G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine Oil Consumption Test . . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by andy2434
Thanks again, Cru. I just finished reading your referenced thread. I was quite pleased to read that Infiniti did right by you. I trust I will also be afforded a good resolution in my situation. I am not too worried at this point. The staff at Serramonte seems to have their stuff together. I am glad that they are not giving me the same crappy treatment, which Frontier dished out to you at the beginning.
I see by your sig that you anly have a Z-tube/K&N. They shouldn't take issue with that. I have heard very good things about Serramonte Infiniti so you should be in good hands. Just to set the record straight, it was Peninsula Infiniti in Redwood City I had problems with. I have never been to Frontier Infiniti.

Old 07-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im currently having an oil consumption test done right now. My G burns oil like a biatch. my oil filter, drain plug,oil cap and dipstick were all sealed off with silicone so infiniti knows i havnt tampered with the oil. I was givin the car back and told to drive 1000 miles, then they will check all silicone seals and then check oil level. Then i dont know what happens, hopefully a new VQ?...

Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckP
im currently having an oil consumption test done right now. My G burns oil like a biatch. my oil filter, drain plug,oil cap and dipstick were all sealed off with silicone so infiniti knows i havnt tampered with the oil. I was givin the car back and told to drive 1000 miles, then they will check all silicone seals and then check oil level. Then i dont know what happens, hopefully a new VQ?...
Hmmm . . . Chuck, who is performing your consumption test? I am on my first 1000 mile leg, as of this last Thursday afternoon. Serramonte told me that I would be required to complete a total of 3(three) 1000 mile consumption drives. Good luck to you with your test and discovery.

I apologize if I have created any confusion earlier by referring to Frontier Infiniti with regard to Cru's previous issues. As Cru had stated, it was Penninsula Infiniti with whom he had had his issues with and NOT with Frontier Infiniti . . . Sorry.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:13 AM
all these thread about oil levels being low gets me worried!!! better check my oil level tomorrow morning!! i just finished reading cru's thread, (took over an hour :P) and i'm gonna have a couple questions for my dealershup pretty soon...

Old 07-17-2005, 02:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You sure the lube shop put in 5 qts????? If someone else does your change, you'd be wise to double check the level.
It's normal for an engine to use some oil during break-in but in my experience not much. > maybe up to 1 qt. btw changes.
Check your level regularly and top up as needed. If you don't, Nissan will deny warranty.
In the meantime, have any oil changes done at the dealer with OEM parts to make sure you're still covered.
C.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, the lube shop put in 5 qts. They were quite vocal about my G coming in at 1.5 qts. low at only 1600 miles on the odometer . . . And as such, they made sure I was satisfied that my G was leaving with the proper amount of oil. Yes, all future oil changes will be performed by the dealer. I always have an oil change at around 1500 miles on all of my new cars.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Check your level regularly and top up as needed. If you don't, Nissan will deny warranty.
Not necessarily true. I agree you should check your oil level regularly, but just because you don't doesn't mean your warranty will be denied.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, I believe that the checking of the vital fluids, including the engine oil, from time to time is a prudent idea to protect our cars. However, if that particular said car consumes an unusual amount of engine oil, I can only surmise that there is obviously something inherently wrong with that engine.

Question . . . If your G consumed 1.5 qts. of engine oil in the first 1600 miles of its life wouldn't you be a bit concerned? Furthermore, after an oil change at 1600 miles, it consumes another 3 qts. of engine oil and the engine's valve train starts to make a loud rattling noise after another some 1800 miles . . . Is that reason for concern?

How would the routine checking of the engine oil prevent a potential defect in the engine? Actually, If there is a major defect in my G's engine, I am glad that I had changed the oil early on and did not check the said and continue to fill it up. Otherwise I think I would have never realized that there might be a serious oil consumption issue with my engine, as my dealership may believe there is.

In any event . . . Yes, check your oil from time to time . . . But no, not checking the engine oil level should not affect the warranty, if the car has an inherent problem, which would predispose it to some sort of failure, in a manner of speaking . . . It only goes to reason.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 PM
I have the same problem with my 05. It was making a loud knocking sound and the oil pressure light flickered a few times. They dealer said they put 3 quarts of oil in. Found NO leaks/drips. I have to go back in a few hundred miles for a check up.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
my Honda Prelude use to go thru allot of oil even off the bat...

Old 07-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Sedan
In any event . . . Yes, check your oil from time to time . . . But no, not checking the engine oil level should not affect the warranty, if the car has an inherent problem, which would predispose it to some sort of failure, in a manner of speaking . . . It only goes to reason.
When I went through my ordeal with excessive oil consumption/engine failure. They never once asked me if I checked my oil level and it was never an issue. What was an issue were my CAI and exhaust. Well, they tried to make them an issue, but it didn't fly.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:08 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Not necessarily true. I agree you should check your oil level regularly, but just because you don't doesn't mean your warranty will be denied.
Not necessarily but possible. True I should have said 'may' instead of 'will', but there is a certain amount of responsibility on the owner to check levels as often as needed so as not to do further damage. (at least until the real issue is rectified).

BTW, this isn't my idea, I'm only reflecting what Q45Tech has said on more than one occasion, and what is stated in our warranty books.

Colin.

Last edited by Msedanman; 07-17-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:16 PM
O.F. Administrator
Yes, I believe that the checking of the vital fluids, including the engine oil, from time to time is a prudent idea to protect our cars. However, if that particular said car consumes an unusual amount of engine oil, I can only surmise that there is obviously something inherently wrong with that engine.

Question . . . If your G consumed 1.5 qts. of engine oil in the first 1600 miles of its life wouldn't you be a bit concerned? Furthermore, after an oil change at 1600 miles, it consumes another 3 qts. of engine oil and the engine's valve train starts to make a loud rattling noise after another some 1800 miles . . . Is that reason for concern?

How would the routine checking of the engine oil prevent a potential defect in the engine? Actually, If there is a major defect in my G's engine, I am glad that I had changed the oil early on and did not check the said and continue to fill it up. Otherwise I think I would have never realized that there might be a serious oil consumption issue with my engine, as my dealership may believe there is.

Of course I'd be concerned, and a little p'd off too. One would have to be a moron not to be so. My point b4 was that a certain amount of responsibility is on the owner, (check your warranty book to confirm this), and for him to ignore the low oil condition could be grounds for denying warranty.
As I said in my answer to 'Cru, a well respected Nissan Tech named Q45Tech has said this on more than one occasion.

You do as you want, but if it were me, I'd do my part to not make the situation worse, within reason of course.
At the same time, I would expect that the problems causing the excessive consumption to be rectified pretty da*med quickly.

Good luck with your issue.
Colin

Old 07-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Powashiftin
I have the same problem with my 05. It was making a loud knocking sound and the oil pressure light flickered a few times. They dealer said they put 3 quarts of oil in. Found NO leaks/drips. I have to go back in a few hundred miles for a check up.
I trust you will be afforded a good resolve to your issue. It appears that this is not an isolated case, which makes me feel better about my situation. Please keep us posted with regard to your findings when you bring your car back for the oil consumption inspection, as will I. I have another 700 miles prior to my first out of 3 - 1000 mile test.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
You do as you want, but if it were me, I'd do my part to not make the situation worse, within reason of course.
At the same time, I would expect that the problems causing the excessive consumption to be rectified pretty da*med quickly.

Good luck with your issue.
Colin[/QUOTE]

Just so that there are no misunderstandings, Colin. I agree with you with regard to the routine monitoring of the engine oil. However, if the situation does arise, I will not tolerate Infiniti telling me that my lack of attention to the engine oil level of my G within the its first 1600 miles was the cause, of what I expect to be an inherent defect of sorts, of any damage caused by me.

As I continue to check the oil level prior to my first 1000 mile test return, if there does appear to be any excessive oil consumption, I will not put more engine oil into the car . . . But call Infiniti and return the car for further inspection. I was told to be sure to bring my car back within 1000 miles, plus or minus a few miles.

Another owner had forgotten to do the same and had, what I was lead to believe, ruined his/her's engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Consumption Test . . . .