G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speed Traps? What are these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Traps? What are these?

I live in MD and I see a lot of these damn things sprouting up around here. They seem to be two thin wires that stretch the length of the road and they go into the ground on both sides. THe two wires are about 2 feet apart from each other and run parrallel. They both are black and when you drive over them they seem like there mini speed bumps, Whenever i drive over them im kinda scared that a cop is gonna be 1/4 mile away waiting for me to come. Ive seen them on spots where I commonly speed, so im assuming these are spots where everyone speeds? Anyone know what Im talking about? If you do can you tell me how these things work/ Thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
They are used to measure how much traffic flows on that certain road in a given period of time. They are not speed traps.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 PM
They are just for counting cars. The tubes are connected to a box that just counts when a car runs over the black tube. Remember the tube you used to drive over at the gas station that rang a bell to let them know a car was there? Same thing.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, its either for statistical data for that city, or to contemplate setting up Stop signs/Stop lights in the area...

Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by hdogdad
They are just for counting cars. The tubes are connected to a box that just counts when a car runs over the black tube. Remember the tube you used to drive over at the gas station that rang a bell to let them know a car was there? Same thing.
Boy are you dating yourself! Bet you still call it a SERVICE station.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A speed trap is a cop sitting in a area waiting for cars to come by above the speed limit....

Old 07-14-2005, 03:02 PM
yes it is for statistical data, no worries

Old 07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Boy are you dating yourself! Bet you still call it a SERVICE station.
Yeh, speed traps used to look like that......way back when....now they're just traffic counters.

Just like you used to get SERVICE at a gas station....Times have changed.
C.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Here in P.A. I know for a fact that 2 white lines about 25-30 yards apart are usually speed traps that the trooper or cop aims that radar in between those lines and your caught. I drive for a living and was told by our General manager that if you cross a white line and another one ahead it's a trap. Next time you pass 2 white line's on a highway or rte look around and you'll see them pigs sittin there.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedls
Here in P.A. I know for a fact that 2 white lines about 25-30 yards apart are usually speed traps that the trooper or cop aims that radar in between those lines and your caught. I drive for a living and was told by our General manager that if you cross a white line and another one ahead it's a trap. Next time you pass 2 white line's on a highway or rte look around and you'll see them pigs sittin there.
i used to pass those all the time and thought maybe they were speed traps. but i've never seen a cop anywhere near any of those things.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I love bacon but I hate cops!

Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
the white lines are timing strips. leo starts the ticker when you pass the first line and stops it when you get to the second line and then determines your average speed over the given distance (between the two lines).

Here in California:

Speed Trap Prohibition

40801. No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

Speed Traps

40802. (a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:

(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

(2) A particular section of a highway with a prima facie speed limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3, if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within five years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects. This paragraph does not apply to a local street, road, or school zone.

(b) (1) For purposes of this section, a local street or road is defined by the latest functional usage and federal-aid system maps submitted to the federal Highway Administration, except that when these maps have not been submitted, or when the street or road is not shown on the maps, a "local street or road" means a street or road that primarily provides access to abutting residential property and meets the following three conditions:

(A) Roadway width of not more than 40 feet.

(B) Not more than one-half of a mile of uninterrupted length. Interruptions shall include official traffic control signals as defined in Section 445.

(C) Not more than one traffic lane in each direction.

(2) For purposes of this section "school zone" means that area approaching or passing a school building or the grounds thereof that is contiguous to a highway and on which is posted a standard "SCHOOL" warning sign, while children are going to or leaving the school either during school hours or during the noon recess period. "School zone" also includes the area approaching or passing any school grounds that are not separated from the highway by a fence, gate, or other physical barrier while the grounds are in use by children if that highway is posted with a standard "SCHOOL" warning sign.

(c) (1) When all of the following criteria are met, paragraph (2) of this subdivision shall be applicable and subdivision (a) shall not be applicable:

(A) When radar is used, the arresting officer has successfully completed a radar operator course of not less than 24 hours on the use of police traffic radar, and the course was approved and certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

(B) When laser or any other electronic device is used to measure the speed of moving objects, the arresting officer has successfully completed the training required in subparagraph (A) and an additional training course of not less than two hours approved and certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

(C) (i) The prosecution proved that the arresting officer complied with subparagraphs (A) and (B) and that an engineering and traffic survey has been conducted in accordance with subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2). The prosecution proved that, prior to the officer issuing the notice to appear, the arresting officer established that the radar, laser, or other electronic device conformed to the requirements of subparagraph (D).

(ii) The prosecution proved the speed of the accused was unsafe for the conditions present at the time of alleged violation unless the citation was for a violation of Section 22349, 22356, or 22406.

(D) The radar, laser, or other electronic device used to measure the speed of the accused meets or exceeds the minimal operational standards of the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration, and has been calibrated within the three years prior to the date of the alleged violation by an independent certified laser or radar repair and testing or calibration facility.

(2) A "speed trap" is either of the following:

(A) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

(B) (i) A particular section of a highway or state highway with a prima facie speed limit that is provided by this code or by local ordinance under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 22352, or established under Section 22354, 22357, 22358, or 22358.3, if that prima facie speed limit is not justified by an engineering and traffic survey conducted within one of the following time periods, prior to the date of the alleged violation, and enforcement of the speed limit involves the use of radar or any other electronic device that measures the speed of moving objects:

(I) Except as specified in subclause (II), seven years.

(II) If an engineering and traffic survey was conducted more than seven years prior to the date of the alleged violation, and a registered engineer evaluates the section of the highway and determines that no significant changes in roadway or traffic conditions have occurred, including, but not limited to, changes in adjoining property or land use, roadway width, or traffic volume, 10 years.

(ii) This subparagraph does not apply to a local street, road, or school zone.