G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pics of SAT Antenna?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of SAT Antenna?

Does anyone have close-ups pics of the dealer's or manufacture's installed SAT radio antenna.

I was just informed by the dealer that the car I special ordered 5 months ago is being delivered with the sat radio system installed. WTF? I realize it's only a $400 option, but I didn't order it and would like to know what it looks like.

I've used the search function but only came up with self-installed systems.
Help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Re: Pics of SAT Antenna?

Here you go, believe it or not this IS factory!!!

License Plate: "BMR BTR"

66096-Mvc-006f.jpg

Old 06-21-2003, 01:43 PM

& another...

License Plate: "BMR BTR"

66097-Mvc-007f.jpg

Old 06-21-2003, 02:05 PM

Hmmmm... couldn't they have made it a little nicer looking? Man. I wanted satellite radio until I saw this...

Banatoman

Old 06-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Don't get discouraged. XM radio is terrific, and you do not have to place an ugly black wart on your beautiful G35. Take a look at this post.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

66115-G35c At GGNRA Thumb.jpg

Old 06-21-2003, 04:54 PM

some dental floss or a business card and a hot day, you can pull that antenna off without damage. I would worry most about moisture under the antenna. we all know what happens with water under a front bra. Our pathfinder had that kind of antenna and I had to remove it to clean under it constantly... I just let the magnets hold it now so its easy to get to..

you might want to consider this, works great.

http://www.adpub.com/tim/g/xm1.jpg

Old 06-22-2003, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the great pics, jtesensky. I was afraid it would look something like that. I can't believe they would do that to that beautiful car.

Now I know I don't want the dealer installed system.

I called the sales manager to ask why it was being installed on my ordered car, he replies that he doesn't know, other than it's hand written on the order form. I told him I didn't want it and asked where is the car right now, and can the sat be stopped? No problem, since it's a port installed option and the car is still at sea, he called the port facility to have the sat system cancelled.

What a relief. Thanks again for the pics. I would like to get the sat system later, but not looking like that.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:34 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, I have the samw antenna and it fits perfectly on the rear deck inside the car. Cant even see it from inside because of hte lip on hte back seat. I would not have that thing on the outside of the car and I really cant believe that Infiniti is sending them out that way. They couldn't have come up with a better way to put a SAT antenna in the car. It seems to me that they figured it out with the GPS. All I can say Is I'm glad I installed mine on my own.

Old 06-22-2003, 11:10 PM

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words but the sat. antenna picture prompted only one, yuck! I sent in a cancel for my XM option. To me, it takes away from the clean line and for me, on IP. Guess I'll be going with an after market and a Terk. Thanks for posting. ...dean

Seattle 'Eastside' area
'R' Order - IP/Graphite 6MT Coupe; Prem. & Nav. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 11:46 PM

I agree that the satellite antenna is ugly, BUT, instead of everyone cancelling the dealer orders, why don't you see if the dealer wouldl be willing to move the antenna inside the car on the rear deck? It shouldn't be very hard, and most people on FA (EXCEPT those who got metallic tint) have been quite pleased with this setup. In fact, it's the setup I'm planning on going with.

If you go with an aftermarket system, I believe it'll have to be FM modulated, and that won't sound near as good as it would piped into the system directly.

I'm not sure if you can get a system compatible with our cars aftermarket - the wiring for the receiver might be specific to dealer installs (in fact I think it is, but I'm not 100% positive). You could, however, change to any type of XM or Sirius compatible antenna you like as another option.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:41 AM

That antenna is the Trek xm antenna...the same one I have on my current car, a 2000 firebird formula. When car came back from the installer and I saw the "black plastic frog" sitting on the car I was horrified. But believe it or not you get used to it. It draws comments from people not familiar with the technology too.

Here's why they put it there and not inside. According the trek installation instructions the antenna should be 5 inches from the rear edge of the roof, asuming the roof is metal. That's because the roof is the highest flat metal point. For a convertable it is acceptable to be on the metal decklid. With the trek antenna the metal of the roof becomes part of the antenna. Infiniti is just following the maufacterer's instructions...and if you want to minimize dropouts the factory location is probably the best spot.
The fact they use the trek means thier xm system likely has a standard antenna input so you can always go to the store and see if there are any other xm antennas you like better. When I bought my system the trek was the least ugly though...

Old 06-23-2003, 06:32 PM

If you are talking about the pictures of the antenna on the top of the red G35, that is NOT a Trek antenna, but is a Clarion (PAM-100-101). The poster is from Scottsdale Infiniti, and it was from them that I purchased my SAT/XM unit. It comes with the Clarion antenna. I chose to also purchase the TERK XM3 antenna because it has a much lower profile, and was finally installed in the rear break housing light module. Totally stealth.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Ugh. That looks horrid. I believe the hype about satellite radio, but I just can't see paying the monthly fees when I get good local radio, not to mention a 6-disc in-dash CD changer and a CD burner!

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 06-23-2003, 11:51 PM

that antenna couldnt be more Terk SR2. its obviously OEM-ed

Old 06-23-2003, 11:54 PM

thats like saying you dont need cable/sat TV because ABC/NBC/PBS are all you need. If your local radio is *that* good, then you are truly lucky. I've been to almost every major market in the country, I never heard *consistant* quality playlists and the diversity I get every day on sat radio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics of SAT Antenna?