G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Twin Turbo or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:36 PM
|
Twin Turbo or Supercharger?

Hello All,

Just wondering what your opinions are between the two choices of performance upgrades (Twin Turbo vs. Supercharger) and which one you would choose. If you know/have a parts list and/or a personal optimum configuration for your TT or SC setup, I'd like to hear about it (For example, installing a new a new exhaust system, a new hood to accommodate an SC, etc.). Also, if you know someone that could do a package deal (obtain the parts and do the install) that would be most helpful. An estimate or break-down of the costs for the parts+installation and a contact in Southern California (San Diego?) would be great as well...

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-28-2005 | 02:51 PM
IMO ... If you dont plan on building-up your engine ( bottom end ), go with SC or ST/single-turbo, keep it well under 400rwhp. If you have a 5AT, stay SC kit, has less torque = less stress on tranny. For SC, go with Vortech or Stillen, however Stillen stage 2 currently only one with Carb eo sticker for CA. Vortech will run around $4700, STillen stage 2 around $5000, plus the hood required. Stillen and AValonRacing was offering free hood with purchase. Call Paul at AvalonRacing for either kits. With ST kits, Turbonetics around $4600 including G35 kit, APS ST probably around $5500. Install for the SC or ST should be around 10-12 hrs. anywhere from $750-1000. With ST kits, If you have a true dual exhaust, you'll need to modify it with a reverse y-pipe. IF your in San Diego, PM Chad ( Protocav ), he can install just about anything. IF you prefer a shop to do your install, try SpeedforceRacing ask for Tim. Now if you prefer a TwinTurbo kit, with higher rwhp#'s and torque, you'll be putting more stress on your stock engine. Sooner or later your engine will go. Anthing over 400rhwp is very risky. There are several TT running around 440+ rwhp on stock motor, with a very good tune, it may last for a while, but I would not bet on it. Most of those guys, are planning on building-up their motors anyways, when it does blow-up. So if TT is what you want, best to build-up bottom end ( arias pistons, pauter rods ). 5ATs will need to build-up the tranny, some are going with VB, TC upgrades and tranny cooler, but IMO its just a bandaid. 6MT's upgrade clutch/flywheel. SFR/SSR, APS TT, JWT TT, Greddy will run you at least $7500 for kit, and another $2500+ for install, may or may not include tuning. Now once you test drive a TT, forget the rest, you will be sold on the TT. Just dont jump the gun, make sure yor give it some serious thought. .......... Good luck.

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 07-28-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2005 | 02:57 PM
Id get a Vortech super charger its safer on your engine.

Last edited by lightforce18; 07-28-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2005 | 03:48 PM
WRAH
4700 for a vortech seems high? Polished or satin?

Old 07-28-2005 | 06:46 PM
Becareful, If you do your homework you may find that the vortect witch is a (spelling i know) Cyntrifical blower, just like Turbos. This could create boost lag as late as 3krpms.

Stillen I BELIEVE uses the Twin Screw, (the other one it could be escapes me) but those are the best for Torque/HP at all RPMS

Sorry for the gaps of info, someone else will fill it in im sure.

Old 07-28-2005 | 07:28 PM
depends on your goals and applications. w/o providing more information regarding what your intentions are, it's hard for people to offer you a relevant opinion.

Old 07-28-2005 | 07:30 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
IMO ... If you dont plan on building-up your engine ( bottom end ), go with SC or ST/single-turbo, keep it well under 400rwhp. If you have a 5AT, stay SC kit, has less torque = less stress on tranny. For SC, go with Vortech or Stillen, however Stillen stage 2 currently only one with Carb eo sticker for CA. Vortech will run around $4700, STillen stage 2 around $5000, plus the hood required. Stillen and AValonRacing was offering free hood with purchase. Call Paul at AvalonRacing for either kits. With ST kits, Turbonetics around $4600 including G35 kit, APS ST probably around $5500. Install for the SC or ST should be around 10-12 hrs. anywhere from $750-1000. With ST kits, If you have a true dual exhaust, you'll need to modify it with a reverse y-pipe. IF your in San Diego, PM Chad ( Protocav ), he can install just about anything. IF you prefer a shop to do your install, try SpeedforceRacing ask for Tim. Now if you prefer a TwinTurbo kit, with higher rwhp#'s and torque, you'll be putting more stress on your stock engine. Sooner or later your engine will go. Anthing over 400rhwp is very risky. There are several TT running around 440+ rwhp on stock motor, with a very good tune, it may last for a while, but I would not bet on it. Most of those guys, are planning on building-up their motors anyways, when it does blow-up. So if TT is what you want, best to build-up bottom end ( arias pistons, pauter rods ). 5ATs will need to build-up the tranny, some are going with VB, TC upgrades and tranny cooler, but IMO its just a bandaid. 6MT's upgrade clutch/flywheel. SFR/SSR, APS TT, JWT TT, Greddy will run you at least $7500 for kit, and another $2500+ for install, may or may not include tuning. Now once you test drive a TT, forget the rest, you will be sold on the TT. Just dont jump the gun, make sure yor give it some serious thought. .......... Good luck.
This should be saves for all newb questions about this. Good job!

Old 07-28-2005 | 07:57 PM
|
Thanks. I noticed...

Thanks for all your input. I noticed that most of you that replied to this post have the 5AT models. What sort of performance increases will I expect to see if I install a SC on my '05 6MT (torque/HP)?

Well, here are my intentions... I would like to mainly increase my torque, but some added HP would be great too. I am looking foward to keeping my car for at least 5 years, so I prefer not to overstress my engine. I would like to see better pickup (torque) on the low end. As for racing, I don't think I'll be racing at all. I would like to take some canyon passes, but aren't all wheel drive vehicles better for that?

Any how, just want to reiterate that I would like to see some greater torque at the low end and would like to increase the HP.... and at the same time, if it's possible, to not kill the gas mileage (ie. not less than 17mpg, since I currently get 19-20 mpg now).

Thanks again.

Last edited by RockG; 07-28-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2005 | 08:11 PM
Here is one for you guys....I'm coming from the subie world and had a highly modded wrx...It threw CEL's left and right for the big injectors and the exhaust....etc. Now these kits do they take into account that sort of thing and not throw a cel? Because with highflow cats and a good tune the car should be as enviromentaly friendly as a stock car. And as long as you don't throw a cel you could pass emissions.

And as for the boost lag on the vortech kit....Its not like we are talking a small displacement 4 banger...These motors make some power down low to begin with. It takes a second or two for the boost to build as the crank spins faster and in turn spins the blower drive pulley faster...But still you still have power to begin with and then its like getting shot out of a cannon.

I guess from my background with subies I would go a single turbo setup, again this motor I think can flow enough air into a single hair dryer to still have a great car with terrific throttle response.

lag is such a bad word....These new turbos have great bearings in them and spool so fast that really all you have is a slight decrese in throttle response.

Last edited by jesse370; 07-28-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2005 | 09:16 PM
go w/ vortech if you dont have a huge budget, but i you wanna rebuilt the motor and drop crazy $$$, the go for a TT

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:28 AM
|
From the sounds of it, superchargers seem to be less stressful on your car engine... thus prolonging its life (versus the twin turbo)? hmm.. that single turbo sounds pretty good too...

any particular brands or people at shops that i can talk to, to get an in depth explanation of each of the performance items?

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:54 AM
...to search, or not to search.

Old 07-29-2005 | 07:43 AM
...that is the question.

Old 07-29-2005 | 09:38 AM
if your going single turbo

get the APS kit

Old 07-29-2005 | 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by RockG
From the sounds of it, superchargers seem to be less stressful on your car engine... thus prolonging its life (versus the twin turbo)? hmm.. that single turbo sounds pretty good too...

any particular brands or people at shops that i can talk to, to get an in depth explanation of each of the performance items?

Belt driven Blower or Turbo is not really the question as far as "stress" on the engine. Combustion chamber pressures are what matter. This is affected by boost level, timing, fuel ratios, and incoming air temperatures assuming compression ratio is equal. Engines are damaged by prolonged pre-ignition (pinging) and/or detonation. A well tuned FI setup should never, ever ping or detonate. Modern safeguards such as strategic fuel enrichment and timing retard should effectively protect the engine. Any well-engineered FI kit will have these engine managment functions already included. So, blowers are not "safer" than turbo kits by nature, but they do have different power curves and that is a matter of preference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo or Supercharger?