G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is the VW GTI that fast or am I a bad driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vstypicals
The GTI/Jetta 1.8T can easily reach ~210hp/240tq with a $500 chip.

^^^ A chip is so easy to do in the 1.8T's that may have been all he had and he would have kept up. I wouldn't sweat it though, his windows will fall in, ignition coils will burn, alarm will go off randomly, stereo will fail, rear mirrors will fall off, clutch will die every 6k miles and then he will drive his car off a cliff.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From having a GTI before the G, I can say I could pretty much tage my G from the line, now for how long, god knows but those things are light and for the power they have, they are speedy, but by no means are they better cars then the G, stop racing it's dangerous...

Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Any un-modded VR6's are dogs. No problem. Would worry more about a G6 than one of those.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I raced a R32 from a 70 mph roll and walked him pretty easily. They're alot heavier than the GTI though. Basically the R32 weighs 3400 lbs. If it could shave 500 lbs, it would definitely walk a G35. I can see a GTI with that kind of power giving a coupe a run.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by picus112
^^^ A chip is so easy to do in the 1.8T's that may have been all he had and he would have kept up. I wouldn't sweat it though, his windows will fall in, ignition coils will burn, alarm will go off randomly, stereo will fail, rear mirrors will fall off, clutch will die every 6k miles and then he will drive his car off a cliff.

Have you ever owned one??? I've had 4 VW's in the past and none of them gave me no problem. Of course they no comparison with the G but they are not bad cars either. They look very good modded in my opnion.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by picus112

For a second there, I really thought your were speaking about the G35...

Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by SickG35
Have you ever owned one??? I've had 4 VW's in the past and none of them gave me no problem. Of course they no comparison with the G but they are not bad cars either. They look very good modded in my opnion.
I owned one and I must say....."What a POS that F^cking car was." My friend at work has one, he can't wait to pay off that POS because of all the problems. My Jetta was a fun car, but I never ever had so many problems with a car in my life. I took a big sigh of relief when I sold it. A few of the problems I had fixed, a new transmission, and engine with around 50,000 miles on the car. He posted all the problem on his decals and in depth on his website that he had with his 6/month to one year old touareg.

I did also have problems with the stereo and the alarm and this and that and then I would fix this and then that would go wrong.

Not to mention, they are one of the worst rated cars in Consumer Reports, and have some of the most reported problems by owners in Consumer Reports. Same goes for their superior Audi line of cars. They may look good on the outside and some are very fast, but I will never buy one of their products.

I wish I could remember the website, but I can't of this Touareg I saw while visiting Mt. Rainier. I was admiring the looks of it and then went to the rear window. The driver had put decals on the rig that basically said. My Touareg is a POS, lemon, blah blah blah. He had a website posted on his decals that was like my postouareg.com. A website he created himself to bash his car. I wish I could remember the website, it was pretty funny.

Anyhow. I know of myself and several others who have had the same or several problems.

Last edited by realgone; 07-21-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SickG35
I've owned two, a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T and a 2003 GTI 1.8T. The day I sold the GTI I drank an entire bottle of wine I was so happy to be rid of VW. If you want me to go into the details on why they are some of the least reliable, gremlin filled cars on the road, I will PM you. Needless to say the first was determined to be a lemon after 9 months, that's when I got the second. It was no better. Everything I mentioned above (aside from the cliff) happened to the first car, and more. I will say this - they were both fun cars to drive, but between them I put on a *total* of 12,500 in 3 years and I kid you not, they were at the dealer for repairs at least 20 times between the two.

MKIII are solid cars, MKIV are not.

Last edited by Picus; 07-21-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:15 PM
My girlfriend has a stock R32 and we race once and a while just for kicks. All I have is the Z tube and she is able to keep a car back from me.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Gotta watch those vw guys, many gear heads (true performance enthusiasts), just like the subie guys. Never know what they have done.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by SloG35
Gotta watch those vw guys, many gear heads (true performance enthusiasts), just like the subie guys. Never know what they have done.
hm I wonder what porsche onwner think about us or ferrari owners.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
porsche, audi, lambo, skoda .. now it is all owned by VW ....
My previous car was a modded VW MkIII and it was a very reliable car. I have nothing but good experience with it.

To be on topic: I also had a run in my G against MKIV Jetta 1.8T and was surprized how close it was

Old 07-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Actually....Porsche is not owned by VW. They still are an independent company. Part of the reason for this is that cars are only part of their revenue stream.....the other part is their engineering and design group that hires itself out as consultants to other car companies. In the past Porsche has worked closely with VW on projects and even share platform designs with VW (Touareg and Cayenne share core designs but have few parts in common) but that is the extent of their relationship. Porsche is still independently owned.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt be messing around with any r32's a buddy of mine has a debadged r32 with 370 to the wheels awd its a nasty little sucker and looks pretty stock from a distance. Its ok though because since 01-02 vw has gone down the ****te quality wise, so dont feed bad that you didnt blow him out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the VW GTI that fast or am I a bad driver?