G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

91 or 94 octane any huge diff?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 or 94 octane any huge diff?

hey guyz is there a HUGE diff between 91 octane and 94 and i gas up at chevron is that cool

05 6mt brillant silver

Vancouver, Canada

Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bigger chains do take extra steps to provide a quality product, but results may vary depending on the individual station. Given the choice of the two, I'd go for the 94 octane, especially during summer months. The differences might not be huge, but neither is the difference in cost (typically). If it was a domestic, then I'd say forget it, but with Japanese cars it's different. Generally speaking, our highest octane rating is closer to their lowest octane rating, which is why so many imports require Premium-grade fuel.

< EDIT > just noticed you're in Canada. Summer heat probably isn't much of an issue for you. But I have no idea how your fuel qaulity compares to ours. For example, CA premium is **** compared to the premium available here in TX. If you were in CA, I'd say the 94 octane was a no-brainer. If I had it available here, I'd be using it. Our highest is usually between 91 - 93.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 07-27-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jes7
hey guyz is there a HUGE diff between 91 octane and 94 and i gas up at chevron is that cool

05 6mt brillant silver

Vancouver, Canada
Mine ran great on 91, so if the cost is much more for 94, just go for 91.
C.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM
The difference is the ability to resist pre-ignition and, cost.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM
In a recent issue, of either Super Street or Sport Compact Car, they said that using 91 octane in a 350z vs. 93 octane resulted in a 10hp loss. Then there's the whole detonation/overall quality/engine etc etc etc also.

I can't remember the exacting details, but bascially, a 3 octane increase/decrease was particularly significant from what I got out of reading that article.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaduma
In a recent issue, of either Super Street or Sport Compact Car, they said that using 91 octane in a 350z vs. 93 octane resulted in a 10hp loss. Then there's the whole detonation/overall quality/engine etc etc etc also.

I can't remember the exacting details, but bascially, a 3 octane increase/decrease was particularly significant from what I got out of reading that article.
Hmm.. so it's about 3.3 HP per octane rating. Seems like a pretty good upgrade to me.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:04 PM

I think it would be hard to attribute all 10hp to the gasoline even given the same situations. You can run a dyno two times in a row and get different numbers.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 PM
We only have 91 Octane here, If I had 93, I think I'd wet my pants. Your ECU will know the difference, hence the lower HP numbers. It will run with a more aggressive curve with the 93. I have a TS Modified ECU, and I'm supposed to run 92 with it. Wish I could.

Lou

Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Lucky me here in TX.... My car gets nothing but 93!

Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 PM
If you do a little research on the new Honda Accord V6 there is a 10 HP difference between 87 octane and 91 octane.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Understandible question and criticism of my information, no hard fillings, I'm the newbie. I did find one reference article from Sport Compact Car. I'll try to find the other one too, and post it.

Sport Compact Car Nismo 350z article

Here's a snippet from the link. Actually, the most important part regarding this discussion.
The bad news? Only 10 hp on our dyno. Nissan claims 23 hp for all this work, and if you live in Texas, Michigan, or any of the other quickly dwindling Edens where they still sell gasoline, we'd advise you to believe them. That kind of power isn't going to happen on the regurgitated dinosaur excrement the California refineries like to call premium gas. Even in stock form, the 350Z lives its 91-octane life on the knock sensor, and with the ECU retarding timing almost as fast as the NISMO parts increase cylinder filling, there's no power to be had. What NISMO needs for the octane limited is an ECU with a less aggressive timing map, but it doesn't have one at this point.OK, enough crying about our gas. If you live in the land of 91, be prepared to splash in a few gallons of $6.00/gallon 100 octane at every fill-up if you want all those parts to make anything more than noise.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Higher octane fuel has only one beneficial feature - it allows an engine to run at higher temperatures with more advanced ignition timing under higher levels of compression witout detonating / knocking. Higher octane fuel does NOT have more potential energy and will not make an engine perform better unless that engine is knocking. On modern engines with knock sensors, higher octane fuel may make the engine run better if the knock sensors are retarding the ignition timing, which hinders performance. High octane fuel does not burn cleaner, it does not clean your engine, it does not increase horsepower or torque (unless you are experiencing knock), it does not smell better, it does not increase fuel economy (unless you are experiencing knock) and is not better for the environment. If you buy higher octane fuels for any of the above reasons, STOP!

Never run lower octane fuel than is recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer. If Infiniti recommends 91 octane gasoline, this means that the engine has been tuned to perform optimally without detonation on 91 octane fuel. Once you've done some modifications to your engine, the manufacturer's recommended gasoline may no longer suffice. Obviously, if you can hear detonation inside your engine in the form of pinging or "knocking", try a higher octane fuel. You will also need to run a higher grade fuel (93+ octane) if you have a supercharger, turbocharger, or if you have an ignition programmer that advances your ignition timing.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:22 AM
mc2
Originally Posted by Cactus
If you do a little research on the new Honda Accord V6 there is a 10 HP difference between 87 octane and 91 octane.

this is because the car will probably knock so the knock sensor needs to pull back timing a bit to stop the knock.

it's not the gas that is creating the power

Old 07-28-2005, 12:22 AM
mc2
Understandible question and criticism of my information, no hard fillings, I'm the newbie. I did find one reference article from Sport Compact Car. I'll try to find the other one too, and post it.

Sport Compact Car Nismo 350z article

Here's a snippet from the link. Actually, the most important part regarding this discussion.
I just like giving people **** on this subject. Nothing personal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 91 or 94 octane any huge diff?