G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine Oil Consumption Test . . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine Oil Consumption Test . . . .

Has anyone ever heard of this or had it performed on their G? My G is a '05 6MT Coupe with 3440 miles on it. At 1600 miles I had the oil changed at a local quick oil change shop. At the particular time I was told that my G was about 1.5 quarts low on oil. They drained what was left of the old oil and put 5 fresh quarts of 5W30 and a new oil filter in my G.

I called my service consultant and relayed what had happened that previous day. I was told not to worry about it. I was told that during the break-in period, new cars tend to burn a bit of oil . . . 1.5 quarts?

In any event, Tuesday morning, of this week as I started my car to go to work . . . I noticed a loud rattling sound. It rattled during idle and under light throttle. It stopped after some 5 minutes and to be quite honest, I did not give it a second thought.

Yesterday, Wednesday morning, the same rattling noise occurred during the initial warm up period. This time I am alarmed with all of this chatter. I call my service consultant at Infiniti and I am asked to bring the G in for an inspection. I dropped the car off yesterday afternoon for the rattling noise and to have a faulty fuel tank shutter valve replaced per a recently issued Technical Service Bulletin.

This late afternoon, Thursday, I went to pick up my G. Upon arriving, my service consultant tells me the following, as per the work order sheet . . . Kept vehicle overnight . . . started engine & noticed slight rattle noise . . . from engine's valve train . . . containered & measured, found 2(TWO!!!!!) qt of oil at container . . . also noticed vehicle had non-oem oil installed due to previous oil change done before . . . recommend client come back at 4,400 mile for oil consumption check.

What the heck? . . . They performed an oil change and I will be required to take the car back at 4,400 and 5,500. He called it an Engine Oil Consumption Test. At the 5,500 mile check if they deem that my G is consumming too much oil, they will call Infiniti for further instructions and a course of action.

Have any of you ever had this experience? The way I understand it now . . . From 17 original miles to 1600 miles, my G consummed 1.5 qts. of oil. Then from 1600 mile to 3440 miles, my G consummed 3 qts. of oil. Do I need to be extra concerned for the state of my engine and its components?

As usual, any and all comments will be more than appreciated. Thank goodness the car is under warranty. My concern is that they will fix the oil consumption issue, leaving my G's engine in less than desirable condition, due to any adverse affects of running the engine with next to no engine oil . . . Help!!!!

Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive heard of some new cars that consume oil, but maybe .5 quart between oil changes (3,000 miles) but there is defindatley something wrong with your car IMO. Like you said you have warranty,so get a loaner and let them worry about it!!

Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by aren21
Ive heard of some new cars that consume oil, but maybe .5 quart between oil changes (3,000 miles) but there is defindatley something wrong with your car IMO. Like you said you have warranty,so get a loaner and let them worry about it!!
Right on, i agree and i suggest you check your oil regularly with dip stick.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Mine ate 2 qts of royal purple with a wix filter. Took it in and they thought it was the filter and told me to buy nissan filters. I actually need to check mine shortly to see if it's still consuming.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Consumption thru a filter? Where can it go, to the other side of the filter?

Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hhg35
Right on, i agree and i suggest you check your oil regularly with dip stick.
Yes, I checked the oil level via the dip stick when I got home. This way I have a reference point. I will be checking the oil level and monitoring the engine's oil consumption. Prior to the 1000 mile return to the dealer for the oil check, I will not add any oil, unless it gets really low . . . At which point, I will notify the dealer.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:52 AM
When I bought my used 03 6mt from the dealer it had the little sticker letting me know when the next oil change was. it was about 3300 miles until my next oil change. So when it came to do the oil change I went to make an appointment but they were booked 11 days out so I decided to change it myself. Well when I went to drain it I kid you not I had less than 1 qt. of oil drain out. I was pissed I don't know if it burned that much oil or if they didn't fill it on the last oil change. So next oil change came up I told them what happened and to check to see if it was low but he said it was fine. I need to check the level more regulary. I live in a apartment so I just hate doing things in the parking lot so I get lazy and never really pop the hood. But I think our cars may burn more than usaul thanks for bringing this up I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by csdstudio
Consumption thru a filter? Where can it go, to the other side of the filter?
Something about the nissan filter is a fabric mesh of some sort (don't quote me) and the wix is paper. Possibly not filtering oil through fast enough allowing some of the oil to become superheated and turn to sludge. Yes, there was some sludge build up found. You guys that are having oil consumption issues should check for sludge as well. I had an engine flush performed. You know, that commercial with the car going down the highway with a boat anchor tied to its rear bumper?

Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Makes sense, but where does sludge settle to, the pan?

Old 07-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Originally Posted by whyjay91
Possibly not filtering oil through fast enough allowing some of the oil to become superheated and turn to sludge.
Possibly? How is the filter not filtering fast enough?

Why don't you get the facts first before you start posting what possibly happened?

Old 07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Harsh.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:38 AM
ZeroGen's time of the month again.

I apologize I couldn't get you and the board members all of the facts. I do my best to provide good insight on what I know. Here's the reasoning on the 'possibility', which should always help conjure additional response and thought (well, aside from yours ) If an oil pump is pumping at a certain rate for the design of your vehicle and the filter you have is too restricted for what was originally engineered (expected) then perhaps the pump and/or flow could slow to the point where this hot vq35 could break the oil down prematurely.

Well, that was just one perspective. The dealers, as everyone knows, tend to throw us half-truths in their benefit (well, most of them).

I'm assuming ZeroGen posted his frustration looking for additional information. I hope this explained some of it.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by andy2434
Has anyone ever heard of this or had it performed on their G? My G is a '05 6MT Coupe with 3440 miles on it. At 1600 miles I had the oil changed at a local quick oil change shop. At the particular time I was told that my G was about 1.5 quarts low on oil. They drained what was left of the old oil and put 5 fresh quarts of 5W30 and a new oil filter in my G.

I called my service consultant and relayed what had happened that previous day. I was told not to worry about it. I was told that during the break-in period, new cars tend to burn a bit of oil . . . 1.5 quarts?

In any event, Tuesday morning, of this week as I started my car to go to work . . . I noticed a loud rattling sound. It rattled during idle and under light throttle. It stopped after some 5 minutes and to be quite honest, I did not give it a second thought.

Yesterday, Wednesday morning, the same rattling noise occurred during the initial warm up period. This time I am alarmed with all of this chatter. I call my service consultant at Infiniti and I am asked to bring the G in for an inspection. I dropped the car off yesterday afternoon for the rattling noise and to have a faulty fuel tank shutter valve replaced per a recently issued Technical Service Bulletin.

This late afternoon, Thursday, I went to pick up my G. Upon arriving, my service consultant tells me the following, as per the work order sheet . . . Kept vehicle overnight . . . started engine & noticed slight rattle noise . . . from engine's valve train . . . containered & measured, found 2(TWO!!!!!) qt of oil at container . . . also noticed vehicle had non-oem oil installed due to previous oil change done before . . . recommend client come back at 4,400 mile for oil consumption check.

What the heck? . . . They performed an oil change and I will be required to take the car back at 4,400 and 5,500. He called it an Engine Oil Consumption Test. At the 5,500 mile check if they deem that my G is consumming too much oil, they will call Infiniti for further instructions and a course of action.

Have any of you ever had this experience? The way I understand it now . . . From 17 original miles to 1600 miles, my G consummed 1.5 qts. of oil. Then from 1600 mile to 3440 miles, my G consummed 3 qts. of oil. Do I need to be extra concerned for the state of my engine and its components?

As usual, any and all comments will be more than appreciated. Thank goodness the car is under warranty. My concern is that they will fix the oil consumption issue, leaving my G's engine in less than desirable condition, due to any adverse affects of running the engine with next to no engine oil . . . Help!!!!
Uh oh!!!! This sounds a lot like what happened to me. It's a long thread but it may help.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/32451-help-engine-failure.html

Old 07-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks, Cru . . . Yeah, my brother mentioned your previous thread and told me to check it out. Thanks for saving me the time. I'll check it out.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks again, Cru. I just finished reading your referenced thread. I was quite pleased to read that Infiniti did right by you. I trust I will also be afforded a good resolution in my situation. I am not too worried at this point. The staff at Serramonte seems to have their stuff together. I am glad that they are not giving me the same crappy treatment, which Frontier dished out to you at the beginning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Consumption Test . . . .