G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer blames mods and ME! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT TO ME!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2005 | 07:02 AM
Dealers have nothing to do with your warranty, it is between you and Nissan.
Most of the time when they refuse to ask Nissan for warranty reimbursement it is because of two things [the lower hour count on warranty work === Nissan demands and gets a discount compared to customer paid hours] OR they have been denied reimbursement in the past [or got hassled after the fact]..........when the replaced parts were examined by engineers.

UP TO YOU to persuade Nissan to cover their warranty agreement with YOU.

A dealer is a private business, they don't have to accept you as a customer. If they sold you the car they have some implied requirement for the first 12,000 mile adjustment period.

Don't confuse the car selling departments with the car service departments. The Dealers largest SERVICE customer is Nissan, therefore they do what the largest customer tells them to do!

Old 07-30-2005 | 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
This will be an unpopular opinion, but is a circumstance I've encountered in the past.

Car and drivetrain is engineered to handle specific horsepower and torque values.

Modifications increase these values.

Drivetrain breaks down due to increased horsepower & torque.

Modifications caused breakdown.

End of story.

Not always true but it is a legal position that the dealer can stand by if they choose to. In the case I was privy to, the dealer won.

Go to another dealer. Don't waste your time.
Then just remind them that this transmission is used in another Infiniti product with ~340bhp. There's no way possible the exhaust, springs and clear corners added that much hp/tq (unless of course he had JDM badging...)

Old 07-30-2005 | 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by peet
Can someone explain to me why any dealer would want to not do warranty service? With 90%+ of the revenue of a car dealership coming from service, why would a dealer pass up a prime job like a tranny replacement? It's like a license to print money. I don't get it. But no matter what, you need a new stealer.

ta ta.
P
I agree.......How could they pass up warranty work? Any reputable dealership would honor warranty work as a normal way of business. My dealer jumps thru hoops to accomodate me. I've had my driver seat cushion and leather bottom replaced because I was unhappy with the excessive wrinkling. I just don't get some dealers. Maybe they put in too many claims, and Nissan/Infiniti is watching them. Either way, its not your fault. Go to another dealer.

Old 07-30-2005 | 06:00 PM
|
monday morning im going to see whats up. well see what these stealers say now

Old 07-30-2005 | 06:05 PM
my friend's 04 6mt grinds 5th gear as well, with no mods.. and there are other threads about problmes with 5th gear, its not your mods

Old 07-30-2005 | 06:40 PM
|
yea i know its not the mods...just such BS that they tried using that against me. i was like wtf? then the whole speed shifting thing, that he just pulled out of his as$. ive driven stick for years, i know how to drive it. driven M3's, porsche turbo's, and even a modded mini cooper S thats faster than my g, on stock clutch. never heard of this

Old 07-30-2005 | 07:25 PM
Walking The Fine Line...
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Originally Posted by neffster
Then just remind them that this transmission is used in another Infiniti product with ~340bhp. There's no way possible the exhaust, springs and clear corners added that much hp/tq (unless of course he had JDM badging...)
LOL! Agree again. Rather than do battle in a pointless argument I thought it would be easier for him to try it again somewhere else.

Old 07-30-2005 | 07:40 PM
Never enough
This tranny thing is BS. When are they going to do a recall! How many cars does it take?? Everyone I know around town has the same problem. That and the rear axle click.

Old 07-30-2005 | 08:56 PM
|
ya really. THey have to do a full re-call on it. Its not liek they would lose that much money. Do you know HOW many G35's they sell? Its insane. such a bargain car, that it sells liek freakin hot cakes. THey would still be making profits, AND they can get satisfied customers who would then return and purchase another infiniti b/c they took care of them. My dad's MBZ had a tiny re-call on brake sensors or something. Nothing big at all. They didnt know which ones exactly, so they recalled ALL the 2003+ E500's to come in and replace them whether or not it had the problem. That is why people go back to MBZ, b/c they get taken care of. Pisses me off, Infiniti will def hear from this.
Does anyone suggest going to the media, because I have ALOT of connections in the media (abc, ktla, cbs) concerning not my personal case, but the case of all transmissions? I tihnk that can cause some pretty hefty damage to Infiniti tho. Or I can threaten to go to the media unless they take care of it???

Old 07-30-2005 | 11:21 PM
It Will never happen because a full on recall would be a huge expense...Figure it would cost at least 5-6k per car.

As for the clutch thats not in my opinion the culprit. Its just I think shifting too hard or quickly for the synchros to handle. I mean to chew up a syncro that high up you would really have to be pounding through the gearbox, or just had a bad unit. The design of the syncro teeth can have a huge impact on durability. But it just seems that its a random problem. It just seems to magnified because on a BB the only owners that are venting are the ones that are unhappy.

It was a huge issue with the subaru 5spd gearbox too. But the funny thing was that really te US market was the only one that was having such wide spread failures...The rest of the world knew it was weak but they never broke as often as they do over here. But in most cases the gear failures were resulting from abuse or just flat out dumping of the clutch....

Again I think its a random issue and some times it could be a defect in the tranny and others it could be the driving style that killed them. We aren't talking about gear failures...Just synchros....I mean are some of the people driving with there hand resting on the shifter? Or just shifting really really hard into that gear. Cause the synchro's job is to get everything going at the same speed so you have a smooth engagement between the teeth and a smooth shift. They can only go so fast, you try to get them to move faster then they are designed and you will have excess wear on them and a failure down the road.

Sti owners had the same issue on the 6spd. But that was because in the us market they used a talled 5th gear then the rest of the world and it required the synchro to spin a much taller gear....BUT in the end the majority of people with that failure were ones again pounding through the box WAY too fast.

sorry for the rant...hell I don't even HAVE my G yet, but it was just a observation...Its just cheaper to deal with the ones that have issues then recall them all..Its not a safety issue, its a performance issue with I think people getting to the limits of what the car can do.

Old 07-31-2005 | 12:55 AM
That sucks. Dealers like this you can assume probably get this problem a lot and just want to look for any way out of not fixing it, and are quick to play dumb. My personal favorite is the "this is the first time" or "i have never seen/heard of anything like this" etc.. to start their BS explination on how bizzare your problem is.

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:03 AM
|
oh ya, they said they have never done with before the first time. Then in this forum, i read that someone had their trranny replaced over there. Now i know its BS now. I guess a recall wouldnt be smart cusz it would cost alot. I understand that people can shift VERY fast and very hard and break the synchros. BUT i can shift fast, but not so hard and so fast as to break synchros. Ive driven other cars but never heard of this happening. Take the M3 i drove for example. I drove the **** out of that, plus my cousin drives that car so hard on canyons, highways etc. and still nothing like this happened to his car.
confused and annoyed

Old 07-31-2005 | 08:36 AM
You won't break a synchro, they are matching brass gears that get your tranny up to speed...But when you shift too fast you force them to meet and when that happens you take a small amount of the tooth profile off...After a while you get a grinding sound....You can try a different gear oil, and sometimes that can help, but once the damage is done, usually it can't be made any better.

Try double clutching till they fix it, it will take a little longer to shift but it will help alot!

But the thing that really kills synchors is moving through gears faster then they can get them up to speed..next time you are in your car shifting....just put the clutch in and take the shifter to the gate of the gear you are trying to go into....And hold in there, you should hear a faint whinning sound, thats your synchros doing there jobs.

Old 07-31-2005 | 04:57 PM
|
ya i understand that completely, but isnt this a sports car? isnt it supposd to be a car that can be driven somewhat hard? i dont want to have to do slowww shifts every time i want to have some fun... the tranny has to be able to handle someee what fast shifts.

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:20 PM
same sh*t happend to me, my car is at the dealer right now and im having the same problem except mine high revs at every gear even when the clutch is fully released...they want to charge me $1700 to replace, i told them forget, just tow my car back home, and they told me $500 bucks for checking it, my dad was also with me and he went crazy and called the headquarters, they still refuse to cover it so right now i dont have any option but to replace it or go with an aftermarket clutch. i hate infiniti service, everyone who works there are all a$$holes! good luck with your situation bro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer blames mods and ME! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT TO ME!