G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6mt ok for Chicago?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tabula, I think that in Illinois car sales tax is based on where you live not where you buy. Pretty sure anyhow (doh, much tired).

Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by peet
Tabula, I think that in Illinois car sales tax is based on where you live not where you buy. Pretty sure anyhow (doh, much tired).
Yes, that's right. I bought from Chicago but registered in Rockford (cheaper) since during the week I live w/ my aunt in Rockford because of work.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I picked up my G in early June. Flew to Ohio as Fletcher Jones, Lisle, Fields, etc... couldn't find the car and didn't want to do a tad over invoice as I wanted a DG / G 6MT loaded. I have 19's and am a tad worried come the winter as I'm in the city. I suppose we'll see and if worst comes to worst I'll just use CTA the day it snows.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but... I need advice from Chicago area drivers regarding snow tires/packages. I have stock 18's. Can you tell me what your winter setups are? Tire Rack online (I should probably just call) is not very helpful as only one tire is showing up. I am willing to go with a 17" package, but even that has very limited results on Tire Rack.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Im not driving my G in the winter here in Chicago.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:29 PM
i just bought one and intend to drive it around during the winter with the 19's on.

as long as there's no snow on the ground, there's nothing to worry about at all.

How much have you guys spent on snow tires though?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Atooraya
i just bought one and intend to drive it around during the winter with the 19's on.

as long as there's no snow on the ground, there's nothing to worry about at all.

How much have you guys spent on snow tires though?
I would advise against it. I bought mine with the 18s last January. Thankfully, we had no real snow after that. However, we did have some snow. With 1/2 inch of snow on the ground, the car is HORRIBLE with the summer tires. Don't take the chance. If you go out with it and it snows, you are toast. Trust me. Also, you want to get the snow tires early rather than late. When I bought my coupe, no one had any left. I held my breath every day, hoping for no snow or ice.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
I've driven my 5AT in the snow here in Chicago for the past 2 winters. As long as you have a dedicated pair of snow tires (I bought mine from tirerack), you should be good to go. Plus, I'm lowered on Tein S.Techs so I'm even lower. Obviously, don't try and race in the snow just because you have snowtires. You will fishtail but just take it easy.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Cassman
I would advise against it. I bought mine with the 18s last January. Thankfully, we had no real snow after that. However, we did have some snow. With 1/2 inch of snow on the ground, the car is HORRIBLE with the summer tires. Don't take the chance. If you go out with it and it snows, you are toast. Trust me. Also, you want to get the snow tires early rather than late. When I bought my coupe, no one had any left. I held my breath every day, hoping for no snow or ice.
I wouldn't suggest driving on the summer 19's below 35 degrees. I would stay home or take public transportation. The compound of those tires is much much different than snow tires. Invest in some snow tires.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 PM
how much have you guys paid for the snow tires?

Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Question

Hey guys, I posted questions in another thread about winter driving and Chicago

Originally Posted by Jaded
Hi all, new to the forums. I'm in the same dilemma with tires and the upcoming Chicago winters.

If I get 18's with Avon A/S tires (staggered, great reviews on Avon) it would pretty much be the same price as getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's in 19's (nonstaggered 245/40/19, mixed reviews) which would be $1300. I could also get Bridgestone Blizzak LM25's in the 19" tire sizes (staggered) for approximately $1000 but that would mean I'd have to swap tires all the time on the rims and I hear that's not good practice.

I kinda don't want to have 2 sets of rims and tires, more of a hassle to me but concerned about A/S tire performance on the G with Chicago weather. I don't mind driving slow but don't want to be fishtailing everywhere. Problem is, the factory Bridgestones now are shot and even if I got a dedicated winter set, I'd have to buy new set of summer tires eventually which means MORE money. UGH. Which is why I'm seriously considering getting A/S tires instead.

really like to hear your opinions and what setup you have, if any. thanks!
Have any of you driven with A/S tires in snow with the G35C? like peet said, major roads and highways are pretty much clear within 24 hours after snowfall and my commute is all highway so I'm not too concerned. However, I'd really like to save money instead and get A/S for year round instead of 2 sets.

You're all gonna prolly laugh at me for this one, but how bad is it to run winter tires year round? Is it even possible?

Anyone who replies, thanks in advance and I appreciate some constructive replies. Thanks!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, get a cheap beater and a garage! If you don't you'll be freaking out most of the time worrying about getting keyed, vandalized, stolen, pitted from salt, and etc. My G hasn't even seen rain yet. Stays in the garage when the weather looks threatening. Most of the time I drive my truck. I almost have more fun driving the truck because I don't have to worry about a dam thing. Ha!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With only one deeded space in west loop location of Chicago, I can only own 1 car at a time. The G will just have to see some salt, rain, snow, whatever. Part of the reason why I opted for a DG instead of my usual black. Really, its just a piece of metal. U should enjoy it instead of obsessing over it.

For all of those looking for a winter setup: my local infiniti dealership offered me a winter setup for a 6 speed: including snow tires and inifniti base rims for $1400. Seems kinda high, but they said they swap the tires/perform allignments, and store the other set of tires free of cahrge for as long as I own the car. Dunno if this is something my local dealership does or if all inifniti dealerships do. Anyways just an option for thoses that are lazy and don't have extra storage space for another set of tires.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:19 AM
i tried to sell my 2k Honda Accord today and Carmax offered me $6000 for it :ugh:

me and the family have decided to keep the car, let me use it during bad days in the winter, and give it to my younger sister when she turns 16 in 2 years

Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I've got a set of winter rims and tires with 2000 miles on them for sale. I used them in Dayton, OH last winter and they were awesome!! With the exception of the 24" freak snowstorm around Christmas time, I was able to get anywhere I wanted to go. Click on the link in my sig for details and pics of my winter setup for sale. Asking $750 plus s&h. Unless you live in the mountains, this is a much better solution than buying a whole separate vehicle to handle the few heavy snow days. PM me if you are interested...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6mt ok for Chicago?