G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer giving me a new tranny!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer giving me a new tranny!

I made an appointment for a few tsbs (greasy windows, clicking noise from back, rattling mirror) and almost forgot to mentioned 3rd gear grind . The dealer just called me back and said "We have to replaced your tranny, syncros bad". I was like wha? At only 13k miles? Anyone here had the same tranny issue? Now, I'm so secure with the G's reliability

Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 PM
i've grinded third twice now, and i dont know if it's from my improper shift or the tranny.

my car only has 250 miles on it now.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tranny

I don't really grind, but when shifting to 3rd, I feel a notch almost everytime. Dealer stated it's normal, so I don't know. Let us know after they swap the tranny, if the notchiness or grinding still exists.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Atooraya
i've grinded third twice now, and i dont know if it's from my improper shift or the tranny.

my car only has 250 miles on it now.
I would definitely take it back to them. I said the same thing to myself the other day, but I was like what the hell. It's still under warranty, and it won't hurt tell the dealer the problem. Good luck with your tranny

Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
[. Let us know after they swap the tranny, if the notchiness or grinding still exists.[/QUOTE]
I certainly will

Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok, got a call from the dealer said the car's ready. I asked the service guy on the phone "So it's a new tranny right?" He then said it's a "REMANUFACTURED FROM THE FACTORY". Aren't they supposed to put in a brand NEW tranny for me since the original was a defect?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SinG35c
Ok, got a call from the dealer said the car's ready. I asked the service guy on the phone "So it's a new tranny right?" He then said it's a "REMANUFACTURED FROM THE FACTORY". Aren't they supposed to put in a brand NEW tranny for me since the original was a defect?
I believe the warranty states new or like new. As long as it carries the remainder of the factory warranty, there is no difference to you. I mean, your other one was brand new and it failed, who's to say the next brand new one wouldn't do the same thing, or last forever? The same can be said for a refurbished box.

I would talk to the dealer about it though. Risk or no, if my tranny crapped the bed I would want the replacement to be lifted out of a virgin packing crate.

Good luck - let us know how it comes out.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 PM
^^I just hope this tranny will hold up for a long time. I don't abuse my car and it crapped out on me .

Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

^^I just hope this tranny will hold up for a long time. I don't abuse my car and it crapped out on me .
Understood. Machines sometimes just break. Let's hope yours was an isolated case and not a 'tell-all' sign of what's to come. If you don't beat on your car I'm sure you'll have better luck this time around.

Sometimes stuff just happens. It's unlikely it'll happen twice to the same guy. I would still ask the dealer about the refurb though - I would want a spanking new one too.

Cross your fingers - I'm sure it'll be fine.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks, GeeWill. Now, is there a break-in period for the refurb tranny ?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I think a brand new one should be put in...
Remanufactured trannies are like celeron processor... nothing is never as good as brand new.. In addition, brand new tranny is more likely to fail later than an used one

Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM
^^Sure, a new tranny would be sweet, but the work's already complete. Dunno if I can make them put a brand new tranny in now. But if this one fails me, I would give them hell and will not settle for any more refurbish shiit. I only have 2yrs of warranty remaining .

Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trans

^^Sure, a new tranny would be sweet, but the work's already complete. Dunno if I can make them put a brand new tranny in now. But if this one fails me, I would give them hell and will not settle for any more refurbish shiit. I only have 2yrs of warranty remaining .
Just go drive it already, I'm dying to find out if the 3 gear is fixed or is it still notchy. Let us know.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Thanks, GeeWill. Now, is there a break-in period for the refurb tranny ?
I'd talk to the dealer about what work was done on the tranny to have it re-issued as a refurb. Normally they'll be able to refer to a work-order number that will tell them what was done. I would think that the maintenance done would have bearing on any kind of break-in limitation.

As for new vs refurb, it can go either way.

You had a brand new tranny when you bought the car and it failed on you. The tranny you have installed now has been opened up, inspected, and repaired by trained technicians. Rather than suspect the worst, I would hope for the best. I'd like to think that the technician went over the box from end-to-end and looked at the overall condition of the inner workings, corrected the problem that it was turned in for PLUS whatever other nickel & dime things they may have come across.

See if they can tell you why the tranny was inducted for rework. It could have been something simple - you never know.

At this point, the glass has to be half full.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by ensheep
I think a brand new one should be put in...
Remanufactured trannies are like celeron processor... nothing is never as good as brand new.. In addition, brand new tranny is more likely to fail later than an used one
Huh? You say you think a brand new one should be put in, then say a brand new tranny is more likely to fail later than a used one.

you lost me at hello.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer giving me a new tranny!