Old 06-17-2003, 04:03 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

lol actually its real tough to learn on the g35, its one of the harder cars to learn to drive stick on.

your better off learning on a friend's though. Order a 6MT and by the time it comes here, im sure you will know how to drive a stick by then (thru friend's cars)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-17-2003, 04:11 PM

I was around your age and in your position when I orderd '00 firebird formula...I could've had a 6-speed factory hurt shifter and instead I took the safe route and got the 4-speed auto. To this day I still regret it. Constantly it goes like this: "v8?", "yes", "cool, standard?", "no", "oh".
My father took me out with his 5-speed subaru last sunday when he heard I orderd a 6-speed g35. It took me ten minutes to get the hang of it and by the time an hour went by I had gone up on the highway, downshifted into turns, taken a left from a busy road, and gone into first while on a hill (that one is hard). Only stalled out twice. All you need is a good teacher that can explain what you need to do...it's really not that hard! And I drove the g35's "manumatic"...it's fun but nothing like a real stick shift.
ps-manual trans even made my father's 4 cylendar outback fun!

Old 06-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Re: Learn How to Drive Stick Just to get a 6MT? *DELETED*

Post deleted by merlin

Old 06-17-2003, 04:25 PM

why ppl have to post twice??? im reading the same thing 2x :-P

Old 06-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

it's just because some people click the "add post" thing twice so it posts it 2 times. Probably because they have a slower connection...

anyway, I learned the basics on a early 90's Isuzu Rodeo. In between then and getting my 6MT coupe, I practiced on a Lexus IS300 at the dealership. That car is really really easy to drive manual.

The G35 is definately the hardest to get "used to." It'd be best to practice on a friends car. My one big advice thing is if you're unsure about driving manual when you take delivery, then have your dealer drive the car home or have a parent/friend do it. Then just practice in your driveway/neighborhood before you go out on any real streets.

Anyway If you think you want the 6MT, get it. You'll be kicking yourself if you chose the 5AT later on. You'll get that "buyer's remorse" every time you see a pos civic going through the gears and wondering what it's like. As long as you don't live in a hilly area and there isn't an extreme amount of traffic, the 6MT is the way to go.

6MT Coupe black/graphite premium aero

Old 06-17-2003, 05:04 PM

and if I do get it in the 6MT, whats the chance of me messing up the transmission?

Old 06-17-2003, 05:23 PM

GET THE 6MT! Don't make a mistake like mine and get the 5AT because you are convinced that it's cool w/ the manual mode. It's really not the same as standard. I've never owned a manual tranny vehicle before but I learned driving an MT on friends' car's.

-Blk/Blk G35c

Old 06-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably not much if you are careful and learn the ropes first on something else. worst you would probably do is wear out the clutch faster than normal. Really the only way you can ruin it is by down shifting when your at high rpms. Heck, its under warranty. Just learn on another manual car while your waiting for yours. Everyone who drives should know how to drive a standard transmission, never know when your gonna need it!

6MT red/willow, premium, aero

Old 06-17-2003, 05:24 PM

With all these tranny recalls you might be able to screw it up and get a new one for free [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 06-17-2003, 06:12 PM

If you're stuck deciding between the two, go with the manual. Unless you have a lot of stop-and-go traffic around you...but then if it were me I'd still get a manual.

Old 06-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GET THE 6MT! You'll love it more and you'll feel the road more. Plus it has gold BREMBOs to boot!

- Don't argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.=P-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Learn How to Drive Stick Just to get a 6MT?