G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Whats ur opinion on rebadging to Nissan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Whats ur opinion on rebadging to Nissan

Balzac,

I agree with you that it's lame to rebadge your car just for the sake of having the name "skyline." But Nissans are Infiniti. The only reason why your car is called an Infiniti is because of marketing and nothing else. People like you who feel a need for Prestige would not buy a Nissan for this price. If AmericansCanadians would not hesitate to pay 35k + for Nissans, then we would be driving Nissans G35. But since people need a "Prestige factor" in their car, they are called Infiniti. Don't fool yourself by thinking that Infiniti is not Nissans. Think about it. Who do you think the head guy in Infiniti here reports to? He probably reports to some Japanese guy in Japan sitting in the cooperate head quarter of Nissan.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:39 PM

LOL, well according to most people on this thread, I am a stupid, ricey, loser for thinking I drive a Skyline 350GT. That being the case, can the more intelligent, less carbohydrated, winners tell me what the difference is between a Nissan Skyline 350GT and an Infiniti G35?

Old 06-25-2003, 10:34 PM

WHAT CAR IS THIS???

http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_S...otographs.html

hometown.aol.com/v35skylinepnoy
Sactown Cali

Old 06-25-2003, 11:10 PM

It brought a tear to my eye when someone came up to my car and said "Wow, excuse me, but you can only get this car in Japan right?" The Skyline badge makes people notice it even more.

Old 06-26-2003, 12:00 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

if it's so cheap then why'd you buy it? g35c too cheap for you? wow you were driving the mighty "integra" before that. lol you crack me up dude

<hr></blockquote>i was young, foolish, still undergoing "riceboy" growing pains. I"ve since matured, but I understand where you're at, I was once there too. Let me guess, your last mode of transportation was the school bus and mommy and daddy just got you your new "ride"?

Old 06-26-2003, 01:27 AM

why are you people so reluctant to realize your cars just a rebadged nissan.

-moooooo

Old 06-26-2003, 10:32 AM

I personally would not rebadge my G as a Skyline, but it is the same innards. I just don't like seeing a GT-R on a G (or even a regular Skyline) when that isn't the case. That is the same vein as putting an M or AMG label on a BMW or Mercedes. Does anyone have a good comparison of the interior of the Skyline vs the G? I'm curious if they can be configured to be identical. I know you couldn't get the same quality of materials in the US Maxima, Sentra, & Pathfinder as their previous Infiniti coutnerparts (again, not sure about Nissan Japan).

As for Infinitis being rebadged Nissans, I think that isn't 100% true. As a Nissan and Infiniti owner, I must say the real difference between the two cars is the SERVICE you get at the Infiniti dealership versus the Nissan one. It may just be my experience, but service was less than great at 2 Nissan dealerships I have used while Infiniti has been spectacular. I wouldn't pay 60k for a Nissan Cima or 35k for a Skyline just to get the mediocre service from Nissan I have experienced. Some may not consider that a difference in the car, but I think it is part of the whole package. Nissan did come up with Infiniti as the name plate to bring more a prestigious label, but we have the same deal with Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda. Differentiating a brand to create a new market could bring on more sales, especially to a higher market with different demands.

I must say I am happy Nissan/Infiniti has implemented the policy of having the US Infinitis not be any US Nissans. With the I35 and QX4 on their way out (or redesigned depending on the I35), no other Infiniti is the same as a US Nissan. Beforehand, there was the I35/Maxima, QX4/Pathfinder, and G20/Sentra. I'm not sure that Nissan could have such a huge lot of vehicles to sell in the US and not have some tank -- Cedric/Gloria, Skyline, Cima... too many choices! :-) I haven't seen any Q45's with a Cima logo on them here in the US ^__^

I say be proud of your G, but it is an Americanized Skyline. Just leave the GT-R labels off unless you've got the goods <smile>.

!!Jonason!!

Old 06-26-2003, 12:47 PM

We should take a poll - what nationality are the people that are rebadging their cars Skyline?

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded

Old 06-26-2003, 01:29 PM

Your question carries very racist undertones. Although you may argue to the contrary, I contend that it was your intention to call attention to the possibility that “nationality” has something to do with the desire to rebadge one’s G35 into a 350GT, which, I surmise, you already believe.

If this is not the case, and you are simply curious as to the demographics of the individuals participating in this discussion, then I apologize, although I see no reason why one would be so inclined to wonder what “nationality” others belong to without already stereotyping those individuals. Otherwise, I say you are a bigot, and you opinion on this manner is influenced by that fact.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:01 PM

Nationality: American
Ethnicity: Asian(filipino)

hometown.aol.com/v35skylinepnoy
Sactown Cali

Old 06-28-2003, 08:46 AM

Can some one please give me a legit reason to why they dont sell nissan skyline 350gt's in the wonderful U. S. of A.? They never have and you know they would sell like hell if they brought them here. Or any form of skyline for that matter. I have wondered this for a while. Is it emissions or something? MASTERSR6

Old 06-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an ugly thread.

Let's just get down to the bottom of it: we know it's called a Skyline in Japan and sold with a Nissan badge (and a few other small options that aren't available here). So what? That's just a name some suits in Japan (or maybe in France at Renault) decided to stick to this model. What does this car have in common with previous cars that were called "Skyline"? Same engine? No. Same platform? No. Same (or even similar) styling? Hell no. Do our cars have the Atessa AWD system as used on all the Skyline models that the fanboys really care about? No. In truth, they could just as easily have called the Infiniti G35 a Nissan FX Lady-7 Type-S in Japan, and I doubt anybody would have said it's really a Skyline. In fact, I bet alot of Skyline fanboys resent the V35 the same way the Pontiac GTO fans are furious about the 2004 GTO, because there isn't a close enough link between them.

So #1: This car is called a Skyline in Japan solely for market recognition and higher sales. It's even sold a few cars in the US that might not have been bought otherwise, it seems. But in terms of heritage, it's no more a R34 GT-R than it is a G20.

#2: The only reason to re-badge it as a Skyline in the US is to impress the kiddies with Playstations and make them associate it with a car that it has almost NOTHING in common with. And, I mean, if that's important to you, then I guess go for it, but they're probably all home playing video games rather than looking at your car. I'm pretty sure the remaining 98% of the people who look at your car will have higher regard for the Infiniti badges. Not to say that their reactions wouldn't be shallow and unjustified as well, I'm just saying that if you want to try to impress people with chromed plastic emblems, Infiniti is the way to go. You certainly don't need the badges for yourself. You know it's called a friggin' Skyline in Japan, even though it could just as easily be called a Maxima SE Type-R or 350Z LX. Or just take the Skyline letters and rearrange them to spell "Kyle," the lesser known friend of Cedric (Q45) and Gloria (M45).

It's just a name, not a "true" name. Badge it what you will, but calling it an "Infiniti G35" in the US is no more a phoney marketing ploy than calling it a "Nissan Skyline" in Japan. It's a car with a VQ 3.5litre engine on a FM platform that is unlike anything else ever built except the 350Z and FX35. Period.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-29-2003, 04:51 AM

It's funny some people here in the US changes their badges to Nissan, and the folks in Japan changes their's to Infiniti...
Ironic..

http://jp.y42.photos.yahoo.co.jp/bc/...c=ph%26.view=t

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Pearl_G on 06/29/03 01:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-30-2003, 03:19 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Your question carries very racist undertones........Otherwise, I say you are a bigot, and you opinion on this manner is influenced by that fact."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not a bigot at all - I'm a mostly white male (25% Japanese) married to an Chinese woman. I just notice that most people who "rice" their cars tend to be Asian.

I've also noticed, that people who are easily offended in regards to their race are insecure about it in some way.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded

Old 06-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I read somewhere that Toyota is going to start using the Lexus brand in Japan due to its overwhelming success elsewhere. Makes sense. Then people can't call them re-badged Toyotas, even though they'll be the exact same company with the same models. Perhaps "Infiniti of Japan" isn't far behind, and then there will be no more V35 Skylines.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats ur opinion on rebadging to Nissan