G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Test drove a Z06 after the G....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2005 | 11:15 AM
|
Test drove a Z06 after the G....

I've always loved corvettes and especially the Z06 but I never drove the Z06. A local dealer had on and I figured I should give it a try. Here is my conclusion after I test drove a G a week apart from the Z06:

The Z06 is wayyy faster...I don't need to tell you that...I found myself accelerating at low rpms very fast thanks to the torque. I came off a ramp to merge into traffac and found myself going 80....insane.

The interior of the Z06 was not that great and looked pretty worn. The G35 beats the Z06 on every aspect of the Interior except for trunk space and the Heads up display option in the Z06 is cool. I love the luxury feel of the G35 and the thick steering wheel fits my hands better. The seating possition and seats alone are better in the G. All around I liked the interior of the G better!..maybe because it was new....

Style...I like the style of both but the Z looks meaner.

The biggest surprise to me was that the G35 felt MORE fun to drive. I could revv it more and it felt more nimble and agile. I found myself feeling like I was in a "big" car with the Z06. The Z06 handles the corners a lot better on paper but the G35 was more fun to run through the corners.

The Z06 had a short throw shifter installed that had a nice short throw to it. The G35 still had a nicer feel with clutch and shifter.

In the end, It came down to either a 2.5 year old supercar that I would/could possibly get into a lot of trouble with. Or a brand new more reliable sports coupe WITH warranty for 4/6 years. Both cars would run the same price and the G35 would also be more practical with the "emergency" rear seats. Also, the G35 will come with free maintenance for 30k miles...oil changes and services....

It does suck that insurrance on the G is more than the Z06 for me..

Decisions...decisions....

Last edited by brn2drive; 07-16-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2005 | 12:54 PM
|
has anyone else driven the Z06? or considered one?

Old 07-16-2005 | 01:00 PM
Why is one comparing a GM sportscar with a Nissan GT coupe?

uhhhhhhh..duuhhhhhhhhhhh...

Old 07-16-2005 | 01:00 PM
Well, I have a C5 Vette. You can't compare a Corvette to a G35 in any aspect. At ALL. The vette handles better, but I think the G feels more nimble for some reason. While the vette can outhandle it, it still feels like a hog while doing it.

And by the way, the G35 has more trunk space. You have to fold back the back seats, but the vette does have a spacious trunk for what it is.

Old 07-16-2005 | 01:42 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
I drove in a Z06 this past week and the G felt like a civic power-wise after that. It can get scary fast once you step on it. The reason why the Z06 feels bigger and not as nimble is because of the big hood and the very low seat position. My G looks HUGE in comparison parked next to a Vette, not to mention it's about 300lbs heavier.

I agree about the seats, steering wheel and overall interior, the G wins hands down. The Bose stereo in the Z06 sounds a ton better than the G.. and it actually had bass.

Another thing to consider: the LS6 engine is pretty mod-friendly, the VQ isn't. I've heard that the only thing Vettes need maintenance wise is oil changes and new tires and that gas mileage is pretty good actually...

I'm yet to drive a Vette/Z06 but I love the styling of the car. The power more than makes up for the mediocre interior. There is a member on here who has both cars (Z06ified), search for his posts and put "Z06" as the keyword. You should come up with plenty of threads in which he compares the G and the Z06.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:13 PM
|
Originally Posted by kenchan
Why is one comparing a GM sportscar with a Nissan GT coupe?

uhhhhhhh..duuhhhhhhhhhhh...

why not? But thanks for the insight...

Finiti, Thanks...I found a few posts where he has compared his car to the G.

I guess I need to decide if I want raw power in my daily driver or something more comefortable. I also don't really like used cars...so I'll probably still end up buying the G35.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:43 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
The Z06 is actually pretty comfortable for daily driving, it takes a little time to get used to. I was the same way with the G at first. Honestly, I'm glad I wasn't looking at Z06's when I was buying a car, otherwise it would have been the toughest choice between a G, M3 or Z06. I love both cars, but I know a guy with a Z06 and to everybody he will always be the guy with the 12-second car and I'll be the girl with the cute little G. The Z06 demands a lot more respect everywhere you go, if you care about that. I'm gonna go drive a Vette and I'll report back haha.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
The insurance on the Z06 is more than the coupe.?????

C.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:55 PM
But who buys a G35 for its power? If you want power, get a RX-7.

Old 07-16-2005 | 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
I drove in a Z06 this past week and the G felt like a civic power-wise after that. It can get scary fast once you step on it. The reason why the Z06 feels bigger and not as nimble is because of the big hood and the very low seat position. My G looks HUGE in comparison parked next to a Vette, not to mention it's about 300lbs heavier.
Exactly why. The seat is extremely low, and the gigantic hood from your view makes you feel like you are driving a boat.. I still love it, but I can't say the comfort level is anywhere near the G. Sure, its comfortable but after long hour trips in it, my back can hurt a little.. I drove the G for almost 4 hours straight, and I was still very comfortable. The interior in the vette is awful. I'm mainly talking about the quality of it too. Granted, I have 55,000 miles on mine, but there is no excuse for how much is rattling and falling apart.

(dont mind the front plate, I believe it was the day before inspection when I took these or something)

Old 07-16-2005 | 03:42 PM
|
Wow i've never seen a side by side pic of the vette and a G35 before. The G35 does look rather large...lol.

That was the biggest problem I had with the vette was the quality of the interior for a 2.5 year old car that was selling for 35K. The drivers seat looked badly worn and the buttons for the radio and everything else were not that great. I'm sure I could have gotten use to the driving position.

Last edited by brn2drive; 07-16-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2005 | 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by negative
But who buys a G35 for its power? If you want power, get a RX-7.

RX-7?!! those are like electric shavers vs Z06's. hahaha.

Old 07-16-2005 | 03:49 PM
|
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
The insurance on the Z06 is more than the coupe.?????

C.

It's dependant on your area and also the fact that most vette drivers are much older than the average G owner. I am looking at $300 more a year for the G.

Old 07-16-2005 | 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
RX-7?!! those are like electric shavers vs Z06's. hahaha.
But which car looks cooler? American's do not know how to design sports cars.

Old 07-16-2005 | 06:26 PM
I drove in the G35C for 11 hours straight with a couple of rest stops~ I don't think I've ever sat in more comfortable seats before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Z06 after the G....